Solved - Curious about nvidia proprietary driver
Tofloor
poster avatar
dogbert0360
deepin
2015-01-17 12:20
Author
One question that I would like to ask.....When will we be able to run the nvidia proprietary driver?

Not that the nouveau driver is horrable and is vastly better than previous releases, but it still isn't up to quality and standards. So will we ever be able to run the nvidia driver?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dogbert0360
deepin
2015-01-17 14:30
I know that some of you may think this question is silly but I'm serious. There are some games that I was able to play w/the nvidia driver that ran great, but now that I'm using deepin which uses the neavou driver runs glichey. I don't want to ruin my deepin system by installing the nvidia driver.

So I ask again....will we ever be able to use the nvidia driver?
Reply View the author
Sojiro84
deepin
2015-01-17 18:38
Hi there.

I had the same issue as you. I just installed Deepin a few hours ago and I tried to install through the Driver tool in the program list but that didnt worked. It did something and then went back to the crappy novo driver.

So, I went to Google and found the following page:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-the-nv ... e-systems/

And after doing that and a reboot my Deepin has great performance and games run great as well as well.

Hope this helps!
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2015-01-18 05:59
Yes it did help and thank you so much!  Worked like a charm...

While browsing in the deepin store, I did a search for nvidia drivers and noticed they offer not only the 340 but the 346 driver too. Naturally, I went with the 346 driver and this caused problems. Perhaps the deepin dev team should correct this and only offer the nvidia 340 driver. And maybe the 304.xx legacy if it works.
Reply View the author
Sojiro84
deepin
2015-01-19 03:47
Glad to hear it worked.

I didnt knew NVIDIA could also be installed from the store.

I noticed yesterday on Reddit that NVIDIA has a new stable release since yesterday (https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... e_becomes/).

I have not installed it yet. Afraid I might break things haha. Was that the version you also installed? 346.35?
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2015-01-19 06:13
Yes that was the one 346.35. I agree too, I tried to install that driver and it caused problems with the deepin desktop. So after I uninstalled the 346.xx driver using the command line, I read your response and installed the 340.xx driver and everything worked.  Whatever the reason is, only the deepin dev team would know. I would like to hear a response as to why the nvidia 340.xx driver works fine but the newer drivers don't.
Reply View the author
Sojiro84
deepin
2015-01-19 07:37
Could be that some core os stuff is slightly different from ubuntu and the nvidia driver therefore gives issues.

I tried to install the newer one but I couldn't install it because of some package errors even though I removed the old nvidia before installing.

I need the newer one because the unrealtournament alpha has glitchy lightning with 340 and that is fixed with 346.

I am still too noob to linux to fix those install issues though. Need to ask reddit maybe and browse some forums to see how to install the newer one without breaking things.
Reply View the author
dogbert0360
deepin
2015-01-19 10:55
I suspect it may have to do with the kernel. Maybe the kernel in 2014.2 ( 3.13.xx ) runs fine w/the nvidia 340.xx but the newer drivers may requirer a newer linux kernel. Just a thought...

Again this is just a opion, but only the deepin dev team would know for sure.
Reply View the author