Why do I get a generic icon in the dock?
Tofloor
poster avatar
masonf
deepin
2014-08-02 13:29
Author
I downloaded and installed K3b, the disk burning software. At first it didn't appear anywhere on the desktop, but when I restarted Deepin, K3b was right where it should be in "Multimedia." I right-clicked on the K3b icon (which is the same as the Bracero icon), but instead of that icon appearing in the dock, a different generic icon appeared. Since K3b and Bracero already had the same icon, it was like a second level generic icon appeared in the dock.

K3b has its own unique icon, which appears in the dock in place of the generic icon when K3b is running, and the dock's generic icon is different from the icon that appears in the "Multimedia" section. However, when I close K3b, its distinctive icon disappears and is replaced by the generic icon, which just happens to be identical to the generic icon that appears next to it in my dock and starts Kmag, a screen magnifier.

It seems like this is either a "bug" or simply a case of a feature that is not yet complete. Surely, when one installs a program that has its own unique icon, that icon is the one that should appear on the desktop and in the dock. When Kmag was the only generic icon in the dock, it was easy to tell which icon would start Kmag, since it was the only generic one. But now that there are two, it is a little less clear. Two may be manageable, but what if I have six or seven generic icons in the dock?

If this is a feature that is still in the works (planned, but not yet implemented), then I'd like to know that. If it is a bug, something that is not working correctly and needs to be fixed, then consider this my reporting a bug.

So far, I've been quite pleased with the performance of Deepin 2014. I haven't had any major problems, though there are clearly some things that need to be worked out and finished or fixed by the Development Team. I can wait, but it would be nice if there were a list of features that are planned but not yet implemented and another of bugs that the Team is working on. If you could make that available it would be helpful.

In the meantime, if there is a way to get the programs' unique icons to appear on the desktop and in the dock, I'd like very much to know how to do it.

Note: for those who are complaining or disappointed in the current condition of Deepin, I should point out that it is working much better on my computer than Mint 17 Cinnamon, with which I have had endless trouble. I finally gave up and switched to Mint 17 MATE, which works much better, at least on my computer. I'm new to Linux and frankly, I'm a little surprised by all the problems people have (myself included) installing various distros. Linux ought to dominate the desktop computer world, but it's never going to increase its current paltry 1.5% or so by much, unless it is easier to install "out of the box."

Addendum to Note: Apparently, I spoke too soon. After several days of Deepin working very well, Deepin is now crashing and/or locking up constantly. I can't get anything done with the constant rebooting I have to do. What is going on??? This is worse than most "betas" for other programs I've used in the past. Calling this the "final" release seems more than a little inappropriate. Sorry, I think the general idea of the DDE is wonderful, but right now its performance is horrible. And why is it getting worse instead of better?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-04 22:35
QA team will test the problem of K3b and we will continue our effort to improve.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-07 03:52
Thanks, Maggie, I know there are many things to do and work on. I realize this may not be a top priority.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-07 17:54
@masonf, thanks for your support, we will continue our effort to improve.
Reply View the author