Application Menu Not Showing Apps
Tofloor
poster avatar
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 08:11
Author
Hello everyone!
Today I installed Deepin 15. After lots of program installations, I experienced a problem with the menu. My favourite view - "per category (icons)" (or so) - went blank.

I had to switch category... Anyway, after installing the programs that I needed, I messed with fstab, to mount the Elementary OS's home partition as home to Deepin. I nailed it and then I rebooted the machine. However now all the views are completely blank.

Now I'm launching my apps through the dock and the /usr/share/applications folder. Could somebody please help me? Why did this happen? What has gone wrong? Pleeeeeeeease help me!!!
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
twoguntom
deepin
2016-01-07 08:51
try turning it back to the default setting, restarting the machine, and see what you've got
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-01-07 08:58
That happened to be also when I changed to the by category view (text).
To fix I changed back to the default view by name. turned off the computer and power back on .
And the applications showed up again. Since then I changed back to the category view (text),
and its working okay.
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 09:07
I tried rebooting. It worked once, but then my dock was not responding. I rebooted again, and the app launcher was blank again. I rebooted again, but no luck.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-01-07 09:13
Do you have it set to the default view by name , instead of per category (icons) ?
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 10:14
Edited by aggelalex at 2016-1-6 20:20

yes, and now I have also spotted some more strange activity, the dock freezes lots of times. It's just not respontding. When for example I click an icon the program doesn't start, when I hover an icon it doesn't become lighter in color, and because I have set it to smart autohide, when I have programs in fullscreen the dock goes over them. And hot corners don't work too. Is Deepin dying in my hands? I want my PC
Edit:
By the way, I managed to make another user to see if these strange things happen there too, but everything seemed ok there. I'm confused...

Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-01-07 10:45
yeah I have experienced some of the things you mentioned , but seems like the more I use it the better it works
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 11:05
Edited by aggelalex at 2016-1-6 21:18
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30546
yeah I have experienced some of the things you mentioned , but seems like the more I use it the bett ...

I've been using it the whole day... I've rebooted my machine more than 10 times... I've logged out more than 20 times from a tty using
  1. sudo service lightdm restart
Copy the Code
. No luck. Deepin 2014.3 which was based on Ubuntu seems more stable.

By the way, I've added the Debian repos, upgraded things and then removed them. Is that the reason why Deepin hangs?

Edit
Gee, I found why the dock is freezing. It's freezing when I press the button to show the apps. Then it shows the menu, but the dock stays freezed. Deepin is melting in my own hands! I'd better stay with eOS.

Edit
Now the dock dissapeared. Couldn't be worse...
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-01-07 11:19
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30546
I've been using it the whole day... I've rebooted my machine more than 10 times... I've logged out ...

For me it help to shut down the computer. log out not fully resets. If your system too messed up by adding upgrading removing I would to a fresh install to get it right. I have three machines running Deepin 15 . Other than the mirror issue they all working good, and I am overjoyed that Deepin is using Debian now instead of ubuntu.
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 11:42
So, should I repeat all this? OMG! I feel tired from now even... {:4_92:}. Also, if I do so and don't bother working with sources.list, I'm not sure if I'm going to find all the apps that are essential to me. Deepin software center has less apps than I need. Is there any bypass to this?
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 12:21
Anyway, I reinstalled Deepin, and of course all problems are gone... YAY! {:4_112:} Anyway, thank you very much for your precious time sir Dance707. You were the only one to try to help around here. Again thank you. Have a nice day/night and a happy new year.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-01-07 13:16
Your welcome Aggelalex glad Deepin 15 is  working better for you now.
Reply View the author
aggelalex
deepin
2016-01-07 14:40
Hey, I found the cause of the problem now! I said that I had a partition of the home folder of elementary os right? Looks like Deepin needs it's own Home folder, and after messing with fstab to mount /dev/sda7 as Home folder (which I did the second time I installed Deepin too, but also kept the old home folder as /old_home) Deepin started the meltdown. Thankfully I was able to restore my default Deepin Home folder, and copy some parts of the elementary os home folder to the Deepin one, so that I have my files and my Deepin safe now! Thank God
Reply View the author
cxbii
deepin
2016-01-22 00:51
We will fix as soon as possible.
Thank you for the report.
Reply View the author