Funny problem with apostrophes
Tofloor
poster avatar
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-09-23 12:36
Author
Hi.  I have a peculiar problem that relates to apostrophes.

I'm a book review editor; I receive a lot of e-mail that I need to edit and then publish.  Unique to Deepin, and it puzzles me -- whenever an apostrophe appears in the text, Deepin adds a space after the apostrophe, and then treats the apostrophe and the space as a single character!  I have to manually backspace once to remove both the space and the apostrophe, then manually add the apostrophe back.

It's so darned strange, and creates work I really don't want to do.  Has anyone else encountered this?

For the record, when reading ordinary e-mail, the same thing happens.  It only happens with Deepin.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
2 / 3
To page
desipenguin
deepin
2014-11-03 19:36
Do you see the problem only in thunderbird now ? (I assume you have restarted the application(s) after installing the fonts)
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-10 21:24
Sorry for the delay in responding.  No, the problem persists everywhere.
Reply View the author
electricface
deepin
2014-11-18 00:26
fixed
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-18 10:50
Since I don't read Chinese, what's the gist of the bug fix?  And how do I apply it?  Thanks.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-11-19 19:08
Sorry, you will see this problem was solved in our next update. We will push update every two weeks.
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2014-11-19 19:17
Thank you for fixing that.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-22 14:44
Indeed.  Any date on when we'll see the fix, and pardon my ignorance, how do I make sure my Deepin installation is updated?  Will it update automatically?  Thanks.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-11-25 22:38
You will see update in Deepin Store and then click "upgrade"
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2014-11-26 11:11
Thanks.
Reply View the author
justus
deepin
2014-12-21 19:07
Look, this is still an annoying problem (even if one can successfully edit sometimes).
On most webpages,
it's            will appear as
it' s           

Is it a font error? A rendering error?
Whatever, please don't  (don' t)  get distracted. Please fix the problem.
yeah, i have this problem, too. but i test it just now, it's the problem of the font. you can try to change another font, such as Aboriginal Sans, just try it.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2014-12-21 20:05
This has been an ongoing problem for several releases but I get the impression that the developers don't quite comprehend the problem. I have raised it before but obviously to no avail.

What I did to make English writing usable was to install Microsoft True Type fonts and the Gnome font manager (I'm not 100% certain of the name - but hunt about in Synaptic for a font manager). I then made one of these MS fonts the preferred font (Ariel I use) using the Gnome font manager. My recollection is that this fixed the problem in most software. In Thunderbird I had to tweak the fonts somehow - but it is over a year ago and I can't remember what I did.

The problem I thinks stems from one of the Chinese English Fonts that Deepin uses as a kind of default. They just love it.... But these fonts don't handle diacritics very well - including apostrophe. I tried deleting this font but it crashed the system so I had to put it back.

It is another one of those little things that spoil the whole Deepin experience and uite frankly I am disappointed to hear that it still persists.
Reply View the author
tf55337
deepin
2014-12-22 17:51
Disappointment seems to be the key emotion felt in many avenues of Deepin after the initial look and installation of what was thought to be a huge step within the Linux experience.  In reading the preceeding posts regarding this topic, maybe it is an issue with the developers just plain understanding the issue but in looking at the forum activity and the preceived number of English users I find little allowance for excuse.  I have read review after review of Deepin and the overall response is very good but becasue of small issues such as this as well as UEFI support, LVM/Encryption abilities, additional display inconsistancies and a multitude of other shortfalls in comparison to Ubuntu Kylin I fear that the develpoers are way behind in making a distro that just plain simply works from point A to point Z.  Although Deepin is beyond a number of other distros, the hype has not been followed up with stability and usability.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-12-22 22:14
Sorry to bring troubles for your all.  We have found  the reasons for this problem and still make efforts to resolve. And we will provide font custom settings in Deepin2014.2 release and strive to solve this problem soon. Please wait for a short time.
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2015-01-06 18:52
So far no funny problems yet with apostrophes on Deepin 2014.2. A test:

I don't see apostrophe issues yet
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2015-01-06 22:56
Thanks for your report, we have fixed it in deepin2014.2
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2015-01-07 11:03
Actullay in tabs on the browser the problem is there but that doesn't really matter because the main part is fixed, thank you
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2015-01-08 00:21
We just test there is no problem in browser too, please see the attached screenshot.
Reply View the author
historyb
deepin
2015-01-08 16:30
Looks like Chrome, in Firefox as I said some tabs (not the webpage) exhibit the problem but as I said that is no big deal Thank you all for your work on Deepin
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-02-02 06:24
Sigh.  Problem with apostrophes has returned.  It looked like it was fixed in 2014.2, but it didn't get fixed.  Web pages still display funny when a word includes an apostrophe.  Too bad Deepin is so good in so many ways.  I do wish they'd fix this.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-02-02 22:06
Supposedly fixed in latest update, not fixed.  Please, please, please, fix.
Reply View the author
2 / 3
To page