What has happened to Deepin?
Tofloor
poster avatar
masonf
deepin
2014-08-22 01:16
Author
In the last couple of days Deepin has become almost unusable. If I were doing anything important when logged into Deepin, I would consider it totally unusable. It is crashing constantly. I haven't ended a session in the last two days by exiting or shutting down normally. Rather, I have had to do a manual restart since the dock has disappeared and and I can't access the Control Center.

As of today, August 21, Deepin is less stable than it has been since I first installed it several weeks ago. I'm writing this post in Linux Mint 17, which is also based on Ubuntu 14.04, but is quite stable, especially when compared with Deepin. At this point, Deepin is the least stable and usable distro I've ever tried. I think the Deepin DDE 2.0 is a great idea, but it is working so poorly that I'm close to abandoning Deepin entirely.

I should point out that I am not doing anything unusual or demanding in Deepin. I've used it to surf the Internet, send and receive email, and watch a couple of videos. I'm using Firefox and it has become the norm for the screen to dim and FF to lock up (it doesn't do that in any other OS I'm currently running). I wait for it to unfreeze and typically, now, it unfreezes, Firefox closes (disappears is a better word), then the dock disappears and I'm left with a black desktop and no function at all.

I don't know what is happening at Deepin, but you seem to be going in the wrong direction. I've been waiting weeks for functionality that Maggieszd has said will be available soon, but it never happens. Instead, the OS becomes less and less reliable.

Please, fix Deepin 2014.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
james0658
deepin
2014-08-23 11:28
I as well am having the same issue.  I'm getting a message just after boot "scanning for btrfs file system"  then it just hangs, when I can get it to log in the screen flickers back and forth from a black screen to the desktop, and takes longer than normal to log in.  And to top it all off the control center is gone.  I just did a complete update today and this is what I get. lol.  I've seen them break things before but not this bad.  Hopefully they will see your message, I posted one as well hopefully that will get somebody's attention
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-23 12:24
James, it would be interesting to know how many people are actively using Deepin 2014, and, of those, how many are having the kinds of serious problems we're having. So far, I don't have any trouble getting past the "btrfs" message, but I have noticed that that message has changed -- it's the same words, but in a much larger font than a few days ago. Hardly earthshaking, that does seem to imply that the Deepin team is making changes -- whatever they are and however insignificant or major they may be. Unfortunately, the only tangible changes I've experienced are a much less reliable operating system. I didn't mention it in my first post, but a week ago when I arrived at the desktop, the wallpaper image would appear, then the dock, and then a few seconds later two more icons would be added to the dock. Then, I'd have a stable desktop. Now, when the wallpaper image appears, it flashes, and is replaced by another image in that folder, but one I haven't chosen to display. Obviously, something is wrong there. Meanwhile, the whole desktop -- dock and wallpaper -- flashes three times before stopping on the incorrect wallpaper image. That isn't a big thing, but it isn't a sign of well-honed code that is working as it should.

To your voice, I add again, What has happened to Deepin 2014? It would be nice to get some kind of communication from the Deepin people. Predictably and sadly I can't read Chinese so I have no idea if the Chinese users are experiencing the same issues or if the Deepin team is reporting to them on bugs and fixes. For the English speakers it seems to be silence.

It is easier to be patient when one isn't completely in the dark. If we received periodic updates on issues and progress it would be very helpful. I'm not currently using Deepin -- I bring it up-to-date every day in the hope that the updates will include some improvements, but it is simply too unreliable for me to use it for anything that matters. I think Deepin and DDE 2.x have great potential, so I'll certainly keep my eye on Deepin in the hope that its authors can get it working the way it should work. Until that time, i regretfully say, A Mint a day keeps Deepin away.
Reply View the author
james0658
deepin
2014-08-23 14:27
Okay here is a solution for at least the control panel.  I did actually go on the chinese forums and found a few things, I just let google chrome translate it for me.  So they said to use this code in terminal

dde-launcher
then
dde-control-center
then
pkill dde-dock && dde-control-center

But this really did nothing

so I kind of just tried this

sudo apt-get install dde-control-center

and it worked like a charm as for the other problems haven't found a solution yet. But this is a start anyway

