Deepin Linux 2014 still needs polishing...
Tofloor
poster avatar
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-07 08:26
Author
First, let me congradulate the deepin team on a beautiful os.  Deepin 2014 looks more eye pleasing and more forward thinking than most linux distro's out there.

But there are a few issues that should have been fixed before the final release:

1) "nvidia drivers" - There is a strange problem with these video drivers when I tried installing them in the rc release that caused the system slider dock to stop working along with the desktop hotspots.  I expected them to be working when the final was issued but unfortunately this was not the case. Why?...

2) "Suspend mode" - When I tried to use this option my screen went dark which is what I expected it to do. But when I tried to wake the system up all I got was a wallpaper with no login window or system options.

I also noticed that Deepin 2014 is using btrfs file system which is cool. But one problem I had  when installing in legacy (grub) mode was that it didn't install at all. When I rebooted I got a grub error so I rebooted the live disc and installed  in UEFI mode.  This worked fine but when I first used the installer I was told that my hard drive needed to be formatted in "GPT" format.  If my hard drive was formatted in gpt would the legacy (grub) installation have worked?

Another issue I had was with the graphical installer too.  There needs to be more options as far as file system choices such as "ext4" and "LVM". "BTRFS" is fine but many other users may wish to use one of these file systems too. Last but not least is the live disc boot screen which should have an option "installation" and "system tools" which would give the user tools to do repairs such as bootup issues or file corruptions. Another utilities missing is "Startup Applications" so that a user can add or disable system functions.

Anyway the deepin dev crew should be congradulated on a fine distro and hope these issues will be addressed soon.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-07 14:39
This not a rant of course. All I'm trying give is a honest asessment to issues that should have been resolved earlier and of few improvement suggestions.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-07 19:13
The lack of a good fix for Nvidia cards is disappointing.
Reply View the author
electricface
deepin
2014-07-07 19:31
mark
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-07 19:41
Yes and why wasn't this resolved before the final released? Shouldn't this have been a priority issue that should have been working before the rc was elevated to final status?

And has anyone else experienced issues with the suspend mode?
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-07 19:44
Thank you electricface and looking forward to the update fixes.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-08 03:06
I reported the nvidia issue when it was RC but nothing has changed.
Also:
1) Synaptic is not in the repository :-0   I got the .deb from sofpedia.
2) Grub Customizer graphic appears on the home page of the Deepin Software Center  but is not in the repository.
3) Potential ****Security issue***** (I think). After downloading (or trying to download - the repo is overloaded) the Deepin Software Center  "locks" remain open in /var/??? folder. The only way to force it to close is to reboot (I haven't checked to see if this process is visible in System Monitor though.) Logout does not stop the process. Since there is no Administrator authorisation required for Software Center it seems this might be a security vulnerability. That is the way it is behaving for me at the moment. I will confirm this later and file a bug report.
Reply View the author
electricface
deepin
2014-07-08 03:25
synaptic:
  Installed: 0.81.1ubuntu1
  Candidate: 0.81.1ubuntu1
  Version table:
*** 0.81.1ubuntu1 0
        400 http://packages.linuxdeepin.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.81.1 0
        400 http://packages.linuxdeepin.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
Reply View the author
electricface
deepin
2014-07-08 03:27
pgrep -f deepin-software-center|xargs sudo kill
or use "sudo htop"
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2014-07-08 07:24
I think that the Deepin Desktop Enbironment 2.0 is too heavy.  :ugeek:
Developers have to work hard in order to optimize it..  ;)
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-08 09:34
Deepin Desktop Envirament 2.0 is new so this should be expected. The deepin dev team will need some time to tweak and improve its performance. This can also be caused by compiz too.  As it is now its a work of beauty. Well done!  
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2014-07-14 19:32
1) "nvidia drivers" - There is a strange problem with these video drivers when I tried installing them in the rc release that caused the system slider dock to stop working along with the desktop hotspots.  I expected them to be working when the final was issued but unfortunately this was not the case. Why?...
Our OS does not support nvidia driver, because it will cause failure to  QT5 program.
2) "Suspend mode" - When I tried to use this option my screen went dark which is what I expected it to do. But when I tried to wake the system up all I got was a wallpaper with no login window or system options.
"Suspend mode" usually is unable to wake up  under Linux, so we give up this function.
I also noticed that Deepin 2014 is using btrfs file system which is cool. But one problem I had  when installing in legacy (grub) mode was that it didn't install at all. When I rebooted I got a grub error so I rebooted the live disc and installed  in UEFI mode.  This worked fine but when I first used the installer I was told that my hard drive needed to be formatted in "GPT" format.  If my hard drive was formatted in gpt would the legacy (grub) installation have worked?
Legacy (grub) installation does not support the newest  UEFI and  gpt .
Reply View the author
finid
deepin
2014-07-14 21:52
"Suspend mode" usually is unable to wake up under Linux, so we give up this function.

But suspend works on mine, both manually and automatically.
Reply View the author