Things I Did after Installing Deepin 2013
Tofloor
poster avatar
Platypus
deepin
2013-12-14 17:06
Author
Hi there,
This **may** be on interested to people, especially those who are newcomers to Linux. I have found my Deepin 2013 very stable compared with my Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm loving it.

So here is what I have done to enhance my Deepin 2013 experience:

1. Set up extra packages:
- Synaptic, Gparted, Grsync, Cryptkeeper, Hardinfo, dconf Editor, Recoll

2. Installed packages requiring PPAs (i.e. not in the repository): ClassicMenu-Indicator, apt-fast, Grub-Customizer, and a Samsung MFP packages (and completely purged the default Samsung printer package).

Apt-fast might be useful if you have trouble with the download speed owing to lack of bandwidth. It is a command-line equivalent to apt-get but does speed up download of packages. It is still under development and will soon include a higher speed apt-get update equivalent (you can use apt-fast update already but it has not been fully implemented yet as I understand it).

3. I used the Additional Drivers option in System Settings to install my nVidia drivers. All good!

4. Copied over from Ubuntu my hidden Thunderbird, Mozilla, Crossover, and encfs files. This brings over all my stuff (settings and data) from TB and FF. I also copied from /etc my fstab file to make setting up of other drives easy.

5. Install crossover and vmware (you might like to use other alternatives like Play on Linux, Wine and Virtual Box).

6. Fixed fonts. I did this by installing gnome tweak-tool and starting it in terminal. Be careful with this: I only used it because it gave me control over the system font sizes. I also had problems with white spaces after apostrophes in Firefox and Thunderbird. I fixed this using a number of tricks. Firstly I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer and enabled gucharmap.

What have you done to enhance your Deepin?

Cheers
Platypus
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
cxbii
deepin
2013-12-18 02:13
enjoy it!
Reply View the author