popcorn time won't run in deepin
Tofloor
poster avatar
Joseschmoe
deepin
2015-01-28 16:21
Author
I installed successfully (I think?) the popcorn time app for movie streaming.  The problem is when I click on the icon to launch it, popcorn time doesn't execute. All I get is an extremely brief pop up screen and then nothing.  No running of popcorn time app.

I got it from its repositories. One thing I know this app works because I got it to install and run successfully on 2 other Ubuntu machines.

One more thing, this odd behavior also exhibits itself when I try to run another movie streaming app called Flixtor.  Here the install and execute of it is to untar the tar file and simply click on the Flixstor executable icon.  Same thing as with popcorn time. It flashes a pop up screen as though it were trying to run but then nothing ever happens.

Both of these apps run just fine with Ubuntu. Wot could be preventing it from running in Deeplin Linux 2014 version?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Kaabi
deepin
2015-01-28 17:31
Hi Joseschmoe,

Do you have your proprietary GPU driver installed?  If so, it may be the same bug that stops Deepin Movie app from working with the driver.  If there is a log file for Popcorn Time, could you please upload it to a service such as pastebin, and link it here?

In the mean time I will attempt to install it as well, and I'll see what happens.

EDIT: I have managed to get it up and running, and am watching something now.  I have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed.  So, my first question is the same as above, do you have the proprietary nvidia/amd driver installed?

Cheers
Kaabi
Reply View the author
Joseschmoe
deepin
2015-01-28 22:12
Hello everyone. I found out what the problem is. Popcorn time requires that you install Microsoft Fonts!  Someone helped me figure that out. Once I installed these MS Fonts everything worked just fine including Flixstor.  That's wot the problem was. I'm not sure but I think because it uses node-Webkit and that's one of the dependencies. Thanks everyone.
Reply View the author
Kaabi
deepin
2015-01-29 15:41
Hi Joseschmoe

Glad it works for you!  If you could please edit your first post and append [Solved] to the title that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kaabi
Reply View the author
Joseschmoe
deepin
2015-01-29 19:11
This is  now SOLVED. Thanks everyone. 这是目前解决
I installed successfully (I think?) the popcorn time app for movie streaming.  The problem is when I click on the icon to launch it, popcorn time doesn't execute. All I get is an extremely brief pop up screen and then nothing.  No running of popcorn time app.

I got it from its repositories. One thing I know this app works because I got it to install and run successfully on 2 other Ubuntu machines.

One more thing, this odd behavior also exhibits itself when I try to run another movie streaming app called Flixtor.  Here the install and execute of it is to untar the tar file and simply click on the Flixstor executable icon.  Same thing as with popcorn time. It flashes a pop up screen as though it were trying to run but then nothing ever happens.

Both of these apps run just fine with Ubuntu. Wot could be preventing it from running in Deeplin Linux 2014 version?
Reply View the author