How did you get Notify-OSD to run in Gnome 3?
Tofloor
poster avatar
chocolate
deepin
2012-07-21 13:51
Author
I've been wanting to do this since I began using Gnome 3! I can't figure it out though! I was looking at the /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ from Linux Deepin and found that notificationDaemon.js wasn't there and any references in main.js were commented out. I did the same in my install of Ubuntu 12.04, but I can't figure out how you Notify-OSD runs in gnome 3!
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
ManateeLazyCat
deepin
2012-07-21 15:41
First, you need delete file notificationDaemon.js and remove from js/Makefile.am
Second, you need find all code about notificationDaemon, and commented out them.
Then should be work, details please pull code of Deepin Gnome Shell with command:
git clone https://github.com/linuxdeepin/deepin-gnome-shell.git
Reply View the author
chocolate
deepin
2012-07-21 16:40
So deleting notificationDaemon.js and removing the main.js almost seemed to work, except now I don't get any notifications tested via notify-send. Sometimes when I login, notify-osd is running instead of the gnome-shell notifications.... so I'm almost there? Is there an installable package of the deepin version of gnome-shell or are there any certain files I can replace to get notify-osd to work flawlessly without compiling the deepin-gnome-shell?
Reply View the author
ManateeLazyCat
deepin
2012-07-21 21:23
No, you also need delete notificationDaemon.js from js/Makefile.am and "re-compile" gnome-shell!
Because gnome-shell write those setup in code and compile notification daemon in binary file "gnome-shell", if you don't re-compile gnome-shell, gnome-shell still will use DBus interface "notification.freedestkop.org" that make notify-osd can't work.

Hope above will help you, good luck!
Reply View the author
chocolate
deepin
2012-07-22 00:43
Ah I see! Well, I was able to find the packages for gnome-shell and gnome-shell-common on one of the posts here on the forums. Worked like a charm! NotifyOSD is working and the only problem I had was with overview.js, which I replaced from the gnome-shell version from the ubuntu install.
Reply View the author