Cannot boot Windows 7 install after installing Deepin
Tofloor
poster avatar
ismaeldabo79
deepin
2014-07-09 17:35
Author
I've done a dual-boot setup between D 2014 and Windows 7 on a PC with UEFI firmware and it worked . No problems at all.

Will post a step-by-step soon, if it will help anybody.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
ismaeldabo79
deepin
2014-07-08 12:15
Hello everyone,

I have done the severe mistake of installing Deepin on top of a Windows 7 installation (within the same partition). I thought that I would be presented with the possibility to choose if I want Deepin alongside my windows install (a bit like Ubuntu) but nothing of that nature happened. Now Deepin boots and load fine but when selecting my Windows installation I have got the boot file missing error, stating that I need to use the REPAIR option with the Windows 7 DVD, which does not work. So I suspect that Deepin changed my HDD structure to be only 'ext journal' and no more NTFS, ignoring but not deleting Windows. Any idea how could I revert that, if possible?
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-08 17:07
I feel your pain. The DI 2014 RC had a problem with installing to the correct partition and I was pleased to see that this was fixed in the final release. The Deepin grub menu DOES miss some partitions on its first attempt. I've found if you open Boot Menu and affirm your preferences, then next time you boot all your Operating Systems will eventually show.

Before you do anything, start GParted Partion Editor (its in the Launcher) and see what it is telling you about your partitions on your HDD. See if you can still see the NTFS partition. If it is still there then you might be okay.

If you DO NOT have one of these new computers that Micro$oft has UEFI (or whatever it is called) AND your NTFS partitions are still there, then I would suggest downloading a copy of Boot-Repair. There is plenty of information about this on the Ubuntu sites. It will take a bit of work on your part but it will be worth it.
Best of luck
Reply View the author
ismaeldabo79
deepin
2014-07-09 05:07
Cheers for your reply but since it was a new install of Windows 7 anyway, I am going with the pleasure of re-installing it but this time around splitting the HDD. The main pain is reinstalling all the software thank god there is http://ninite.com to install all the necessary free softwares all in one go. Otherwise I will go crazy  :twisted:. I nearly did!!

Thanks for your reply though, next time I know what to do.
Reply View the author
finid
deepin
2014-07-09 20:16
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2014-07-14 20:58
  1. sudo update-grub
Copy the Code
Please execute the above command by Deepin terminal to bet back your Windows 7, which is a bug and we will fix soon.
Reply View the author