DI 2014 video
Tofloor
poster avatar
Platypus
deepin
2014-04-11 13:13
Author
Hi guys, do you know when 2014 Edition will be released? Is it based upon Ubuntu 14.04 ?
Greetings Anti
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Platypus
deepin
2014-04-06 21:47
Hi there,

Came across this in the Twitter: https://twitter.com/linux_deepin

DI 2014 sneak-peek video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?fe ... p;v=-m1gw1oEas0

From the desktop shots it looks like Firefox has given way to Chrome.

Cheers
Platypus
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-04-07 08:24
I never understood the fascination with Chrome.  Especially since Google is one of the very worst when it comes to tracking users - small wonder since it makes its money from advertising I suppose!  But what about the known microphone exploit that they have known about for months but still have not fixed? - http://bgr.com/2014/01/22/chrome-microp ... b-exploit/

I adored Opera for nearly a decade, but since they appear to have have practically abandoned Linux, Firefox is more than adequate.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-04-07 15:10
Yes, I'm not 100% certain about the move to Chrome but it looks that way since the survey they ran supported the shift. I will install Firefox again since I have been a user of it since it came out - even in its pre-release days when it had another name (Sunbird I think it was). There are many alternatives out in the world these days (Maxthon, Qudzilla, Midori etc) but Firefox has lots of add-ons that I like to use. So I will stay with it, even if it is a bit slow because of this.
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-04-08 11:48
I forgot to add, that new Deepin looks kool!!!  I was under the impression that Deepin employed a type of rolling-release, in the way that Arch Linux does - obviously not.  I'll definitely be upgrading when it's finally released.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-04-08 14:41
Yes it does look cool.
What I have noticed about DI is that each release provides quite different desktop from each other. The desktop never remains static - which in many ways is good assuming each upgrade provides a better experience. However, if you like a particular desktop an upgrade could potentially provide a less pleasing desktop than the former one. So we are always at the mercy of the developers and so far I can say they have been pretty clever.
I like 2013 and find it easy and intuitive. My daughter, who uses Ubuntu 12.04 LTS saw it the other day and now wants me to install DeepIn on her box.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-04-11 17:12
Don't know other than late April I read in one of the Twitter posts. In fact Twitter and blog site gives more info than what is here (at least on the English forums).
Reply View the author
lizardo221
deepin
2014-04-16 07:49
I like alot of what Deepin does with its designs and the way it builds a unique desktop. I'm a firefox guy myself but google does make good products (if you don't mind big brother watching you). I completely get why the plank design might be used over the menu bar, though I the Deepin bar did have its unique character to be fair. Not sure about the style of some of the app icons, but I am nit picking on that. I left Deepin a couple months ago when it seemed clear the glaring problems I pointed out would not be fixed any time soon (some things still in chinese, software center had horrible download rates - talking bytes/second speed, and the game center might possibly be breaking international laws - how does the Japanese character Mario, the Mario owned exclusively by Nintendo, find itself on some game in there?). I would like a chance though to see an update to this distro that hopefully ends some of my worries so this alpha looks promising.
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-04-25 03:40
What you might consider glaring problems, many/most would consider trivial.  The translation problem has been more or less resolved, the software center download problem has an obvious fix - change the default repository, and the 'copyright problem'.... well, if you're seriously worried about getting busted over something that trivial, maybe the problem is not with Deepin but with the country you live in!  Sorry, but practically no one would use that as an excuse to ditch an OS.
Reply View the author