poster avatar
xskyfire
deepin
2016-03-24 09:09
Author
so i made a shortcut via the
  1. gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/.local/share/applications --create-new
Copy the Code
now, i seem to have failed to make it run and i want to delete it. i searched in
  1. /usr/share/applications
  2. and
  3. /usr/local/share/applications
Copy the Code
but i can't seem to locate the generated .desktop file

hoping somecan can pinpoint it to me. thank you so much
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dance707
deepin
2016-03-24 15:08
Its not easy to say from the information you provided. You could try searching with the Nautilus file manager by Ctrl + f
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-24 22:37
Also on my system I do not show the gnome-desktop-item-edit , what version of Deepin have you installed ?
Reply View the author
xskyfire
deepin
2016-03-25 06:37
well, i searched for a way to create shorcuts on linux. and i found that "gnome-desktop-item-edit" thing. i think it works as is, but the problem i have now is how to delete created shortcuts from that.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-25 07:01
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30880
well, i searched for a way to create shorcuts on linux. and i found that "gnome-desktop-item-edit" t ...

On my Deepin 15.1.1 systems it returns a command not found message.
Reply View the author
xskyfire
deepin
2016-03-27 18:51
well, you install it first via apt
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
then you run it
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-03-27 20:08
Edited by dance707 at 2016-3-26 22:26
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30880
well, you install it first via apt  then you run it

My concern is that installing gnome-panel into the Deepin system . While the roots of Deepin come from Gnome, the project has evolved into its own especially with this years version with a Gala based windows manager, HTML5, and QT. So not all of the old Gnome things are compatible with the Deepin OS. I would much rather see a manual method of creating shortcuts.
That being said I tried your method and it does seem to work. I tested with a manual Firefox install. And following your method my .desktop file was in ~/.local/share/applications and I was able to delete it as well. Remeber that the tilde symbol followed by the slash symbol  ~/  refers to the users home in directory in Linux.
Reply View the author