[SOLVED] Install Deepin 15 in dual boot on UEFI PC (no secure boot)
Tofloor
poster avatar
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2015-11-19 02:01
Author
Edited by Maxximo88 at 2016-1-1 11:54

Hi guys,
I had to restore original system (Windows 8.1) in order to upgrade to Windows 10 and get my own original Windows Product Key validated to Win10.

Now, as you know I'm working as italian translator of Deepin and I want to install it in dual boot.

How can I install it on my PC without losing Windows? I have Secure Boot disabled.

Here my partition table of my Acer S3-391 ultrabook:
[attach]10138[/attach]

Forget Disk 2 (SSD Cache for Windows using Express Cache) and Disk 3 (temporary working connection with Vodafone internet Key). Obviously I want to install Deepin on Disk 1 reducing primary partition C: of 445 Gb.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
prajjwal
deepin
2017-07-24 01:05
Edited by prajjwal at 2017-7-23 17:08

It's very easy to dual boot Deepin OS and Windows 10 you can find any articles on the internet and follow it to install deepin on your Windows 10 PC dual boot

Reply View the author
dench
deepin
2017-10-18 22:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VAZgiR3-Y

This worked for me
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-19 04:28
I think I understand what you're doing. Did this approach succeed in meeting all your goals? Any particular problems along the way? Thanks for sharing.
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2015-11-19 05:32
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30431
I think I understand what you're doing. Did this approach succeed in meeting all your goals? Any par ...

Hi,
Eric52 this is a question to the community.
I don't know if install it on a UEFI PC is the same like install it on Legacy Bios PC..
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-19 15:05
Hi,
Eric52 this is a question to the community.
I don't know if install it on a UEFI PC is the sam ...

Sorry. I misunderstood. Only tried this once. Secure boot does need to be disabled. I was also able to enable a BIOS emulation to duck the issue. Check your UEFI firmware. I was not happy with the result - slow boot for everything. Hopefully, someone knows the right way to do this and can teach it to both of us.
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2015-11-20 12:59
Sorry. I misunderstood. Only tried this once. Secure boot does need to be disabled. I was also abl ...

Yep, as I said before, I have a PC with UEFI enabled but Secure Boot disabled!
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-11-20 18:02
u have legacy boot loader available in bios? some pcs offer both legacy and uefi, if u change the loader to legacy it will be much easier. press shift and click restart at login screen to enter bios and have a look. If secure boot is disabled that means it will be easier to boot from usb. boot from usb, install as normal, click expert mode and add partition(or partition in windows beforehand) chooses uefi boot loader and in stall onto your hd.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-20 18:14
Thanks, laoguang, that sounds like what I did. Maxximo88, however, seems to want to keep the UEFI active. I would think that there should be a way to incorporate this new technology, but I don't know what it is. I would like to know the method and understand it a little bit, because UEFI is probably here to stay.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-20 19:05
Wikipedia under EFI System partition says this:

See also: UEFI and Linux disk device compatibility
GRUB 2 and elilo serve as conventional, full-fledged standalone UEFI boot managers for Linux. Once loaded by a UEFI firmware, they both can access and boot kernel images from all devices, partitions and file systems they support, without being limited to the EFI System partition.

EFI Boot Stub makes it possible to boot a Linux kernel image without the use of a conventional UEFI boot loader. By masquerading itself as a PE/COFF image and appearing to the firmware as a UEFI application, an x86 kernel image with EFI Boot Stub enabled can be directly loaded and executed by a UEFI firmware. Such kernel images can still be loaded and run by BIOS-based boot loaders; thus, EFI Boot Stub allows a single kernel image to work in any boot environment.[5]

Linux kernel's support for the EFI Boot Stub is enabled by turning on option CONFIG_EFI_STUB (EFI stub support) during the kernel configuration.[6] It was merged into version 3.3 of the Linux kernel mainline, released on March 18, 2012.[7]

Gummiboot is a simple UEFI boot manager that loads and runs configured UEFI images, accessing only the EFI System partition. Configuration file fragments, kernel images and initrd images are required to reside on the EFI System partition, as Gummiboot does not provide support for accessing files on other partitions or file systems. Linux kernels need to be built with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled so they can be directly executed as UEFI images.[8]

The mount point for the EFI System partition is usually /boot/efi, where its content is accessible after Linux is booted.[9]

I call your attention to the second paragraph above. If EFI Boot Stub is enabled in the Deepin kernel (likely) then there should be an easy way to handle this. I still don't know what it is, but I think this might be the direction we should be looking at.
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2015-11-20 23:58
u have legacy boot loader available in bios? some pcs offer both legacy and uefi, if u change the lo ...

Hi, thanks!
So, I have to reduce Windows partition, install Deepin on the new free space in UEFI mode (how to install it in UEFI mode?), restart and repair Grub2 (I think..).
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-11-21 09:14
From what I've read, as long as there is an efiboot partition and the deepin kernel is properly enabled, a commandline grub install and update should work. Keep in mind, I don't KNOW this. I'm not sure I even believe it. I haven't done it, and I don't have a machine currently available to try it on (or I would). I generally play with old machines, and this is as new to me as it is to you. Windows 8 caused real problems with this, generating more help requests on all forums than anything else. I think Windows 10 is supposed to be friendlier. You're upgrading through 8 to get to 10, which confuses the issue. Still, I guess it worked for you before, so all the bones for working structure should be there. You might want to research some Grub script examples and backup what you've got before plunging in. Good luck!
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-11-28 01:18
Hi, thanks!
So, I have to reduce Windows partition, install Deepin on the new free space in UEFI m ...

sorry for the late reply, I spend most of my time on the chinese forum. boot from the installation usb, select language, enter your name and password. when you reach the partition page, select expert mode or sth like that(I don't really know what they translated it to in english). it should be on the upper right corner. find the right disk and choose that free space, select ext4 and set the mount point as /. After which, look at the bottom of installer and you will find sth like uefi. choose that and select the your whole hd,after which, click confirm or sth like that to install. Personally I did not use the uefi loader since I am using deepin on my usb, therefore, I am not sure what the uefi boot loader will give you when you boot your computer, i think it should be sth like grub.
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2016-01-02 02:46
Edited by Maxximo88 at 2016-1-1 11:59

SOLVED.I've erased Recovery Windows Partition of 19,53 Gb, after this I've installed Deepin 15 Stable in UEFI mode in that unused space, as the image here attached.

After this, my laptop boot in Windows 10, so I've changed Boot Priority in Bios and not Grub2 show me the right OS choice!

Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2016-01-02 03:43
Hey that's great, Maxximo88! I'm glad you found a way. I think Windows 10 is not friendly toward other OS, but you are still smiling. You win! - Eric
Reply View the author
m***o@gmail.com
deepin
2016-01-02 12:27
Hey that's great, Maxximo88! I'm glad you found a way. I think Windows 10 is not friendly toward oth ...

Yep, mission completed!
Reply View the author
ch******ar@gmail.com
deepin
2022-10-17 23:15
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.
to******50@gmail.com
deepin
2022-10-22 23:19
ol******99@gmail.com
deepin
2022-10-25 20:10
nz******wh@valanides.com
deepin
2023-04-15 09:09

If you have the bootloader (like GRUB) on a separate partition, then your Windows installation will work just fine. If you installed Windows on the same partition as the bootloader, then you may need to update your bootloader settings to make it work.

Reply View the author
a***4@hotmail.com
deepin
2023-07-14 22:49