Someone paying attention to Microsoft's Build 2016?
Tofloor
poster avatar
u855697021
deepin
2016-03-31 05:14
Author
One of the reason it attracts me is that Microsoft is cooperating with Canonical to bring Ubuntu Server Edition on to Windows in a container.
Recently someone discovered "lxss.sys" in a Win10 build, and many people suspect that LXSS stands for "Linux Subsystem".
My opinion is that Microsoft may want to run Docker on its own platform, but most of the Docker images are Linux images.
So they take advantage of the micro-kernel design of Windows to implement a Linux compatible layer.
If one day we can run docker images and linux natively on Windows that should definitely be something good.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dance707
deepin
2016-03-31 05:41
I have not seen the Official announcement that is due today. Early indications are that Ubuntu wil run on a fondation of native Windows libraries for developers.
Reply View the author
jotapesse
deepin
2016-04-01 03:37
Edited by jotapesse at 2016-3-31 11:39

Why would it be great to use Linux natively in Windows? I used to think like that, after all Windows is 'everywhere'. Today I've discarded Windows and really prefer to use Linux and Linux apps natively in Linux.

I would be very wary of Microsoft and it's relation to Linux. In the past 20 years at least, the experience as shown that you should not trust it, whatever the good intentions it seems to have. Embrace, extend and extinguish...
Reply View the author
u855697021
deepin
2016-04-01 06:25
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30896
Why would it be great to use Linux natively in Windows? I used to think like that, after all Windows ...

Well, I'm actually using Deepin and have no Windows on computer when I'm typing this.
Linux is good and it is more elegant and open than Windows, I admit.
But in China it would be unconvenient if you don't have Windows, and even people using Mac will have to install Windows directly on the computer or in a virtual machine.
That's because many common Chinese softwares only have Windows versions, and there are few popular, open-source alternatives. Then many old Chinese websites are still using ActiveX, which means you can't use online bank service without IE.
And wine cannot run them well on Linux.
So if there is a platform that runs both common softwares and Unix-like dev tools I will surely give it a try.
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-04-01 22:11
MS do this for profit, linux users will not have anything of this. They want to "detain" windows users not moving from windows to linux... ;)
Reply View the author
jotapesse
deepin
2016-04-02 00:29
Well, I'm actually using Deepin and have no Windows on computer when I'm typing this.
Linux is goo ...

I understand, but trouble is if your/everyones effort goes into keep things working in windows we are playing the same game all over again. That's what they want you to do. True, we all made mistakes in the past, we put our effort in making it work in MS environment and disregarded the standards, and the old sites and apps you talk about is the result of it. We didn't know better back then. But now we should learn from it and take our efforts to make it work with open standards so that it works in ANY environment, not only Linux or MS.
Reply View the author
u855697021
deepin
2016-04-02 02:01
I understand, but trouble is if your/everyones effort goes into keep things working in windows we a ...

The problem is most companies in China are quite commercial and don't care about Linux, because they think few people are using Linux and these people won't bring any profit for them...
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-04-02 05:02
The title of this post is regarding Microsoft's Build 2016, not the issue of whether one should use MS or not. Keep in mind not everyone is able to work or live in a MS free environment or wants to for that matter. This is why Deepin as partnered with Codeweavers to bring you Deepin CrossOver an application that helps you run some Windows applications on Linux.
While most developers are welcoming the Build 2016 one has to stop and think what MS is going to do about being way behind Linux in the Cloud, and what Canonical is going to do about its annual multi million dollar net operating loss.
I am glad Deepin is now a Debian based Linux!
Reply View the author
u855697021
deepin
2016-04-02 19:22
Edited by u855697021 at 2016-4-2 11:24
The title of this post is regarding Microsoft's Build 2016, not the issue of whether one should use  ...

OK, that's my fault. I'm bit off topic.

Microsoft is actually using every means to attract developers.
They introduce Siri API, App Converter for Win32/.NET and Ubuntu on Windows just on Day 1. That's lots of good news.
What I'm glad of is that Microsoft is no longer the traditional commercial software company, but a modern company just like Google and Apple.
And they indeed have been more friendly to the open source world.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-04-02 19:59
Edited by dance707 at 2016-4-1 21:02

Microsoft is actually using every means to attract develop ...

Hi Its okay this is coffee lounge right. There are a lot of interesting things going on in the computer and software world. And whether your a fan of MS and Canonical or not its still important to be aware of what is going on. I am glad your participating in the English forum.
Reply View the author
u855697021
deepin
2016-04-02 20:37
Hi Its okay this is coffee lounge right. There are a lot of interesting things going on in the comp ...

Yeah.
In fact I'm not a fan of Microsoft, and I like the design of modern Unix systems.
However Microsoft is doing a good job on making development easier on Windows, which just makes me (and probably many others who want to run some sort of Unix on Windows) thrilled.

I like Deepin too, as it's the best Linux distribution in China, but after many years of development there are still some small problems and instability in the system.
I also hope that one day Linux can be stable for desktop users, while still maintain its strength from Unix shells and tools.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-04-02 20:47
So far Deepin has been the best Linux solution on my Quad Monitor Workstation. I hope all goes well with ther new Linux Kernel Plan.
Reply View the author
troyr
deepin
2016-07-08 07:28
The title of this post is regarding Microsoft's Build 2016, not the issue of whether one should use  ...

Agreed,, Debian was one of my favorites, so Deepin on Debian is iceing on my cake...Good works!
Reply View the author
omelette
deepin
2016-07-09 08:32
Given that M$ is now forcing Win7 users to upgrade to Win10, I would be more than a little suspicious of any M$ code being embedded into Linux.  That said, I have been playing with Win7 for the past week, trying to get Bluetooth working with an Intel N-7260 wireless card - what a POS of a card from Intel, had I just did a search beforehand, I would have come across dozens of people in the same dilemma!  And Intel seems powerless (or clueless) to provide a fix.  Yeah, I know, off-topic, but this is the 'Lounge' after all, and I need to blow off steam!
Reply View the author
doorsoft
deepin
2016-07-09 11:02
No, thank you.. i use linux.. ;)
Reply View the author
troyr
deepin
2016-07-15 09:27
Edited by troyr at 2016-7-15 01:33

Microsoft is actually using every means to attract develop ...

Of course their more friendly to the open source world....I'ts  a threat they cannot combat...! Plus it is more secure,everyone knows that. Personally, I've been trying to ween myself off window$ for years. I'm so tired of malware,viruses,trojans and rootkits......
Sorry for ranting      {
Reply View the author
j***8@gmail.com
deepin
2023-03-24 06:34
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.