Both Deepin and recovery mod won't start (graphical driver problem)
Tofloor
poster avatar
kyron
deepin
2016-03-24 00:13
Author
Hi, I have a problem with my Deepin install.
In fact I wanted to try the amd proprietary driver instead of the open source one because I experimented such little graphical problems.
However, after a restart, Deepin is blocked at the starting of xorg. I can't do anything.
I tried to boot in the recovery mod but I can't load a boot shell. All I can see is error messages about "root account is locked".
Well, so how can I enter my root password or even access to a root shell ?
I found out this thread about ubuntu (http://askubuntu.com/questions/3 ... driver-via-terminal), is this the same way to do it with Deepin ?
And how can I found a recovery ISO without reinstall ?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dailidu
deepin
2016-03-24 02:03
Hi, two way to do that. The first is add init=/bin/bash to the kernel command line. In grub menu, select the item you want to boot into, and press 'e' to enter edit mode, append 'init=/bin/bash' to the line which starts with 'linux'.

The second way is dd the deepin-15-*.iso to a USB stick, and select rescue mode, boot into desktop.

Both ways you can mount your rootfs and change your password.
Reply View the author
kyron
deepin
2016-03-24 06:02
Actually I do not have forgotten my password. I can access the root shell and my shell too. xorg tell me that my screen isn't detected. How can I unistall the proprietary driver and use the open - source one instead?
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-24 06:56
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30879
Actually I do not have forgotten my password. I can access the root shell and my shell too. xorg tel ...

Hi, which AMD driver did you install ? , what method did you use to install it ? and did you backup the xorg configuration files ?
Reply View the author
kyron
deepin
2016-03-24 09:02
I installed the amd proprietary driver (I don't know the exact reference, sorry) instead of the open-source one. I installed it with the proprietary driver manager.
I didn't backup the xorg configuration files.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-24 13:53
Edited by dance707 at 2016-3-23 15:21
I installed the amd proprietary driver (I don't know the exact reference, sorry) instead of the open ...

The latest AMD catalyst Proprietary Driver download when unzipped contains a 44 page pdf of how to install and remove. Though the installer notes mention it does not contain the preparation steps that need to be done depending on your distribution. From my experience It is normally best to backup and or clone your root partition before trying proprietary drivers so you can easily revert the system back to original state.
Reply View the author
ranmaruhibikiya
deepin
2016-03-25 15:14
Hi kyron.
I get problems when installed the nvidia's propetary drivers and reboot.
On my side, this was because the propietary drivers doesn't add or change the xorg config.
Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the root of this problem.
When you detect the name of your propietary driver, add it on the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf (or the name you want to put it)
The file structure is something like:
  1. Section "Device"
  2.    Identifier    "Device0"
  3.    Driver        "vesa" #Choose the driver used for this monitor
  4. EndSection
Copy the Code

Change "vesa" (generic one) with the amd ones.
Reply View the author
kyron
deepin
2016-03-29 04:25
Hi ! I tried to test all your advices but no one worked... I reinstalled Deepin and all seems to work fine now... But sometimes the launcher is displayed at the vertical middle of the screen. I mean wtf ? I use Deepin since 3 weeks now and I got so many problems...
In any case thanks guys for your answers.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-29 04:46
Hi ! I tried to test all your advices but no one worked... I reinstalled Deepin and all seems to wor ...

Can you upload a screen shot of this issue ? and are you using a second monitor ?
Reply View the author
kyron
deepin
2016-04-07 06:53
I am using a second monitor yes. After a restard the problem doesn't seem to appear again.
However, my second monitor is on the left of my main monitor. Actually if I don't change the settings, I have to move the pointer on the right to go on the other monitor, even if I configured earlier to move on the left. After a restart, I must have to click on "extended view" to make it work normally. Do you know how to autodetect it on startup or do you know how to write a script to do it ?
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-04-07 10:11
I am using a second monitor yes. After a restard the problem doesn't seem to appear again.
However,  ...

Yes it quite easy to use a xrandr script if your using the open source graphics driver. In fact I use a script for my Quad Monitor Workstation that uses dual AMD cards. Using xrandr commands you can select primary monitor and position of the monitors. After you have determined the commands that are required. A user's ~/.xprofile file is executed on Xorg startup if it exists and is executable. Place your commands into this file and they will be executed when you log in.
Reply View the author