32-bit applications won't install with DSC on 64-bit system.
Tofloor
poster avatar
omelette
deepin
2014-03-24 09:15
Author
It seems I'm wrong about this.  There are 2 versions of 'libgtkmm-2.4' displayed with DSC ("libgtkmm-2.4" and "libgtkmm-2.4:i386") but only one displayed with Synaptic package manager ("libgtkmm-2.4").  I can install 'libgtkmm-2.4' with both DSC and Synaptic, but these are 64-bit libraries - not what I want!

So my question now becomes, "why does DSC list i386 files in the repositories but won't install them on 64-bit Deepin?"  After all, they're not much use if they can't be installed.  I have installed several i386 apps on Deepin 64-bit already, 'Wine 1.6.2_i386' for instance, so I know its possible.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
omelette
deepin
2014-03-19 06:05
Although Deepin Software Center lists 32-bit applications on my 64-bit computer, it will not install them - clicking the install button generates the install-animation, but nothing is actually installed.  Whereas Synaptic package manager will install them.  Is this normal?
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2014-03-19 17:06
Please tell us what the software can not be installed, thank you
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-03-22 14:20
Gparted in the repositories is really old and buggy (0.12.1, whereas 0.18.0 is the current release) and I was trying to get a newer version to work with Deepin.  For this I needed 32-bit 'libgtkmm-2.4' libraries.  These are available in the Deepin repositories.  When I click on 'libgtkmm-2.4-dev' for instance, it will not install, whereas if I try installing with Synaptic package manager it succeeds.

I also tried two games, one being 'atanks:i386', it will not install either, but will with Synaptic.  I presumed after these failures that DSC will not install any i386 applications.
Reply View the author