Has anyone tried the new release?
Tofloor
poster avatar
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-01-01 15:41
Author
Distrowatch indicates that there is no live mode in 2014.2.  Is this correct?  Why would this be removed?  And has the apostrophe problem finally been fixed?

It appears there are some good things about the new release.  I'd love to give it a go.  But with no live mode, it means I have to install the package and then figure out whether I like it.

Thanks for any insights.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-01-01 17:00
Starting a discussion by responding to my own post :

Selecting a time zone was, according to the blurbs, easier with 2014.2.  Bull.  I live in the Los Angeles time zone.  Used to be it was clearly listed in the time zones.  This time I had to guess -- no hint of LA anywhere.  Why was this removed?  I thought that updates were supposed to be a step forward, not backward.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-01-01 17:32
I'll add that the inclusion of Crossover is a real blessing.  Works wonderfully!  Thanks for this one.
Reply View the author
armageddon51
deepin
2015-01-02 11:43
Just tried it. It does not seem to be a live version but I didn't mind. I wipe out my previous version. I must says that 2014.2 is really gorgeous et the look is very modern (flat icons). This is a step up for the distro. There may be some stuff to iron out but it's fantastic right now and beautiful.
Reply View the author
eco2geek
deepin
2015-01-02 12:27
This time I had to guess -- no hint of LA anywhere.
True, it would be easier if Los Angeles was there, but it helps to know where you are in relation to UTC (universal coordinated time) - in your case (and mine), it's UTC - 8 hours.

And there are other cities, like Vancouver B.C, that are in the same time zone. Vancouver is in Deepin's list.
Reply View the author
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-01-02 17:32
Yup, I figured it out by looking at New York's time and increasing the negative value by 3.  Worked just fine.  I just don't know why LA was taken off.  It's a major city, and a point that people are accustomed to.  Thanks for the response.
Reply View the author
richie4422
deepin
2015-01-02 18:02
Hi guys, is it possible to update/upgrade to new version from old existing one? Or do I have to do a clean installation?
Reply View the author
rebecca232c
deepin
2015-01-02 23:17
Just tried it for the first time... in a VM - and it's looking great!

It's a bit awkward setting the time zone the first time - but that ended up easy. The biggest problem that I can see is that it's not obvious at all how to size the dock and/or the icons on it!

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find that feature?

Overall - I'm quite liking this... but then again - I would! My previous favourite distro was PearOS!

PS - further looking at the settings panel seems to indicate that a lot of the options that I took for granted in other ubuntu type distro's control panels seem to either be buried or missing? Any comments?
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2015-01-04 23:16
For time zone, we do not show all the cities, just select some ones.

To size dock and/or the icons, we do not provide this function. If you can change the code, you can do it by yourself.

To  update/upgrade to new version, please wait for a short time, we will provide the methods later.

For  apostrophe  problem, we have fixed.
Reply View the author
C00ter
deepin
2015-01-07 19:03
For time zone, we do not show all the cities, just select some ones...To size dock and/or the icons, we do not provide this function. If you can change the code, you can do it by yourself...To  update/upgrade to new version, please wait for a short time, we will provide the methods later...For  apostrophe  problem, we have fixed.

Why would not tzdata & utf-8 selections work during installation? Most distros use them but add a GUI.
Reply View the author
C00ter
deepin
2015-01-07 19:06
If you can change the code, you can do it by yourself.

Please explain the procedure. Is there a BASH script? HTML? What?
Reply View the author