Is not Compiz a dead project?
Tofloor
poster avatar
DisappearingOak
deepin
2013-01-23 22:23
Author
It's no worries. We have our own developers.  ;)
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
DisappearingOak
deepin
2013-01-23 22:16
It seems from the news that Compiz will no longer be developed, the lead developer has given up on the project and it seems the next version of Ubuntu will possibly use Weston instead of Compiz. I do not know how window managers work but what are deepin's plans since compiz no longer will be developed?
Reply View the author
Freddy1X
deepin
2013-06-21 02:19
So that mean, Compiz will still be develope by LD developers?
It will be forked, in other word?
Reply View the author
zhaixiang
deepin
2013-06-21 06:23
deepin-compiz will be available (open source to compiz fans) ASAP
Reply View the author
c***v@gmail.com
deepin
2013-06-21 08:06
deepin-compiz will be available (open source to compiz fans) ASAP

Excellent.
But, could you allow other plugins to work too in Deepin? How about rotating cube & wobbly windows?
Reply View the author
zhaixiang
deepin
2013-06-21 16:40
Hi Chdslv, you can ping hukang, core developer of deepin-compiz, via https://github.com/hukang

And deepin-compiz under hukang`s git repos is not the lastest one, but the private repos will be open source to fans ASAP
Reply View the author
hkdeepin
deepin
2013-06-24 18:55
So that mean, Compiz will still be develope by LD developers?

we use a forked compiz for LD and adapt it to our needs. we have removed all the plugins we don't use and changed some plugin's behavior.  sometimes we backport patches from compiz main trunk on launchpad. we have also pushed patches to upstream.

compiz is a dead project. currently it's in maintence mode.
there's a time gap between now and the time when wayland is ready. so we'll stick
to compiz for a while.

there's still a long way to go for wayland (a lot of infrastructure changes are needed).  I hope it'll be production ready by the end of the next year.
Reply View the author
Freddy1X
deepin
2013-06-25 06:42
[quote]So that mean, Compiz will still be develope by LD developers?

we use a forked compiz for LD and adapt it to our needs. we have removed all the plugins we don't use and changed some plugin's behavior.  sometimes we backport patches from compiz main trunk on launchpad. we have also pushed patches to upstream.

compiz is a dead project. currently it's in maintence mode.
there's a time gap between now and the time when wayland is ready. so we'll stick
to compiz for a while.

there's still a long way to go for wayland (a lot of infrastructure changes are needed).  I hope it'll be production ready by the end of the next year.[/quote]

This is a good news for us. A lot of user will be happy with this decision to maintain Compiz. But there are still several questions that I had in mind.

1. Can I add other plugins for deepin-compiz? I would love to see a lot of other animations.

2. When I used Firefox, a lot of 'blinking' problem occured on the screen. This is not happening with Google Chrome.
Reply View the author