Deepin Serious Issues
Tofloor
poster avatar
balkanick
deepin
2015-02-09 04:34
Author
Well using Deepin is interesting enough and quite nice, but it's quite annoying some times. I've noticed some issues, which I would like to share with everybody, with the hope that the deepin developer team will pay attention:
1) Switching keyboard layouts (that is, changing the typing language e.g. from english to greek etc) has never been harder. Alt + Shift is not available (what a shame) and the current layout isn't displayed. Last but not least, having different layouts per window is also not available (double shame).
2) There is no actual control on the startup applications, which is considered important to customization, don't you think?
3) Font managing is an issue also, I've read some comments in the forum about that. It should be more easy to manage them than it is now.
4)  What is wrong with the cursor? It keeps disappearing after I press the caps lock and the indicating letter is gone!

To be honest, I have been an ubuntu user for a long time, and I am quite impressed by Deepin and I want to keep using it for my home laptop, but there's still work to be done here.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
floweringmind
deepin
2015-02-09 13:15
Actually everything you are complaining about is in the latest version of Deepin.
Reply View the author
balkanick
deepin
2015-02-09 14:32
How's that since i'm using it...?
Reply View the author
balkanick
deepin
2015-02-09 14:35
And i am not complaining my friend floweringmind. I am a Deepin User, that is just my gaining experience. Deepin getting better is everybody's will i think
Reply View the author
floweringmind
deepin
2015-02-10 09:12
1. Changing Keyboard - Click the icons for the control center which popups out on the right. Click keyboard and Click the plus sign next to Keyboard Layout. Then Click G and choose Greece. Once you have them defined, you can just click the control center, keyboard and languages you have set. It might be 1 more click than using the keyboard shortcut. It would be nice to have keyboard short cuts to each section of the control panel.

2. Control of Startup apps - Click the rocket, find your app and right-click to choose Add To Autostart. You can do the same to remove the program from startup. I am sure you can install other programs if you want more control over startup.

3. You are right about the font management. I didn't realize the font view was just that, a font viewer. I would install font-manager from the Deepin Store, it has all these abilities.

4. This issue is a bug and I would suggest making a post about just this issue and more info that you can figure out. Maybe a USB issue? Have you tried other USB ports?

Reply View the author
balkanick
deepin
2015-02-10 15:17
I refer to the keyboard problem on how to SWITCH. Switch between layouts, not how to add more languages. Keyboard shortcuts forbid some actions, such as setting Alt + Shift shortcut for switching layouts. Plus, having DIFFERENT layout per window isn't available. From that I should be one click away, but I'm not.
The lack of language indicator is frustrating, too, but I can live with that...
Reply View the author
floweringmind
deepin
2015-02-10 18:33
You are totally right and I hope that they add in this feature. For now I have found a solution. You need to install XNeur Switcher. Run these commands:
  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrew-crew-kuznetsov/xneur-unstable
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install gxneur
Copy the Code

Then you can launch via the command line with: gxneur or in the launcher. It is a big X icon.
Reply View the author
balkanick
deepin
2015-02-11 04:31
Thank you for the workaround. I'll give it a shot, but I'm fan of "official" solutions, as everybody.
Hope that Deepin Devs will try to get it better.
Reply View the author