DI 2014 Final, Observations
Tofloor
poster avatar
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-09 19:10
Author
With respect, I am not "comparing" with Ubuntu 12.04. I'm simply pointing out that things worked there. For example there were once issues with my wireless USB using the standard network manager. However, this was resolved by installing WICD. But I can't do that in DI2014.

As for the graphics, I have an nvidia box and a ATI Raedon box. I have installed these drivers on both boxes many times. And I even got the nvidia working in the 2014 RC. But it crashed after an update and the previous fix did not getting it working again.

And yes, I do have a real box. It is not the box that slows the Software Manager. There are any number of other factors. Software Manager dies. It is okay with small jobs though. That is why I recommend the terminal until this is resolved. Remember not everywhere in the world has blistering download speeds.

As for suspend, I am not the only person who  has come across this issue. It was a problem in Ubuntu 13.10 too.

Finally, no it is not installed in either vmware or virtual box.

You are one of the lucky ones to have a machine that happily works with Deepin 2014. Best of luck to you.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-09 02:16
I have installed DI 2014 on two desktop boxes. These are my issues:
1) Can't load outside sources. I haven't tried any PPAs yet but even manually loading through terminal has no affect.

2) Control Center has you by the scrotum (ouch!). Any attempt to use a tool to fix device problems is thwarted because all the good old tools will uninstall control center. So things like blueman, synaptic, wicd, pulse GUI etc are not available to be used. This OS is definitely not suited to a number of desktop configurations because there is no way (other than perhaps through the command-line) to fix issues.

3) Can't manage Bluetooth devices easily. I'm sure the Control Center offering is probably okay if your device behaves well and connects easily but if there is a difficulty there is no GUI to deal with the issue. I can't manage my headphones & mic device. It sees it but won't connect. It was never a problem in DI 2013 and Ubuntu 12.04.

4) Graphic cards fail. Neither of my boxes with nvidia or Raedon cards worked as they should.

5) There is a problem with Software Center. When there is multiple download, or the download is large, Software Center gives up. The sign of it dying is the download speed read-out decreases very slowly until you become fed up waiting. The down load speed readout keeps throwing up numbers even when it is not downloading...." Recommend using terminal because there was no problem with that.

6) Wireless dongle worked reliably in Ubuntu 12.04 but is inconsistent in DI 2014.

7) SD card won't mount on one of the boxes and randomly closes on the other.

Now not all these issues apply to both machines. However, none of these were an issue with older versions of Ubuntu and Deepin.

DI 2014 is a wonderfully conceived idea and I love the attempt at innovation but I don't believe it is really ready for prime time. There are far too many issues and no tools to fix them.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-09 02:58
8) Suspend doesn't work - that is, it doesn't restart to login. It just loads the blue background and stops.
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-09 05:13
I had the same problem Platypus with suspend mode. Deepin Linux 2014 is a beautiful distro but definitely shouldn't have been elevated to final status.  Beta 2 at best.

I've had other issues like programs freezing and slow performance.  When firefox froze I had enough and blew it up.  This should have never been given the green light and needs more time in the development oven.
Reply View the author
tylik
deepin
2014-07-09 05:59
9 > the system randomly doesn't respond. I guess it's due compiz where I can't click on anything.
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2014-07-09 06:46
9 > the system randomly doesn't respond. I guess it's due compiz where I can't click on anything.

This is also an issue I was having too. Whether compiz was causing the other issues such as video driver problems ( though I wasn't having any probs with the neauvou drivers ) and suspend mode and such is doubtful. Maybe...but if this is the case then they need to address this immediately  as this is causing an otherwise beautiful DE to go down in flames.
Reply View the author
Denco
deepin
2014-07-09 10:45
Same thing here. It seems to me like minimizing and maximizing the window helps.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-09 15:50
10) Installed Windows software using Crossover. I managed to populate the Launcher with them, moved one of the items to Favourites, but it won't pin to the dock. Workaround, pin it to the desktop - but would prefer the dock. Why? because when it is  minimised it vanishes into thin air - even though it is still running. Warning: don't minimise open Crossover apps. I will file a bug report.
Reply View the author
finid
deepin
2014-07-09 16:06
@ Platypus:

You seem to be comparing D 2014 with Ubuntu 12.04, which is not right. D 2014 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and, therefore, any comparison should be to it, not an older version of Ubuntu. Keep in mind that Ubuntu 14.04 has its issue too.

