Some suggestions to deepin devs
Tofloor
poster avatar
DisappearingOak
deepin
2012-12-25 10:28
Author
Hi, I really liked Deepin before the 12.06 release, but with 12.06 there were numerous problems like Gnome Shell hanging on login (which I later discovered happened on Ubuntu also, so not Deepin's fault.) etc. But I have a problem with the English edition of Deepin in that there is not so much attention to detail like in the application overview the names of apps are crammed into very tiny space resulting in stuff like "Libr.." etc. While I realize the less space works well for Chinese language as a lot can probably be said in just a couple of symbols, who knows, but it's an inconvenience with English. That is not the only place where I had such a problem but also in apps like Deepin's music player. For english I can't see a full word properly, even, just a lot of ellipses ("....") and no way to resize the columns to display text properly. So I hope that will all be fixed in the new version so English users can also use it well.

I know there will be a new desktop environment in the next edition.  I hope that more attention is given to these places as it can be an annoyance with long use. I love the fact that the Deepin apps are skinnable and beautiful. I hope the new Desktop environment will also be as colourful and engaging as Deepin's other software. Thanks for reading,
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
lihongwu
deepin
2012-12-25 18:01
Thanks for mentioning this. I will keep an eye on the problem and make sure all the apps in the menu and all the characters in apps will be shown properly in the next release. I feel very sorry that quite a few details have not been taken enough care by the Linux Deepin Team. This will be avoided for the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again for your feedback.

Yours truly,
Alex Lee
Linux Deepin Team
Reply View the author
Nobuo
deepin
2012-12-28 15:29
please remove my post completely
Reply View the author
jomak
deepin
2012-12-29 17:10
Super-duper! I have one question though, I hope there is an option to put the panel back to the top. I prefer it being on the top.
Reply View the author
lihongwu
deepin
2012-12-29 21:13
Super-duper! I have one question though, I hope there is an option to put the panel back to the top. I prefer it being on the top.
I have asked a relevant developer about it and he said there will not be such option for the time being.
Reply View the author
jomak
deepin
2012-12-31 07:54
I've been using gnome for five years and I got used to top panel layout. It will be strange going back to the windows design again. Five years ago when I quit windows, I picked gnome because it resembled less to windows than Kde. The top panel arrangement gives more coherent layout, it imitates the applications' drop down menu. Due to gravity, our real life experiences connect better with top down design as we feel that arrangement more spontaneous. Twenty years ago when windows was conceived, interface design was non-existent. Bill Gates picked the bottom of the screen randomly. If he would have picked a side panel, most people would use that design today. Modern operating systems (mac, gnome), however moved away from this layout for good reasons; extensive research in user behavior didn't validate the windows layout. The location of the panel should be optional, this is a must in every modern desktop environment.
Reply View the author
Nobuo
deepin
2012-12-31 16:14
please remove my post completely
Reply View the author
DisappearingOak
deepin
2013-01-01 02:03
Hi all. What time today can we expect the beta?
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2013-01-01 02:13
Hi all. What time today can we expect the beta?
Sorry, should be postponed
Reply View the author