Apparently we have to solve our own problems with this system.  I'm probably going to put this up on my Youtube Channel so I can help others solve at least one of these problems.  
You can visit me @https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQaC9B-8uudlaxwhqHX4dRw
Reply View the author
kwg1991
deepin
2014-08-24 05:33
Same issues here.  Glad to hear that I am not the only one.  At some point over the last month that I have been trying to use Deepin, I have lost my Launcher, my Dock and the control center.  When I lost the Launcher the only way I was able to get it back was to create a new user.  My screen dims on me, but I did figure out that if I open the control center and just click on Display, then it would return to the correct brightness.  Annoying, but workable.

Right now I am dual booting with Elementary OS (their beta built on 14.04) and it is more stable than what Deepin is considering stable...  Not quite as slick but certainly more dependable at this point.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-24 17:19
James and kwg, things have only gotten worse here. I have this terrible suspicion that the Deepin team has no idea how to fix this mess.

I finally got so tired of Deepin crashing that I decided to reinstall it. I even went so far as to download a new LIVE DVD ISO. Things got off to an inauspicious start. Instead of getting a desktop with launcher and control center, I got a completely blank desktop except for the "Install Deepin" icon. Oops. No way to try it, now, it's install or nothing.

I went ahead and installed it. Deepin is an Ubuntu fork, as is Mint. Mint uses the Ubuntu installer, while Deepin decided to put their own stamp on the Deepin installer. There really is no reason to reinvent the wheel, especially if your new wheel isn't as good as the old one. And I think the Ubuntu/Mint installer is better than Deepin's reinvention. I suggest they go back to basics and forget about having their own Deepin-branded installer. A minor point, but indicative of things to come.

Once the installation was complete, I restarted the computer (updating all the grubs) and eventually got back to Deepin. The introduction (poorly done, I'm sorry, I'm not feeling very charitable right now) played through and I tried to open the Control Center. No Control Center.
Control Center was nowhere to be seen. It doesn't respond to mouse pointer sweeps, nor to clicking on the Control Center icon on the launcher. I opened terminal and typed:
  1. dde-control-center
Copy the Code

and got this error message:
QQmlComponent: Component is not ready
file:///usr/share/dde-control-center/frame/views/Main.qml:28 plugin cannot be loaded for module "DBus.Com.Deepin.Daemon.Display": The plugin '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/DBus/Com/Deepin/Daemon/Display/libDisplay.so' uses incompatible Qt library. (5.3.1) [release]

James, I then tried:
  1. sudo apt-get install dde-control-center
Copy the Code

Terminal responded with:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
dde-control-center is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 42 not upgraded.

but it did nothing at all. Control Center still won't open.

The Control Center exists, but the Deepin Team has messed it up so badly it won't open. Without it, Deepin is much less useful -- not totally useless, but since it's running on a computer with a smoothly functioning Mint 17, there isn't much reason to waste my time on the Deepin Disaster.

I'd be more patient, understanding, and kind if someone at Deepin had responded in any way to our concerns. But not a word. I don't care that their English isn't great -- my Chinese is non-existent, so they're way ahead of me. I'd just like to know what is going on. Maggieszd promised that certain features would be available...soon, but they've never been activated. That is probably because everything else is in such disarray.

It's time to shut down now, and fortunately, Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the shut down options. I don't know that I will return to Deepin any time soon. I've lost all confidence in the Deepin team and I am amazed by what they have accomplished in the past several weeks. When I first installed Deepin it worked quite well. There were reports of the Dock and Control Center disappearing, but mine worked fine. Then, things began to unravel. The system froze and crashed. Now, the Control Center won't even appear after a new installation. And total silence from Deepin.

