Can't get past startup screen when trying to install on mac
Tofloor
poster avatar
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-13 18:31
Author
I have a macbook pro running El Captian. When I try to boot from my USB drive with the deepin iso it goes to the a screen with the option to install deepin. I hit enter then it goes to the startup screen with the word deepin filling up with water. Once the word fills up the screen remains stuck there until I turn off the computer. I have tried burning the ISO unto the USB with various methods including the deepin boot maker and tried it with two seperate downloads of the ISO but ended with the same results.

Any ideas to what might being going wrong?
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
laoguang
deepin
2016-01-14 07:54
use md5 /path/iso and compare the md5 sum.
try to mount the iso(most likely not working cos when i tried, it gave me no mountable file system)
if not use external software from app store like the rar extractor free to extract it.
i am using a late 2013 retina 13inch pro and i had no issues.
when you extracted the iso, you will find this app called deepen boot maker inside a zip file with the same name(copy it to your application folder is u wish)
use that and create the usb.

press option key during boot up and you will see 2 yellow volumes called windows(mac firmware tend to name every os that is not os x as windows, it is deepin) and efi.
select the efi volume and u will see grub
hit enter and proceed, if you are still stuck please provide more info about your mac, other than the os x
it is possible to have a uefi loader(deepin provide that, click expert partition and click uefi)
all done, i don't expect it to provide sth like grub, but it may cause deepen to be the primary boot os
and u can't change it in startup disk
so one tip
press option key, you will find volumes, the deepen will be in the form of a hard disk partition called windows(you can rename it using the bless command if os x can read the file system, i have nor tried deepen on my mac unless the 15.1 comes out, since retina will then be supported)
when you does that, select macintosh hd, press the control key, and you will see the arrow becomes a circle, hit enter and you can set it as primary os
if not, you may want to install external boot loaders like refind, which requires the sip to be disabled, so boot into the recovery partition and run csrutli disable)
good luck
Reply View the author
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-14 18:03
Thank you. I have a mid 2009 mbp so I'm thinking that may be the problem (if it is too old). I used the deepin boot maker and refind. When booting the Linux volume shows up, my problem is when I select it the computer gives me the option to install deepin but once I choose that option the deepin startup page (black screen with the word deepin filling up with water) appears but the screen freezes here and won't go any further. I will check the md5 when I get a chance but it will be a few days before I have access to my computer.

Also is grub where it gives the option to install? Because I don't get to the point where I can click expert partition.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2016-01-14 19:05
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30581
Thank you. I have a mid 2009 mbp so I'm thinking that may be the problem (if it is too old). I used  ...

okay, you can only get to the expert mode after the booting process, i am not sure but does it use intel chips?
and does it have open firmware?
Reply View the author
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-14 19:31
Yes it has an Intel duo 2 core processor and open firmware
Reply View the author
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-14 19:41
No sorry the computer has EFI
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2016-01-14 23:22
okay, try pressing the option key, do not use refind unless necessary.
and how much ram?
deepen requires better hardware to run, just wait a while and see.
Reply View the author
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-15 13:11
I was using just the option key at first but when that didn't work I installed refind. I just installed 8gb of ram so that shouldn't be a problem. Since this is my first time trying to instal Linux when I get back to my computer I'll try installing a different distro to make my problem isn't with Linux in general then try deepin again.
Reply View the author
laoguang
deepin
2016-01-15 18:16
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30581
I was using just the option key at first but when that didn't work I installed refind. I just instal ...

hmm, did you select the efi volume?
i suggest debian.
Reply View the author
d***2@hotmail.com
deepin
2016-01-17 08:39
Yes. Okay I'll try Debian thanks
Reply View the author