No Audio via HDMI
Tofloor
poster avatar
linuxnoob
deepin
2016-06-28 16:57
Author
I have a Kangaroo+ mini-PC that uses Cherry Trail. From what I've read this is mostly unsupported but there have been patches made. I'm hoping to see something made for Deepin OS.
I tested the latest version of the following: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/kernel/bytx3audiowhatever/

It did make audio via HDMI work but it broke internet functionality. I couldn't launch the shop or Chrome. As my username suggests, I am very new to Linux and any help would be appreciated.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
elizabeth
deepin
2016-06-28 19:24
I'm not sure what that is exactly.  But sometimes it defaults to the standard speaker/headphone out jack.  If the HDMI isn't shown under the multimedia settings and you can't move it to the default.

And you need special libraries added to your Kernel for it to work.  I'd suggest you look for the sources, maybe there's a dkms file, with that and the headers it can recompile into the Deepin Kernel.

Though Chrome is no longer supported and being updated for Linux, use Firefox.  ( They should remove that from the store)  I bet with that Alternate Kernel the store isn't seeing a Deepin Kernel and not working.  But you don't need the store to add software, you can use apt-get or install synaptic with "sudo Apt-get install synaptic"  This will alow you to search packages and software and install them.

So if every thing else is working great, try using Synaptic.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-06-28 23:31
sudo apt install pavucontrol
Reply View the author
linuxnoob
deepin
2016-06-28 23:57
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31210
I'm not sure what that is exactly.  But sometimes it defaults to the standard speaker/headphone out  ...

I will try that. Hopefully Firefox will still work.
Reply View the author
linuxnoob
deepin
2016-06-29 00:00
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31210
sudo apt install pavucontrol

I tried installing the audio controller but the problem has something to do with Cherry Trail. The system won't recognise it as a sound card, I only get the dummy output. I don't know anything about how Kernel patching works but whatever those files did made the sound card recognisable but broke those other apps in the process.
Reply View the author
linuxnoob
deepin
2016-06-29 00:48
Unfortunately, using those patches kills the Internet connection altogether. I noticed a bunch of text that looked like error messages on shutdown but it was too fast for me to read.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-30 04:33
Hello again. It's Steve from Apricity forum.Good to see that you were able to install Deepin, but sorry about the audio problem. In case you have not done so,have you been to the support site for the K+ to see if they have any updates for your device? On "Newegg" reviews of the K+, I noticed that several people were having HDMI audio problems too. Also on that site, the manufacturer provides a phone# for support. Who knows, they might actually be able to help.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-30 12:50
Reply View the author
linuxnoob
deepin
2016-06-30 13:21
Hi Steve. I'm really glad you recommended deepin, I like it a lot so far. I actually ordered an Alienware Alpha that should work no problem. I think in going to try that openelec distro on the Kangaroo and use it in the living room. Thanks again.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-06-30 16:17
Glad you like Deepin.  Enjoy the Alienware.
Reply View the author