What a disappointment.
Reply View the author
oaker
deepin
2014-08-24 18:03
I'm a active Chinese user of Deepin OS. It works stable for my PC.
As I know, DDE 2.0 makes many users a feeling that Deepin is unstable.The problems often happen on notebooks,somethings not run good about Compiz and NVIDIA drivers.
If you try to use XFCE or KDE temporarily, Deepin should works OK.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-25 14:09
oaker,

I've been using Deepin on a desktop computer with plenty of system resources. The problems I've been experiencing are not "feelings" of instabilty -- the OS freezes and crashes. Then the Control Center disappears completely. The dock stops working correctly. Booting up Deepin suddenly replaces the wallpaper I've chosen with another image in the same folder, but it too is one I've saved -- it's not a Deepin wallpaper image. Every time I boot up the icons on the dock will be in different places. If you understand what I'm describing, then you'll realize that this is very real instability and not just a feeling.

Two weeks ago, Deepin 2014 seemed quite stable on my computer. Since then it has gradually gotten worse and worse.

As for using Xfce or KDE, why would I (or we) do that. There are plenty of Linux distros available with those desktop environments. I have Mint 17 MATE installed on the same computer and it runs very well, as does Ubuntu with the Unity desktop.

The only reason to use Deepin is because DDE 2.0 is such a great approach. When I first startd using it, I liked it better than any other desktop environment I have tried -- much better than Unity, better than both MATE and Cinnamon, as well as Xfce and KDE. If DDE 2.0 doesn't work on my computer, I will simply continue to use Mint 17. But I would very much hope that DDE 2.0 can be made to work flawlessly on my desktop -- a typical desktop -- not old, not cutting edge new.

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand why there has been no response to our problems from the Deepin team. I posted my question three days ago and no one from Deepin has bothered to respond. It may be that the problem is with the English implementation of DDE 2.0. If so, I'm happy for Chinese users who get to use a properly functioning OS/DDE, and disappointed that we English speakers won't get to use it.
Reply View the author
oaker
deepin
2014-08-26 10:03
masonf,

Try the commands in this link,I think you can make your DDE work.

http://www.linuxdeepin.com/forum/search ... C%E7%B4%A2

Some weeks ago,there are some updates for DDE not work right for some users.I fix my DDE with this command,
    Copy the Code
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-26 18:24
James, kwg, and oaker:

After yet another reinstallation and full update/upgrade of Deepin, it now seems to be working quite well again.

I don't know what the problem was -- but it was very real -- but it seems to be fixed. However, now my Deepin Store doesn't seem to be working correctly.

When it was working well a couple of weeks ago, I would open it, let it choose the fastest mirror, and everything seemed to work smoothly. Now, I tried to do the same thing and it hasn't worked. I ended up with the main Chinese mirror and a download of 86.19MB that stopped at 86.16MB and never finished. It just sat there while the download speed continued to diminish. When I finally closed it, the download speed was down to 5 Kb/s, but it wasn't actually downloading anything.

When I did my last (current) installation, I used the Terminal and Synaptic to download and install the programs I wanted.

Now, when I go to the Deepin Store, the opening screen is stuck on the little cartoon character saying "Timeout while retrieving the items." When I hit "Refresh," I get the same "Timeout..." message every time. No matter how many times I open the Deepin Store or how long I wait, the "Timeout" never ends. Right now, the "Upgrade" area show "54," which is presumablly the number of packages I have waiting to download and install -- only for the past two days the Deepin Store has been unable to complete that task.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or any problem with the Deepin Store?

When I read the list of things to be installed, I get worried. One of them is "dde-control-center" ("New control center for linux deepin"). What concerns me is that the problems of the last week all seem to have come after updates like this.

It occurs to me that it would be really nice if Linux had a "System Restore" feature. I did a little searching and found something called "TimeShift," which sounds like it will do what System Restore does in Windows -- if the updates screw up your system, you can return to a pre-update state. Does anyone have any experience with TimeShift or any other "system restorer" for Linux?

