latest update still loses control centre and launcher
Tofloor
poster avatar
arjay1
deepin
2014-07-30 03:04
Author
Just to let you know - I did the big update/upgrade today (29-07-2014) and it is still stops launcher and control centre from working.  I followed one of the other posts and it worked.  In case others are still looking for a solution:
    Copy the Code
.  I did not need to reboot
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
omelette
deepin
2014-07-30 06:29
Gotta say, I'm pretty disillusioned with the latest Deepin.  Acceptable for a alpha, maybe a beta-release - but a final release?!?!?

Until yesterdays 200meg update, I could at least use it, even though it wouldn't work if 'auto login' was enabled.  After the update, the problem you mentioned - except in disgust, I just re-installed the lot again - which necessitated a further 400+meg of downloads to update!!!

Now, auto-login still doesn't work, but even when manually logging in at startup, I still get no launcher - I have to immediately logout ang login again.  If that wasn't bad enough, I have yet to get more than an hour or so of menu-usage before one or all of the three pop-out menus fail to reappear, necessitating another logout to resurrect them!

Unacceptable...
Reply View the author
arjay1
deepin
2014-07-30 06:58
I must say I am inclined to agree.  It is a triumph of style over substance.  I love the desktop and the control centre shows a lot of promise.  But under the surface there too many things missing or still rough around the edges.  I can't find a way to have dual monitors which is essential for my work. We can't use proprietary nvidia drivers - I know Deepin think that it is Nvidia/Ubuntu's fault, but if they want to get a fledgling OS more widely accepted, they need to work with the giants out there. Samba was not installed by default and I still can't get an Ubuntu PC to talk to the Deepin one - a problem i have not had in 5 years....

Overall I think they have misread the wider Linux market. Sure, provide a very simple OS which helps transition from Windows to Linux but they don't seem to understand that even those newbie's will soon want a more sophisticated, configurable setup - witness the fuss over Gnome/Unity and the wholesale shift from Ubuntu to Mint.

I am keeping it on a spare PC which i use to test new distros but it won't last long if they don't come up with a solution for dual monitors.  I know there must be one because i see references to the issue in posts back in the 2012 release.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-07-30 19:41
Q1: For auto-login , please set in the option of Control Centre again

Q2: three pop-out menus, I don't know what your mean. Maybe you could create a new account to see what's going on

Q3: Please set in the display module of Control Centre for  dual monitors.
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2014-07-30 20:33
Do ctrl + alt + F1 for TTY

than
  1. sudo apt-get clean
Copy the Code
  1. sudo apt-get autoclean
Copy the Code
  1. sudo apt-get -f install
Copy the Code

This is what I had to do then you can do this
    Copy the Code

Yes this is unacceptable and Deepin should have been more polished before they even thought of releasing it. However, I use it and once all that was ironed out it is not bad
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-07-31 03:44
@arjay1 - I was just after wiping Mint17 and replacing it with Deepin 2014.  A whole different set of problems there, namely Unity is just crap, and Mate has small but annoying bugs, the main one being that there was up to a 1sec delay on clicking on a icon/button and seeing an effect - I had to logout & log back in every time before it would work properly.  Add to that, although Compiz works 90% (which surprised me!) the one thing that didn't work properly was multiple workspaces - after starting/logging-in, multiple workspaces don't work, but I found that changing to a different desktop appearance fixed it.  But I had to do this everytime I logged-out or restarted.  Another problem I found was that although I could install Nvidia drivers, whenever I ran its configuration app. it just crashed.  Since my main OS is still Ubuntu 10.04 (shock!) and an older Nvidia driver works perfectly with it, I tried installing it manually, but whatever Ubuntu has changed, the 10.04 installation procedure that I use no longer works!  So here I am with Deepin!

@maggieszd - I have tried changing from manually logging-in to auto-login several times and it makes no difference - whenever I reboot/re-login, the Control Center works, but neither the Dock panel or the Launcher will appear.  I have to log out and log-in again to get them working.
The pop-up menus I was referring to are the Control Center, Launcher and the Dock panel (which I have set to auto-hide).
What's really annoying is that several times already, the Launcher has just stopped working.  Even clicking its button on the Dock panel has no effect.  The only way to get it working again is to either logout/log-in, or kill & restart some dde component - there's another thread about doing it here.
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-07-31 04:00
@arjay1 - I've just tried & failed to share a network folder as well!  After installing the Nautilus-share plugin, when I right-click the folder I want to share and select 'local network share', it prompts that it needs to install the Samba-server software but reports almost immediately that it has failed to do so.  So network-sharing seems well and truly broken as well
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-07-31 19:33
@omelette, problems on auto-login,  Launcher, icons on Dock may be caused by wrong configuration files, please create a new account in Control Centre and check whether this is still problems.
@omelette and arjay, the function of sharing wifi is not completed now, please wait for a short time.
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2014-08-02 02:30
@Maggieszd - I have just tried creating new user accounts and experience almost the same problem.  When I restart the computer with the new user-account set to either auto-login or manual-login, Control Center works, Launcher doesn't work initially but seems to start working after a few minutes, and the Dock DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!  As I've already said, I then have to logout & log back-in to get all three of them to work properly.

And even then, Launcher will stop working after a few hours of normal usage.  This is not good.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-04 22:42
Really sorry, I can not find the reason of this bug appeared, but I've recorded your question and we will push a method to collect the system information and bug script in the short time, please be patient to wait.
Reply View the author
asterion30
deepin
2014-08-11 15:40
Just to let you know - I did the big update/upgrade today (29-07-2014) and it is still stops launcher and control centre from working.  I followed one of the other posts and it worked.  In case others are still looking for a solution:
    Copy the Code
.  I did not need to reboot

Tanks my friend, i use deepin in Spanish and i had the same problem.
Ahora en español: Tuve el mismo problema y pude resolverlo de esa forma.
¿Debería crear una misma entrada en español para los que esten usando la distribución en mi idioma? (pregunta retorica)... Creo que sí...
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-14 23:16
Please execute the following command in terminal:
    Copy the Code
and then restart your computer.
Reply View the author