Wallpaper folder
Tofloor
poster avatar
clonazepam
deepin
2014-08-03 02:11
Author
What is the correct folder to add wallpapers? Also, a good feature would be to add a color palette to the personalization tab so that you can make your desktop a solid color if you so choose.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
masonf
deepin
2014-08-03 03:48
I am new to Linux and Deepin, and I don't know that there is a "correct" folder for Wallpaper, but I will tell you what works.

I created a "Wallpaper" folder on the desktop. You could put this in your "ictures" folder if you want, but I chose to put it on the desktop, so I can change wallpaper with a minimum amount of hassle. One of the great sources for out of this world photographs is APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day -- search for APOD for the URL). I'll leave copyright issues to you.

Whatever photograph or other image you want to use for wallpaper, just save it to the folder you've chosen for wallpaper. Then, open the folder, double click on the thumbnail and the photograph or image will open in Image Viewer. Right click on the image and select "Set as Wallpaper." You're done. If you need to manipulate the image, you can use GIMP, the open source Image Editor. I've saved all the images I'm using for wallpaper as jpegs.

If you followed what I wrote, then you'll realize you don't have to have images in any particular folder, and you could have images in many different folders, since the key is opening it in the Image Viewer and choosing "Set as Wallpaper."

So, the short instructions are: Double click on an image to get it to open in Image Viewer. Right click on the image and choose "Set as Wallpaper." Where you store the images is up to you.

I hope this works for you. I discovered that once I set an image as wallpaper, it appears in the wallpaper selection in the Personalization section of the Control Center.

PS You can create your own solid color wallpaper using an image editor.  I just discovered that when I open GIMP in Deepin 2014, it immediately closes again. I don't know why, it worked fine once, but I'm having a lot of trouble with Deepin freezing, crashing, and otherwise misbehaving. I'm sure the Development Team is working hard to fix things, but from my brief experience with Deepin 2014 it seems to have more than its share of problems.
Reply View the author
Feng Yu
deepin
2014-08-03 20:03
~/Pictures/Wallpapers
Reply View the author
clonazepam
deepin
2014-08-04 03:12
Thanks for the help
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-04 22:20
Thanks for your report and advice.
Q1: I have record the advice of adding a color palette and will report to designers soon.
Q2: The problem of gimp has been reported to the QA team.
Q3: Wallpapers folder:~/Pictures/Wallpapers
Q4: Personalization module and function to delete wallpaper are adjusting
Reply View the author
xiazhishang
deepin
2014-08-08 21:16
Hello,masonf. I am from the QA team and i have tested GIMP in my Deepin 2014, but it runs normally.I think your problem is an Accidental phenomenon, now we are trying to improve the stability of the system.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-11 07:42
xiazhishang,

(I just saw your reply)

Hi, and thank you for your response. You are right about GIMP. I just used it successfully a few minutes ago. The problem I had was several days ago now and whatever happened the first few times I tried to use GIMP seems to have been an isolated incident.

I realize you are working through a number of stability problems and I have seen definite improvement in the last week. The biggest problem I am currently having is that Deepin will work perfectly for hours and then suddenly freeze. The only way to proceed is to restart the computer. I have confidence you will solve these stability problems.

Do you have any idea when we will be able to change the desktop icons? Deepin has a large menu of icon options, but the only one that works right now is the default 2014 (not my favorite). I understand that this is a minor problem, since one set of icons is all that anyone needs, but when i saw the 2014 icons, I realized that I liked the 2013 icons a lot more.

Deepin has the best user interface of any operating system I have used. I also have Mint 17 Cinnamon installed on my computer, but I am using Deepin more than Mint and look forward to the day when all of the major bugs are worked out.

You have created a superb desktop environment.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-14 00:11
Please enter Control Center for personalized settings. Select icon and then select 2013 version. The thumbnails of theme of 2013 icon can not be shown, we will develop our own file manager to solve this problem completely.
by the way, icons on dock are locked, we will unlock them ASAP.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-14 12:30
Maggieszd, Hi.
Please enter Control Center for personalized settings. Select icon and then select 2013 version. The thumbnails of theme of 2013 icon can not be shown, we will develop our own file manager to solve this problem completely. by the way, icons on dock are locked, we will unlock them ASAP.

I have done that every day since I first installed Deepin 2014, expecting that Icons would eventually be activated, but up to and including today, nothing has ever changed. When I enter the Control Center for personalized settings and select "Icons," sixteen different sets of icons appear. However, selecting a set of icons changes nothing. The icons in the dock remain the same.

This is not a big issue, but I do like other icons better than the 2014 default set. When you finally get this fixed, I will switch.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-14 18:12
Yes, icons on dock are locked, so when you selected a set of icons, nothing changes and the icons in the dock remain the same.
We will unlock them ASAP, please wait for a short time.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-14 21:28
Thank you. It's no problem. I'll continue to try to change them from time-to-time.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-14 23:46
My pleasure!
Reply View the author
bworld
deepin
2014-08-15 05:01
How to use Domain Account to logon the deepin, I was use PBIS joined windows domain previously. In the terminal I can switche to domain user. but I can't found any option to use "other user" logon  the system on the login pannel.
Should I to modify the configure files as Ubuntu? but where is  the configure files? I can't find them......
Reply View the author
Feng Yu
deepin
2014-08-15 07:50
How to use Domain Account to logon the deepin, I was use PBIS joined windows domain previously. In the terminal I can switche to domain user. but I can't found any option to use "other user" logon  the system on the login pannel.
Should I to modify the configure files as Ubuntu? but where is  the configure files? I can't find them......

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryHowto
Maybe this doc can help you.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-15 21:42
@bworld, we do not support Domain Account currently, sorry to cause inconvenience for you.
Reply View the author