Funny problem with apostrophes
Tofloor
poster avatar
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-23 12:36
Author
Hi.  I have a peculiar problem that relates to apostrophes.

I'm a book review editor; I receive a lot of e-mail that I need to edit and then publish.  Unique to Deepin, and it puzzles me -- whenever an apostrophe appears in the text, Deepin adds a space after the apostrophe, and then treats the apostrophe and the space as a single character!  I have to manually backspace once to remove both the space and the apostrophe, then manually add the apostrophe back.

It's so darned strange, and creates work I really don't want to do.  Has anyone else encountered this?

For the record, when reading ordinary e-mail, the same thing happens.  It only happens with Deepin.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
1 / 3
To page
methuzla
deepin
2014-09-24 17:07
It'   s the same here.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-24 17:13
Yup.  But just an hour ago I had a brainstorm.  Gedit is included with Deepin.  In the past, I've found that it seems to know where problems are and strips them out.  I just gave it a go, and Bingo! -- the offending stuff is gone, and I can do my work of editing.

Thanks much.  I'll await any further fix on this -- it's something they should look at.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-24 18:13
Oops, spoke too soon.  It all looked fine in gedit, but when I copied and pasted the text into a Thunderbird mail, the problem was back.

Sigh.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-09-25 00:49
When you paste, you should choose to paste text without any formats.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-25 07:31
Hmmm, I'll give it a try.  Thanks.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-09-25 21:06
My pleasure.
Reply View the author
methuzla
deepin
2014-09-28 07:41
Look, this is still an annoying problem (even if one can successfully edit sometimes).
On most webpages,
it's            will appear as
it' s           

Is it a font error? A rendering error?
Whatever, please don't  (don' t)  get distracted. Please fix the problem.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-28 12:20
I second the motion!
Reply View the author
methuzla
deepin
2014-10-11 19:51
bump

Anyone?

bump
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-10-12 00:06
Sorry, this is a bug, we just test and confirm. We will handle it asap.
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2014-10-12 10:53
I third it, though today I don't see the problem anymore
Reply View the author
tf55337
deepin
2014-10-17 10:47
Hello Folks,

I'm having the same issue.  The problem is especially noticable when on the web.  A majority of the sites I read day to day are news or blogs and the problem is the same as described above.  I thought it may be a font issue with Chrome so I downloaded and installed both Firefox and Maxthon browsers but the issue is still there.  Reading is kind of hard on the eyes and brain at times.

Tim
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-10-20 19:12
Sorry, this is a bug, we just test and confirm. We will handle it asap.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-10-21 09:28
Hoping the developers have addressed this problem by now.  Is there something preventing this from being solved?  Perhaps someone can track it and see why Deepin is the only distro I've ever tried that has this problem.  It's so excellent in every other way.  I really wish I could get some closure on this.  Thanks.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-10-26 17:08
I'm going to agree, of course, since I started this thread.  This is really a crippling problem for me.  As a book review editor, I deal with text all the time, and this problem creates major headaches.

Now, here's a question.  Back in the good old DOS days, I used WordPerfect 5.1 extensively.  They had a "reveal codes" feature that was SO helpful!  I could see what was going on behind the text.  I've tried to figure out if LibreOffice does this, too.  If so, I could do a quick search and replace and fix the problem with each document.  Not a great solution, but at least a workaround for now.  Has anyone tried to do this with LibreOffice?  Is there some other editor I could use to accomplish this?  Thanks.
Reply View the author
desipenguin
deepin
2014-10-31 21:26
This is a known problem related to font/rendering
e.g. I'm typing an email - I'll see the "space" - but after I send, the receiver will NOT see it (Assuming they are using something other than deepin - other linux, windows, mac ...)

So the contents themselves are OK, rendering on deepin has a problem.

Problem discussed at other places :
http://www.linuxsa.org.au/pipermail/lin ... 96488.html
http://www.linuxdeepin.com/mantis/view.php?id=3107

Possible solution is to install MS Core fonts manually :
http://www.linuxdeepin.com/mantis/view.php?id=3326

Hope this helps.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-02 00:28
Okay, trying some of these things.

One hint has it that we should install the ttf files from the store.  My store tells me that fonts-freefont-ttf is already installed, although I was never asked to accept any terms from Microsoft.  Is there some other ttf file I should be installing?

And how can I change the default font within Deepin?  In the control center, I see where I can change the font size, but nowhere to change the font itself.

Thanks.
Reply View the author
desipenguin
deepin
2014-11-02 03:35
DeepinApostrophe.png

I can confirm that installing MS Core fonts resolves this problem.
DeepinApostrophe-After.png

I may have incorrectly said that installing fonts-freefont-ttf is sufficient - it isn't.
Reply View the author
desipenguin
deepin
2014-11-02 10:22
And how can I change the default font within Deepin?  

You can't (Yet) Deeping team has promised to allow this in "future"
But I don't think it is related to the "extra space before apostrophe" problem, is it ?
I always noticed this problem only on webpages - the problem went away as soon as I installed MS Core fonts
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-02 12:57
Okay, I installed Core fonts, but the problem persists in Thunderbird.  Any further light will be much appreciated.
Reply View the author
1 / 3
To page