OS not starting up correctly(?)
Tofloor
poster avatar
TOWWTC
deepin
2015-02-18 12:39
Author
I was attempting to install the Java Development Kit onto my device when all of a sudden my device shut down (I thought it was my battery since I've been having battery-related issues with the device). I boot it back up and everything runs as normal until I realized the login prompt does not pop up. The only thig on my screen aside from the default animation is a outline of a box at the lower right corner of my screen. Once I click that I get three 'options' "deepin," "xbmc," and kodi."' Clicking any of these 'options' does nothing. I fear I might have to reinstall deepin or another OS onto the device. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Blogghete
deepin
2015-02-19 06:04
Hi TOWWTC,
please, can you tell me if you have edited /etc/profile as root by adding the following line of code?
  1. export PATH = /opt/my jdk 8 path/bin:$PATH
Copy the Code
I guess you wanted to add the /opt/jdk1.8.0_31 to your path revert to your previous version .profile and enter at the end of the line export PATH = /opt/jdk1.8.0_31.

If yes, you shouldn't edit the profile in /etc. You should make changes in your home directory, to the file ".profile". Then, if you mess up, it's easier to fix, and if you ever have more than one user, it won't affect all users. Next thing is that you need to be careful with spaces for any command. Spaces are what separates parts of the command, so if you actually have a space in your path or filename, you need to either use double-quotes, or a backslash in front of the space, like this: file\ name\ with\ spaces. This is called "escaping the space".
You will probably need to boot from a live CD, either the original or a repair disk. Once booted, you can find your installation on the hard drive, change to the /etc directory and edit the file, preferably by removing your changes (assuming you have made changes) and making them correctly in your home directory.

Select recovery mode at the GRUB bootloader provided by the Deepin suite and then it will give you a menu.

Select the dpkg menu item.

Type "Yes" when it asks you if you want to continue.

This will fix some problems. You can safely ignore most of the 'errors' there.

It will say

"Finished, press enter"

press enter and then it will be in r/w mode so you can then select root prompt and edit your stuff; then reboot.

Now, to add it to your $PATH, add the following to your ~/.profile.
  1. PATH=/opt/jre1.8.0_31/:$PATH
Copy the Code
and then log out, log back in and you should be good to go.

Regards.
Reply View the author