Is Deepin a rolling release distro?
Tofloor
poster avatar
jeffneedle
deepin
2015-11-08 04:32
Author
Is Deepin a rolling release distro, or will I have to reinstall the entire system when the 2015 release is available?  Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find a search function in the forums.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
menny
deepin
2015-11-09 19:32
no.
deepin is based in ubuntu
yoou have to reinstall the entire sytem,  if you want deepin 2015
Reply View the author
lfalcao
deepin
2015-11-24 11:07
This doesn't make any sense.

Exactly to be based on ubuntu, it SHOULD BE possible to a rolling release distro... In ubuntu you can do: apt-get dist-upgrade.
It will not be possible, ONLY (and ONLY-IF) developers don't allow it. So, if this is the case, I will regret of change my Ubuntu Gnome to Deepin....
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-24 12:52
No, deepin is not a rolling release; neither is Ubuntu. A rolling release has continual updates, not versions. Arch is a rolling release Linux. Long term support (LTS) versions provide continuing new updates for 3-5 years. Standard releases provide new updates until the next version. You can update any release after installation, but there may not be any NEW updates after a particular date. Relax ... there are updates for deepin. I hope this clears up any confusion.
Reply View the author
ambiya
deepin
2015-11-25 12:31
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30421
No, deepin is not a rolling release; neither is Ubuntu. A rolling release has continual updates, not ...

But Deepin 2015 will be a different story. because it based on Debian.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-25 14:00
Very true, ambiya, and Debian uses a hybrid approach consisting of three levels: stable, testing, and unstable. Stable stays pretty much as is to be consistently reliable under all circumstances. Testing is like a rolling release until the bugs are worked out and it becomes the new stable. Unstable is the developers' playground until it's alpha/beta level and replaces the previous testing, which then becomes stable. I'm not sure exactly what initiates transformations, but I suspect they occur when there is no impedance at any level. Debian stable has a reputation for being boring and good for business use. Testing is more interesting and good for personal use, like a beta version or release candidate. Unstable is the bleeding edge appropriate for advanced users. Keep in mind that Debian is very traditional and vast in scope. There's a lot of repository apps to test. Debian is not particularly user-friendly like Ubuntu, but it's much less CLI-oriented than Arch. If you want to try an inviting and small Debian-based OS, I would recommend antiX-15 or its cousin MX-14.
Reply View the author
a***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2023-07-14 19:04
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.