deepin as cultural phenomenon
Tofloor
poster avatar
eric52
deepin
2015-12-07 08:15
Author
This post went missing last month:

I have been with Linux for a year and deepin for a week. I have tried many distros, and deepin may be the best, at least for the oldercomputers I have. Deepin is as stable and endowed with additional software as Lubunto. It is as user-friendly and flexible as Zorin. Puppy (love it!) is smaller and portable but not as full-featured. Like Puppy, deepin is distinctly different. Also like Puppy, deepin elaborates its uniqueness by developing its ownniche extensively. I intend to explore how these two Linux visions might work together. I am not sure, but I think what distinguishes both is cultural. Puppy came out of Australia, and deepin has its roots in China.Each in its own way has become international without becoming Americanized. Neither much resembles Windows. This raises a question with a philosophical dimension. Is deepin so refreshingly different because of its Chinese origin or because it (quite tactfully) does not emulate the USA vision? To what extent is this due to a cultural distinction or a different marketing model? To properly confess possible bias, I am from the US and a Norwegian family. My wife is first generation Cantonese. Marketing was my profession. I would love to consider other viewpoints on these matters and look forward to any discussion.

https://bbs.deepin.org/module

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
asterion30
deepin
2015-12-07 11:25
I think the vision of the market is wrong , do not use Windows for several years, but if I use it at work, not on my desktop computer but on servers and clients attend . Deepin ( GNU / Linux in general) is not a product you buy in a store, it is not something that does not work if you claim a corporation, is something that you are part and what can help and be helped . To be free is not only to have many things , money, profit , stability, be free is to do better every day for all to progress and progress is not having more things is to offer more to live .
Summary : I just need two things , justice and equity Everything else is filler (marketing ).
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-08 02:40
Hey, asterion30, that's interesting. Unix and Linux were developed primarily to run servers. I know of a couple of large installations that have been running Linux for years without a crash or remedial reboot. Windows is a market phenomenon aimed at the business and personal markets. Linux is a programming collaboration provided free to organizations and individuals; it has always been and continues to be a people-oriented project. deepin is a Chinese enterprise based on the Gnu model like the African enterprise Ubuntu. Ubuntu internationalized into top popularity. To the best of my knowledge, it is not culturally African. deepin also has a very active outreach program, but it is distinctly Chinese in nature. On the English and other language sites, the Chinese presence is not pronounced, but there must be a Chinese site that needs special keyboards and/or software to access. I frankly couldn't even manage pinyin effectively. In any event, deepin offers not only a free OS but an insight into Chinese culture. Check out the conference coverage on the site.
Reply View the author
asterion30
deepin
2015-12-08 12:32
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30459
Hey, asterion30, that's interesting. Unix and Linux were developed primarily to run servers. I know  ...

maybe i do not understand the theme that you pose, my english is technic, perhaps i lose something. Please you try describe the topics separated and a simply way to comunicate better the ideas. (I use google traductor to correct my text sorry)
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-08 14:09
1. deepin is an operating system, but there is more to it than the technical code that makes it work.
2. deepin is Chinese, and there is more to that than made in China. Ubuntu is made in Africa, but it is not particularly African.
3. Like Ubuntu, deepin is produced by a business, but unlike Ubuntu there is no evidence of a profitable business model that I can find.
4. Especially now, because it is switching to a Debian base, deepin is more philosophically Linux than Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.
5. The whole Gnu license concept is based more on sharing than ownership, although profit is not prohibited.
6. China is a communist country adopting some capitalistic principles.
7. There is a consistency between Chinese economics and the open source notion.
8. Does all this add up to deepin being a cultural outreach program as well as a good operating system.

Thanks, asterion30, for suggesting I arrange my thoughts in a logical sequence rather than rambling around in a pile of words. I hope this better defines the consideration.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-12-08 19:42
Deepin has got people who studied abroad from China, and usually those who is eligible to study abroad are the among the brightest in China.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-08 20:25
Yes, laoguang, and I am well aware that China has a meritocracy system more effective than most in the West. deepin displays this in concept and implementation. It is developing rapidly into a world class OS, and I'll bet it runs extremely well on Loongson chips. In all such it achieves an impressive technological position. What interests me as well is how it conveys a distinctively Chinese style from the rocket launcher to the fox emoticons on the site. In some ways it is a medium of cultural exchange in addition to a technological achievement. I find this interesting, and I encourage it. Unlike Windows, which is hopelessly American, Linux is fundamentally international, but it is still Western. deepin fills out a world-wide scope that I welcome.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-12-08 21:29
Yes, laoguang, and I am well aware that China has a meritocracy system more effective than most in t ...

The longsong chips and all the other cpus are not very popular, developers to certain extent despise them. Most of the os originated from china targets intel cpus primarily, and amd secondarily. Very few developed oss that has the ability to run on loongson cpus due to special requests from you know what.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-12-08 21:33
Yes, laoguang, and I am well aware that China has a meritocracy system more effective than most in t ...

I agree with you. Overseas chinese like me who went abroad before 2010 experienced a lot of changes when they return. Many things changed, the way how people speak, bargain in markets and live shocked us, we were still trapped in the old era of the communist China. China became more western since 2010.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-09 05:29
Very informative - thank you, laoguang. I am surprised to learn that Loongson chips are being ignored. I had heard they used emulations to avoid legal infringements but were otherwise fine devices - somewhat slow, but steady. As to Westernization ... well, I wouldn't entirely recommend it, and I was hoping for a bit of Easternization in return. A future devoid of tradition and history is not something to look forward to. Much of Western culture is not based on the observance of anything, insisting instead on the ignorance of everything in pursuit of profit. Please don't buy into that.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2015-12-09 05:39
Very informative - thank you, laoguang. I am surprised to learn that Loongson chips are being ignore ...

not only loongson, all the other cpus have been ignored, we don't find them very reliable. you must have heard of kylin os, what happened to it was unknown, some said that they are still surviving, while some say that the team give up on developing it and started to seek a place in the ubuntu family. Most of the os and cpus from china are like kylin, they tend to copy others before trying to develop their own, and yet they deny the fact that they had ever copied. I heard of this unknown type of cpus which were actually intel Haswell i5 with the serial number and other identifications scrapped off in other to trick money from the government. Both the chinese overseas and the chinese in mainland are totally disappointed with most of the IT products from china.
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-09 09:08
laoguang - Well, that stinks. I had assumed that Lenovo, for instance, would use Intel and AMD in North Carolina manufacturing and Chinese chips in Beijing for the Chinese market. Thanks for setting me straight. I would have expected China to excel in tech, and apparently it doesn't, and I would never have predicted China would become a top producer of potatoes. This goes to prove that Westerners know next to nothing about China, even if they're trying to learn. So I hope you will continue to share your insights and others will contribute theirs. Thank you for efforts to date. - eric
Reply View the author
eric52
deepin
2015-12-09 13:51
Teehee - I looked up "niubility." The pun on "newby" and the Mandarain vulgarity are perfect! Chinglish has some real potential.
Reply View the author