Can't Boot into Deepin
Tofloor
poster avatar
rohan
deepin
2016-06-18 06:38
Author
Edited by rohan at 2016-6-17 22:42

Hello, I installed deepin linux and the Installer ran fine without a problem. However, after that sometime the OS failed to boot and showed a blackscreen for some time and rebooted to Grub menu. Sometime it booted at the first attempt but sometime it took up to 3 or 4 attempts just to boot into the OS. Now the situation is even worse, I can't even boot into Deepin anymore, now the black screen is completely obstructing me to run Deepin OS.

To clear the facts, Grub is loading every time and I can normally boot into Windows 10 every time too, but the problem is with booting into Deepin OS.

I think it is a kernel panic or something like that, may be Grub is failing to load the kernel. I don't know if it is a Grub fault or Deepin fault or my System's fault but reinstallation doesn’t helping in this case.

Infos that can be helpful :  I am dual booting Windows 10 with Deepin OS 15.2, Windows 10 and Deepin are installed in separate hard disks where W10 disk is the first and default disk and deepin disk is the second one (In this way grub is not messing with Windows bootloader).

Now I am looking forward to any type of suggestions or answers. Thank you all in advance.

Regards Rohan.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
elizabeth
deepin
2016-06-18 06:51
Have you tried a different kernel?  Installing a different one if need be.  Could be a graphics error.  When you get this blank screen can you get to the console via Ctrl-Alt-F1?
Reply View the author
rohan
deepin
2016-06-18 09:13
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31170
Have you tried a different kernel?  Installing a different one if need be.  Could be a graphics erro ...

Thanks for the quick reply. No I have not tried any other Kernels because I don’t know how to do it. And I don't think there is any console available because CPU light is completely dead at that moment. What can I do now?   
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2016-06-18 09:50
When it boots into grub, should be a boot menu.  If there is a different Kernel it be in that list.  Anywhere from 1-3 different boot modes, usually a fall back, the Deepin Default at the top.  Windows at the bottom.

Well unless its completely locked up a black screen usually means it can't connect to an x-server (The graphical environment)  Hitting Ctrl-Atl-F1 would then take it to to terminal.  There is an option to edit the boot menu line and boot to the terminal and not start the x-server.  I'd have to look that up.
Reply View the author
rohan
deepin
2016-06-25 02:52
When it boots into grub, should be a boot menu.  If there is a different Kernel it be in that list.  ...

The problem is not about loading graphical environment because the processor is not loading anything at all, it is just blank for some time (The indicator red light is not even turned on for a second) and restarting automatically.

I figured out that Ubuntu has exactly the same problem as Deepin (after updating kernel to latest version the problem still exist), but Manjaro linux is working fine every time, so what is the problem...? I think the problem is with my hardware but there should exist some workaround to fix this issue.
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2016-06-25 08:26
So both Deepin and Ubuntu run fine after installation.  But crash probably after a Kernel update?  If the boot menu isn't giving an option to chose the 4.2 kernel or the 4.4, which would list advance boot options for deepin.  You can try reinstall and lock the Linux-image at 4.2.  But I get a default Kernel at 4.4 and 4.2 under the sub-menu.

You stated you can get to the Grub boot Menu?  I see now, I missed you were using two drives.  Try configuring your PC to boot the Linux drive first, then reinstall, possibly still try locking the kernel.  It may not be correctly mapping your root, home partitions, (when the order changes in the Bios the mapping needed for the OS changes.  Or try adding Linux to the Windows boot Menu.

Its quite possible Grub can't find your Linux Kernel if the mapping changed!

I personally would just set it to boot the Windows drive at SDA, install Deepin to the second drive, Grub to SDA.  In this way your not changing the Boot device at startup to change drives, therefore you shouldn't have any mapping issues.

Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-25 16:37
I have a similar setup with Windows 10 on one disk and Deepin and two other distros on a 2nd disk. Maybe you can go into your pcs Bios, F2 or similar, prior to booting and change the efi boot priorities to have the Deepin disk boot first, and if you are able to boot into Deepin, perform a sudo update-grub and reboot. On my pc, the Deepin boot loader gives me the option to boot into any of five distros, including Windows 10. Also, if I remember correctly, when I installed Deepin on a separate disk, I disconnected the Windows disk before installing Deepin on its own disk, for even with two separate disks, Windows 10 attempts to control both disks, including bootloaders. Try reconnecting disk , then booting into Deepin and updating grub. I do not know if any of this will work on your particular pc or if some other problem is the cause. Perhaps a more experienced forum member can give you a hand. Good luck.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-06-25 18:28
windows sucks!)))
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-25 19:43
Indeed. Microsoft thinks it owns my pc and can do or break whatever it so desires. That is why tried to isolate Windows on its own drive.
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2016-06-25 19:50
Yes windows 10 is horrid, built in spyware and who knows what else.  Its junk get rid of it, use 7 if you want Windows.  I don't have any problems with 7 instaledl on the same drive as Linux.  But don't use it much, occasional game.  Just a game platform to me like and Xbox.  lol
Reply View the author
rohan
deepin
2016-06-27 00:44
So both Deepin and Ubuntu run fine after installation.  But crash probably after a Kernel update?  I ...

Actually No.... they crashed even after kernel update (and before kernel update too) but the crash is occasional, I can boot into deepin after 1 to 3 attempts now.

I will try your methods later tonight. May be there is a mapping problem as you stated. But if grub can not map things then why it booted after some attempts ?  Sound suspicious.
Reply View the author
rohan
deepin
2016-06-27 00:48
I have a similar setup with Windows 10 on one disk and Deepin and two other distros on a 2nd disk. M ...

I can boot into deepin after some attempts and I updated grub many times, but it is not effecting anything at all.  Yes grub is not only detecting os from current disk but also from all other disks attached to the pc, that is good. I thought about that disconnection method but i am too lazy to do it, but it seems now i have to do it :/  .... Thanks for your suggestions bro.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-27 04:05
It is a hassle and there is probably an easier, technically correct method. For what it is worth, after reconnecting W10 and rebooting, I now had a boot screen with the option to boot into W10 or the the other disk, which when booted into gave me a Deepin boot screen with my 3 Linux distros as options. I booted into Deepin, updated grub, rebooted, and then had the Deepin boot screen with all of the distros, rather than the two disks, listed as options. Everything has worked well since then.Also, somewhere on this site is a tweak tool offered by Deepin that sets W10 time to UTC time. It came in handy because W10 time was always off every time I booted into W10 after getting things set up. Good luck with the setup.
Reply View the author
rohan
deepin
2016-07-02 11:27
Yes that time related bug is pretty common with linux. But currently i need some luck, because i'm running out of luck. My hard disk is very close to a failure (as suggested by SMART) and this is why i am not using it until i get a new hd, that is fuking unlucky. I am not a big gamer so I only need Windows for Photoshop and that's it (Gimp is a shit), hoping that some Chinese app developers will make a Photoshop clone like WPShop (:p) in near future...
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-07-02 17:01
Hope your new HD cures your problem(s).  I, too, only keep W10 around to use with my printers and a few other programs. Deepin will probably offer a Superior Photoshop app in the near future. Good luck with the new HD.
Reply View the author