Here's my counter to some of your points:

1. On my installation, Suspend works beautifully, whether it is manually or automatically activated. Btw, my installation is on real hardware with an Intel Core i5 processor and using the integrated graphics.

2. So far my system has been responding like Speedy Gonzales. I just watched the match between Germany and Brazil online and had no problems at all. I installed Firefox, so did not use the default browser.

3. If you are having problems with graphics, check that the correct drivers are installed.

Oh, I have mine in a dual-boot setup with Windows 7 and was able to boot into either OS right after installation. I have a few issues with D 2014, but part of it is I'm still trying to figure out where things are.

If you are having issues with an installation in VirtualBox, check http://forum.linuxbsdos.com/topic/261/s ... eepin-2014
Reply View the author
oliveryty
deepin
2014-07-09 19:35
has you by the scrotum (ouch!)

……弱弱地问一下,这是蛋疼的意思么?我百度了一下,出来的画面太美我不敢看!!
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-09 20:50
@Olivertty,

It is an Australian expression (and probably elsewhere too) that means you are painfully tied up and can't move.  Many languages refer to this body part as "eggs" - certain SE Asian languages and Australian indigenous languages do. What does "egg pain mean" - "it hurts and you can't move or do anything about it"   ;)
Reply View the author
tylik
deepin
2014-07-09 23:16
[quote]9 > the system randomly doesn't respond. I guess it's due compiz where I can't click on anything.
Same thing here. It seems to me like minimizing and maximizing the window helps.[/quote]

yeah... this is annoying.
this distro is still too buggy.

I don't understand how can you release a stable version like this.. shame.
Reply View the author
finid
deepin
2014-07-10 01:00
So am I the only one not having any problems with Deepin 2014? It is working like a charm for me.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-07-10 01:48
@6) (Solved) Fixed by installing a non gtk version from the repos. It worked and wireless starts now every time at boot up.

Now all i have to do is find a way around the  bluetooth mess.
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2014-07-14 21:16
I have installed DI 2014 on two desktop boxes. These are my issues:
1) Can't load outside sources. I haven't tried any PPAs yet but even manually loading through terminal has no affect.
Please tell us the terminal report erros.
2) Control Center has you by the scrotum (ouch!). Any attempt to use a tool to fix device problems is thwarted because all the good old tools will uninstall control center. So things like blueman, synaptic, wicd, pulse GUI etc are not available to be used. This OS is definitely not suited to a number of desktop configurations because there is no way (other than perhaps through the command-line) to fix issues.
  1. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get --reinstall install dde-worksape
Copy the Code
Please execute the above command in terminal to solve your problem

3) Can't manage Bluetooth devices easily. I'm sure the Control Center offering is probably okay if your device behaves well and connects easily but if there is a difficulty there is no GUI to deal with the issue. I can't manage my headphones & mic device. It sees it but won't connect. It was never a problem in DI 2013 and Ubuntu 12.04.
We will check it ASAP.
4) Graphic cards fail. Neither of my boxes with nvidia or Raedon cards worked as they should.
Did you install a closed source drive?

5) There is a problem with Software Center. When there is multiple download, or the download is large, Software Center gives up. The sign of it dying is the download speed read-out decreases very slowly until you become fed up waiting. The down load speed readout keeps throwing up numbers even when it is not downloading...." Recommend using terminal because there was no problem with that.
We will fix ASAP.
6) Wireless dongle worked reliably in Ubuntu 12.04 but is inconsistent in DI 2014.
Would you please tell us your network environment?
7) SD card won't mount on one of the boxes and randomly closes on the other.
Would you please tell us your SD card file system?

Now not all these issues apply to both machines. However, none of these were an issue with older versions of Ubuntu and Deepin.

DI 2014 is a wonderfully conceived idea and I love the attempt at innovation but I don't believe it is really ready for prime time. There are far too many issues and no tools to fix them.[/quote]
Reply View the author