list of small annoyances
Tofloor
poster avatar
methuzla
deepin
2014-10-11 20:08
Author
Deepin becoming unusable

I have been enjoying Deepin, but it has been getting worse & worse to use with time, almost like that Micros##t product.

I am using a laptop with no swap, 2GB memory (1.83G after gpu allocation).
64-bit Intel  core2 T5300 1.73GHzx2, no internal hdd.
Deepin is on USB disc
2014.1 dist-upgraded from 2014 (Though info shows "Deepin Edition = 0")

I am lazily staying in first user, with sudo access.
(Where is the User/Group control panel?)

Some of these problems could be due to kernel or browser(s) - maybe memory over-allocation.
The touchpad and keyboard on this machine may also be less than ideal (or else a driver problem).

I've mostly been using default Chrome browser, but also Firefox & Chromium.
Each of them causes the the whole machine to lock up completely after a while.
First it slows down, animation of panels becomes painfully slow, then even the cursor will not move,
Hotkeys & cursor become useless. I can't even ctrl+alt+F1 to get out of the problem.
I wait a while, but then I have to use the 'magic keys' to reboot.

I do not see why the magic keys are disabled by default, this is not a kiosk machine, so that decision (at Ubuntu level) is ludicrous.

A total freeze is most likely to happen when loading a large page to Chrome.

I have tried, for example, clearing Chrome cache app data,
tried clearing caches after sync
echo "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" | sudo sh
echo "echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" | sudo sh
echo "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" | sudo sh
It does not help.

One problem seems to be the amount of memory grabbed by Chrome (1.2G of the approx 2G, almost immediately on start).
And of course the inveterate Flashplayer memory leaks (especially if I move the cursor back in a video).
Gmail also uses a lot of memory, I do not know if it is still leaking.

I have add-ons ABP (Addblock itself seems to make matters worse)
Privacy Badger
The Great Suspender (without which nothing much functions for long).

On top of this, the machine seems haunted!
The browser will often minimise by itself, unasked (nuisance)
and the 'control' panel pops up by itself quite randomly (also nuisance)
Both happen often on cursor movement, when cursor is nowhere near a corner or the dock.

Programs can be very slow to load, especially from the hot corner prompts.

Sometime the icons in classic dock refuse to do anything.

There are other minor problems which I will put in another post.

?
Any suggestions?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
methuzla
deepin
2014-10-11 20:23
Small unhappinesses (though it's s nice distro otherwise).

1 - lower-right hot corner (deepin control) often does not work, or else is very slow

2 - programs (gedit, browser, screenshot etc) are very slow to start, give no indication they are starting until they may appear many seconds later. (Or may not)
2.1 occasionally on start up, the dock does not load
2.3 sometimes (often after a REISUB crash), Deepin does not start properly first time. Second try usually works.
2.4 on startup I often get "malformed file" error (which 'file'???), and sometimes a crash.

3 - in Chrome browser, crtl+shift+T doesn't work

in Deepin store
4.1 - preferences (including download mirror choice) are concealed too deeply (see my other comment on how to find prefs)
4.2 - choosing 'best' mirror does not show actual speeds, I'm not confident it makes best choice.
4.3 - mirror does not clearly show country
4.4 - download progress panel is too small; one cannot check back for errors.
4.5 - interrupting mirror automatic choice causes status to stick, needs restart.
4.6 - Difficult to add non-standard repositories which are sometimes needed, I can use terminal.

5 - common to most linux, upgrade downloads hardware packages for hardware that isn't present. Time & space wasting.
Should check that supported hardware is present before downloading software for it.

6 - I am unhappy that default browser is Chrome (suspected US spyware?). (Oh, well, everything is suspected US spyware, lol.)

in deepin control, system hotkeys:
7.1 - if one clears a hotkey, one cannot re-set it (?) until re-start.
7.2 - the English list in not in good sequence - for example, I feel all "screenshot" keys should be gathered together.

