Updates ?
Tofloor
poster avatar
alaa
deepin
2016-04-09 03:22
Author
Hi,

I thought deepin is now based on unstable debian which is rolling release so the system should be up to date at almost all times.

Now it looks oudated by miles from what it should be,I have a whole lot of outdated applications,I'm just going to state a few of them.

- Firefox.
- Android studio.
- Nylas N1.
- filezilla.

And some other Apps.

So what's the plan you have ?
Is it monthly updates ?

Thanks.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dance707
deepin
2016-04-09 03:43
Edited by dance707 at 2016-4-8 05:06

Hi, Welcome to the Deepin Forum. Currently Firefox is from the Deepin sources as in the past Debian offered Iceweasel. And as far as I know the other 3 that you mentioned are not even offered in Debian(sid) repositories.
They have not stated there plans but latley we have seen big monthly updates. The last one we had was a week ago.

correction it does look like filezilla is the exception of the other 3, though Deepin is using the latest version offered by Debian(sid) at this time.
Reply View the author
alaa
deepin
2016-04-09 07:51
Edited by alaa at 2016-4-8 23:52

Thanks dance707 for the welcome,

I may have not make my point clear enough,I meant that the entire OS should be up to date with the latest packages,I know that there is some testing that should be done before releasing updates but updates are taking too long before release.

I also appreciate the effort taken by the deepin team to make common applications that are not available in other distros available in the store.

But like I said,when I switched to deepin I thought the entire OS will be up to date (from deepin sources and debian sid).

So my question is what's taking so long ?
Some applications are 3-4 releases behind.
Reply View the author
dance707
deepin
2016-04-09 08:25
Edited by dance707 at 2016-4-8 09:35
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30922
Thanks dance707 for the welcome,

I may have not make my point clear enough,I meant that the entire  ...

Yes of course there is testing and also QA, and in some cases they first have to build and compile the package from source code and make sure it does not destabilize the system. Sorry I can not speak for them. I would suggest if your concerned about some particular applications would be to use Deepin User Feedback in your applications to ask them if they can update or for more information from Deepin. And of course advanced users can always install the latest versions themselves.
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-04-10 01:14
Edited by tristar at 2016-4-9 10:16

I think you can still do this:

1) edit your sources.list
2) put in it debian sid
3) sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and you can repeat step 3 every day, every week, every month and when package hits sid, you will have it too.
Reply View the author
alaa
deepin
2016-04-11 00:42
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/30922
I think you can still do this:

1) edit your sources.list

No,I would not want to mess with the sources.list file as this is discouraged by the deepin team.
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-04-11 03:54
Edited by tristar at 2016-4-10 12:56

This is one of the options. In reality you wait for same steps from the deepin team. They update their repository from SID, they add their DDE files and that is it.
Reply View the author
soar_sola
deepin
2016-04-11 09:40
Hi, Alaa. It's a little confusing to people that deepin == debian unstable.
deepin takes debian as its upper source, but if you are careful enough, you will find that not all software in deepin can be found in debian unstable, and the same for vice-versa. While debian unstable is "unstable" and under testing within debian community, deepin is actually a commercial company (like ubuntu) and has certain commitments for large industrial companies, which in return, of course cannot just take everything from debian unstable without caution.
Plus, deepin is still working on stability (both end-user level and server level) improvement, so I guess updating their software version is not their top concern.

Actually, the reason for me to finally choose deepin is because of its potential: rolling release, more software integration (wps office), better update server structure (CDN) and proven stability (based on debian). I've used different kind of linux, and I seriously think deepin might be my last stop in choosing between linux OSes.
Reply View the author