2014 RC Initial observations
Tofloor
poster avatar
Platypus
deepin
2014-06-21 22:22
Author
Startup Applications in gnome and xfce is a menu option that offers a GUI where apps can be added to auto-started at boot up. I can't see how to do this in 2014 RC. Many apps have this as an option but many don't - you have to manually include it in the Startup Applications window.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Platypus
deepin
2014-06-16 20:01
Firstly I appreciate the work that has gone into making improvements to many of the problems found in the alpha and beta releases. Here are some comments on the RC.

1. The Welcome and Introductory slide show is very buggy. It is not clear what to do with some of the steps. The one that confused me the most was "lace 3 apps on desktop click right" (or something similar) and nothing happened. Besides I didn't want 3 aps on my desktop and I couldn't find a way to abort the slide show. I exited to logout and started over.

2. The installation slide show is too quick (for English) and there are many grammar problems, and even the favourite problem of the apostrophe. There should not be a space after it. The default English fonts continue to have this bug. I recommend English users install ttf-mscorefonts-installer  [color=#FF0000:3j8bxe37]Please send me the text of the slide show and I will fix the grammar and expression for you!!!! Seriously! [/color:3j8bxe37]

3. I installed the nvidia driver 310.updates and it lost the Control Center. I will try other Nvidia options to see if I can get it to work. [color=#FF0000:3j8bxe37]
Edit: I have applied the suggested fix from the Nvidia thread. It fixed the problem.[/color:3j8bxe37]

4. With the installation of the partitions the app doesn't find all my partitions. After fiddling around I clicked backwards and there they were all listed. Either the installation program jumps a page or there is a serious problem with it. It would be very confusing for a first time Windows user to know what to do.

5. There is a problem with setting wallpapers from the Image Viewer app. It creates folders in /home that use symbols for names followed by (invalid encoding). I have filed a bug report.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-06-17 13:10
6. I can't find a way to include an app in startup. What am I missing?

7. There is no right click menu on desktop items (e.g. properties or delete etc.) Work around is to go through the file manager to the desktop folder. It is a yet another handy feature removed. Why?
Reply View the author
Shinmaru
deepin
2014-06-17 15:08
6. I can't find a way to include an app in startup. What am I missing?
Can you redefine startup?
Did you mean favorites in the launcher menu or was it Auto Start an app upon login?
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2014-06-24 07:36
Same observation, It could be profitable to implement an auto-start GUI in order to add application to be started on boot.
I'm testing Deepin 2014.. ;)
Reply View the author
tylik
deepin
2014-06-25 01:05
I've found some issues:

1> the process mousearea crashes once a time.

2> brightness doesn't work properly - randomly jumps from one level to another.

3> display - I can see sometimes a glitch on my screen. Dunno why. I have 2 graphics cards. Intel HD and Geforce GT 720.

4> sound - I'm using internal mic. and in the settings is by default internal volume - 10%. It's not enough so I set it to 20%. It's quite fine but Team Speak 3 where it's completely unstable.
Maybe I could record a video so that you can see what happens

5> disable touchpad button (f6) doesn't work.

6> dock - clock icon - still shows 24 h instead of 12. I've set it in the setting center.

7> video player - If I open a video I can see a glitch.

8> renaming files - if a name is longer, can't rename it.

now what could be done better:

1> file manager (files) - add the functionality to type paths manually.  
And I'd love to see dolphin as the default file manager.

more coming..
Reply View the author
tylik
deepin
2014-06-25 05:03
I would replace the terminal icon. It's weird. D ... I would use something like Arch Linux has or similar.
Reply View the author
tylik
deepin
2014-07-03 23:41
9 > Font Coding - sometimes I see only this ʒʒʒʒʒ instead of a real character.
I'm using EN US language and I've installed MS fonts.
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2014-07-14 23:23
1> the process mousearea crashes once a time.
Please tell us the errors.
2> brightness doesn't work properly - randomly jumps from one level to another.
Brightness depends on drive, we can not resolve this problem.
3> display - I can see sometimes a glitch on my screen. Dunno why. I have 2 graphics cards. Intel HD and Geforce GT 720.
This a drive problem, and we can not resolve recently.
4> sound - I'm using internal mic. and in the settings is by default internal volume - 10%. It's not enough so I set it to 20%. It's quite fine but Team Speak 3 where it's completely unstable.
Maybe I could record a video so that you can see what happens
Please choose the output way in Deepin Control Centre.

5> disable touchpad button (f6) doesn't work.
Some shortcut keys need to support by your drive.
6> dock - clock icon - still shows 24 h instead of 12. I've set it in the setting center.

Sorry, this function is not supported now.
7> video player - If I open a video I can see a glitch.
Please use Deepin Movie.
8> renaming files - if a name is longer, can't rename it.
Please tell us the number of characters.
Reply View the author