8 - login
8.1 - if one has capitals in the key, shift-lock does not enter them properly
8.2 - (There is no warning that shift-lock is on)
8.3 - Can one change keyboard layout at login screen? That may be necessary!

9 - Sometimes I have lost an element entirely when attempting to re-name it.
9.1 - Once on attempt to rename, the name went blank, & the element became inaccessible.
9.2 - I have even 'lost' start-icons from the screen, & had to retrieve them.

10 - On standard window, the window control symbols (minimise etc) only light up as one aims at the blank space where one guesses they ought to be. This is silly.

11.00 - time selection does not contain London (& summertime) region. London time is not same as GMT.
11.01 - There is no way to re-format time-date on dock.

12 - fonts. Many fonts/ symbols we in the West expect to see are absent.
These are MS TTF core fonts, usually installed by ttf-mscorefonts-installer

13 - Deepin screenshot is nice, but I'd like to rename the picture & designate container-file before saving.
13.1 - And it's slow, very slow.
13.2 - all panel animations are often very slow

14.1 - on control panel, system info, the edition shows as "Deepin Edition: 0".
It's 2014.1, dist-upgraded from 2014.

15.1 - The browser will often minimise by itself, unasked (great nuisance)
15.2 - the 'control' panel pops up by itself quite randomly (also nuisance)
Both often happen on cursor movement, when cursor is nowhere near a corner or the dock.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-10-11 22:39
@methuzla
Thanks for your report. In order to reply conveniently, we merged your two posts. Please forgive.
Many problems in your post have been fixed. They still occurred because your system is Deepin2014.1 upgraded from Deepin2014, problems may occur in old account after upgraded. So we recommend you to create a new account for a try.

If there are still many problems after changed to a new account, these may be caused by vga drivers (parts of I and N cards are not supported well.

Because the conflict between vga drivers  and openGL(compiz uses openGL for rendering)will cause the system running slowly or crashed.

We plan to solve this problem of compiz in Deepin2014.2, but which needs a very long time, we can not ensure to resolve it in Deepin2014.2, but we will do asap.

Really sorry to bring inconvenience for your.
Regards
Maggie
Reply View the author
methuzla
deepin
2016-04-20 19:06
Edited by methuzla at 2016-4-20 11:13
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/25079
@methuzla
Thanks for your report. In order to reply conveniently, we merged your two posts. Please f ...

Thanks, Maggie

Of the above, only these have been corrected or gone away
2.4 on startup I often get "malformed file"
3 - in Chrome browser, crtl+shift+T fails

5 ? upstream problem of loading superfluous drivers.
6 I now  use chromium-browser or firefox. If goodle chrome is still default, that is still disaappointing
8.2 - I now have a shift-lock warning (not sure it it's default)
8.3 - Can one change keyboard layout at login screen (fixed!)

9 losing an element while renaming, hasn't happened in a while, good

The others continue to be problems.

The instability of the dock (it should have a lock) is still a big time-waster.

Slowness, especially of screenshot but of all starts, still a problem. At this moment, launcher  will not work: it runs, but is off-screen somewhere(not on another screen), not visible. Same if restarted. I seen no option to re-centre it.

I have an under-powered laptop,  and memory - maxed at 2GB, less some for graphics - seems to fill up when browsing more than a few tabs, then everything slows to a crawl & hangs until I use oom (which should be available by default, no reason why not). Something is wrong with memory management, IMO, but I haven't tracked it down., it could be a HDD bottleneck

Random app starts & minimisation continue. It may be over-sensitive touchpad, but happens wheen I'm nowhere near touchpad. Static, maybe.
I'm using xinput set-prop to adjust the synaptic driver but haven't succeeded yet. No clear instructions have been provided so far as I know, it's personal research and command-line only.
I've never had an answer about how to adjust sensitivity of hot corners (mouse, not touchpad).

Sadly, hardly any of the matters I've raised have had a useful response.

deepin-update fails must be the most critical.

Reply View the author