[Note: i found one forum thread where someone asked about a "system restore" feature for Linux and the experienced Linux users seemed dismissive of such a thing being necessary for Linux. But if updates screw up a system, and not the user, then it seems reasonable to be able to return the system to before the offending updates. At least it seems that way to me.]
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-27 00:01
Hi all, we will release 2014.1 on Wednesday to solve the problems what you said.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-27 00:23
Press esc when stuck, then upload pictures. So that we can see and find the way to resolve.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-27 00:35
Hi, Maggieszd, I've missed hearing from you. Thank you for the information.

I was very pleased when Deepin started working again -- it was very, very bad for a few days.

Will 2014.1 fix the Deepin Store? Honestly, I don't want to use the Deepin Store right now.

And will 2014.1 "unlock" the Dock, or will that come later?
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-27 01:35
@masonf
Q1:yes, Deepin store is fixed in 2014.1.
Q2: What do you mean "unlock" the Dock? We have three modes of dock and you can choose what you like.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-27 13:32
Maggieszd,

I don't know anything about three different "dock modes."

In an earlier post I asked about changing the dock icons. You or someone else from Deepin said the dock would be "unlocked soon." I took that to mean the icons could not be changed until Deepin "unlocked" the dock, that is, enabled it to be changed.

What are the three modes of dock?
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-27 19:19
2014.1 will be released today, please wait for a moment, then you can see what the three modes of dock are.
Reply View the author
masonf
deepin
2014-08-28 01:05
Hi, Maggieszd,

It's Wednesday and I would like to download Deepin 2014.1. Where I live it is very early morning, but in China it is already late Wednesday afternoon.

Is there a URL we can use to download the 2014.1 ISO? I just went to the Deepin site and the download from Sourceforge says 2014 and nothing about 2014.1. (It also says the latest update was July 6, 2014, so that can't be 2014.1)  I then looked at the Official Mirror and it also says 2014 and nothing about 2014.1.

I don't know if the Chinese speakers are getting better information than the English speakers, but I feel like we need better information -- more specific information. Instead of just saying Deepin 2014.1 will be released on Wednesday, it would be better to give a time and a link to the download site. I don't think anyone wants to waste time downloading Deepin 2014 again.

I apologize if you think I am being difficult. I think Deepin needs an active announcement Thread in the forum in English. The only thread in the English "Announcements" section of the forum was posted in June and the last entry is from July. A lot has happened since then.

In my opinion, there should be an "announcement" in English stating that Deepin 2014.1 will be released on ??? Date, at ??? Time, and at ??? URL. I found out about 2014.1 in a thread I began. If I weren't following that thread I don't know how I would know about 2014.1.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-08-29 03:30
I couldn't get Deepin 2014 to run properly even before the updates. That is why I very sadly dropped it for Linux Lite (Xfce). I have real work to do on my box -not just social media stuff. I can't muck about waiting for Deepin developers to fix everything that is wrong. IMO it has never worked from its release date and should have remained Beta. I still love the concept and innovation of Deepin but I still need it to do my job. That's why I moved on.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-29 17:45
@masonf
Sorry, it's our mistake. Next time we will add the exact time of release. You can directly upgrade to 2014.1 from 2014 in Deepin Store.

@Platypus
Sorry to bring inconvenience to you and we will continue our effort to improve.
Reply View the author
drkrider
deepin
2014-11-01 08:19
I too had the same issues as listed above; no control center, no dock, no right click context menu. So...I resolved it by switching to a terminal, (cntrl, alt, f2), and logging in. And from command line ran: sudo aptitude dist-upgrade.
It found alot of additional upgrades and some conflicts html 5 and qt that it resolved. I rebooted from command line, (sudo shutdown -r now), and everything came up correctly.
Reply View the author