Bug with unlocking keyring at login.
Tofloor
poster avatar
omelette
deepin
2015-08-27 14:05
Author
Edited by omelette at 2015-8-27 06:07

There is a bug with Deepin 2014 where the 'login' keyring is often not unlocked when the user starts Linux, and also after a log-out/login.  I would have thought this was a 'Trusty-related' problem, but for the fact that I am unable to reproduce this on Mint 17.2 (which is also Trusty-based).

It is also very easy to reproduce the bug - just start Linux and open the application 'Keys and Passwords'. You will instantly see whether the 'login' keyring has been unlocked or not.  Unfortunately, it is often still locked, which results in you being prompted with the dreaded 'Unlock keyring' popup when you try to access a network-share.  As mentioned, it also happens when you log-out/log-back-in, so there is no need to restart Linux to see this problem - and I see it very often.

I wish the Deepin developers could fix this trivial yet annoying problem, especially since this has been plaguing Linux users for years!

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
horvan
deepin
2015-08-29 03:12
Usually you have to enter your password at leas once to unlock the keyring. Is auto-login activated for your account?
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2015-08-30 13:07
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30363
Usually you have to enter your password at leas once to unlock the keyring. Is auto-login activated  ...

No, I have not auto-login turned on, I login to Linux Deepin when I start the computer.

And that's the problem - having logged in, the keyring should be automatically unlocked EVERY TIME, whereas it is not!  My Mint 17.2 setup is also based on the Trusty-repository and I cannot reproduce the problem on that.

So it seems to be confined to Deepin Linux.
Reply View the author
abercoque
deepin
2015-08-31 00:08
Edited by abercoque at 2015-8-30 16:09

Hi omelette,

Not sure if this helps but I had that problem in an old ubuntu version, At that time I read that the keyring password and the system one should be the same to avoid that disgusting problem, of every boot ask to connect to wifi or for whatever reason.
{:4_138:}
Not sure if this can help you, but as I remembered that, i want to suggest it to you, there were also some delete a file, and leave blank the keyring password so you can recover direct autologin.(not using keyring anymore)
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2015-08-31 00:19
If you still have trouble drop me a note. I't qill take about one hour to get the current deepin iso for me but if you still need help I'll try to reproduce the bug as soon as possible. Just drop me a note.
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2015-08-31 12:05
https://bbs.deepin.org/user/32454 - Hi, thanks for the info.  I'm well aware of the problems associated with the keyring - this has been an ongoing problem in Linux for years!  My little rant here is the result of this recent entry in my blog.

https://bbs.deepin.org/user/31716 - Before taking you up on your offer, I have just restarted my computer 10 time in an effort to reproduce the bug - and failed!  I also tried logging-out/logging-in multiple times and failed also  - the Keyring was always unlocked at login.

Then I made a discovery - the bug seems to be that if the computer is started,  the user logs-in to Deepin and spends 10-15 minutes doing non-network related stuff (I was playing Mahjongg & Airstrike!) and then checks the keyring state, he will find that it is now locked! In other words, the keyring seems to be initially unlocked at login, but after a certain amount of time,  for some reason the keyring locks itself again!  I have done this twice in succession.

I leave my Mint 17.2 computer running 24/7 and the keyring always remains unlocked after logging-in,  so I can only assume that this problem is confined to Deepin Linux.

PS.  I have just updated Deepin and there was a big Samba upgrade.  I am sad to see that what I consider a major Samba bug is still present - if there is a remote Linux computer on the network (I have only 2 machines normally, both Linux boxes) and you 'Browse Network' via double-clicking Windows Network -> workgroups, the Browse window will suddenly crash!  What makes this worse is that the crash ONLY occurs if the remote computer is a Linux machine - a XP machine will not cause a crash!!!  This not only occurs with Deepin, but also while using Nautilus, Caja and Nemo on Mint 17.2, so seems to be Trusty-related.  It also exists with both 32-bit and 64-bit installations - my Deepin install is 64-bit, whereas my Mint 17.2 install is 32-bit.

I was hoping that this latest Samba update would have fixed things but no such luck!  Frankly, I'm embarrased for Linux and its developers over obvious bugs like this - just how much (or little!) beta-testing do those guys do before releasing software to the public, especially major applications like Samba.

Are other suffering from this Samba bug as well?
Reply View the author