No wifi on new install
Tofloor
poster avatar
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 07:04
Author
Hey everyone,

I've just gotten into Deepin 15.2 (not an upgrade) and can't seem to find any way to connect wifi.  I've tried WangYaohua's recommendation from this post: https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31083

I only have options in "Network" for "Wired Network" and "System Proxy".

Running an Acer Aspire with Windows 10 and Deepin.  

I'm new to Linux, so feel free to write to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Thanks,

Jason
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
1 / 2
To page
stevex
deepin
2016-08-07 07:49
Just a few ideas. Have you tried rebooting with the wired connection disconnected to see if wifi will be recognized? Is there an option to enable or disable wifi in settings? Do you have a usb wifi adapter or dongle that you could use to see if you get wifi? Do you have wifi when using W10? Rebooting  sometimes does wonders. Good luck.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 08:09
Thanks for the response Stevex.  

I have rebooted with no success.  I don't have a wired connection at all, it's all been wifi.  If there is an option to enable wifi in the settings, I haven't been able to find it.  I do not have a usb wifi adaptor or dongle to test.  Wifi is working fine in Windows 10.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-08-07 08:31
What's your WiFi chip? to see it open a terminal and type: lspci | grep Network
The output terminal write here.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-07 08:41
Edited by stevex at 2016-8-7 00:45

One other thing you can try is: if you have the options, right before you boot into Deepin, to boot into Deepin recovery mode(s) or other Deepin kernels, boot into one of those options and see if you have wifi then. If still no wifi, perhaps another forum member with expertise on the issue will help you out. You can get a sufficiently good usb wifi adapter for under $10. Oh, you might try turning off wifi in W10 before you reboot into Deepin and see what happens. Who knows? Good luck.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 08:57
@com_bvv, it says Qualcom Atheros Device 0042 (rev 30)

@Stevex, I tried logging into recovery mode, but it says that the system is locked and redirects me to what seems to be the normal boot.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-08-07 09:11
Edited by com_bvv at 2016-8-7 01:19

check whether you have the package installed firmware-atheros.
With this chip never had any problems. That's still an option, as it turned out the problem was with this chip.
https://github.com/ajaybhatia/Qualcomm-Atheros-QCA9377-Wifi-Linux
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-07 13:14
Thanks for the response com_bvv,

I ran a check and it "seems" to be there, however, in the description it says "This package contains the binary firmware for USB wireless network and Bluetooth cards supported by the ar5523, ath3k, ath6kl_sdio, ath6kl_usb"  then lists  all of the contents.  Again, really new to Linux so not sure if that's significant.
Reply View the author
faizanasad
deepin
2016-08-07 15:38
So, i downloaded Deepin right now (Just Right Now ).
Is this a common bug?
should i install Deepin or not?
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-07 16:32
Edited by stevex at 2016-8-7 09:18
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31335
Is this a common bug?
should i install Deepi ...

Hello. From my experience on this forum, not having wifi on one's pc after installation is not common. If you have the same pc hardware as "jason_c", then I would be somewhat concerned. If not, then it will probably not be an issue.  There are so many pc architectures out there that predicting who will encounter bugs upon installation is a guessing game. Hope this helps somewhat. Do you have an Atheros wifi card in your pc? Good luck.
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-08-08 00:29
Is this a common bug?
should i install Deepi ...

Before doing the installation, use the live mode. Check out all on working capacity. How to run in live mode is already written.
Reply View the author
faizanasad
deepin
2016-08-08 02:42
Hello. From my experience on this forum, not having wifi on one's pc after installation is not comm ...

Well thankyou for your reply! pretty fast community though  BTW i hope i don't stuck in installation process. i'm installing in my laptop
Reply View the author
faizanasad
deepin
2016-08-08 03:33
Before doing the installation, use the live mode. Check out all on working capacity. How to run in ...

Thankyou!yes i always try live cd before installation and right now i have elementary OS installed and i know it would be difficult to dual boot both of them ....just curious about its UI is it worth it?
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-08-08 04:11
Thankyou!yes i always try live cd before installation and right now i have elementary OS installed ...

You are on the forum dedicated Deepin operating system. I do not know what to answer you
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-08 04:20
Edited by stevex at 2016-8-7 20:22

The UI is the main reason that may happy Deepin OS users think that Deepin is the best Linux distro they have experienced, and many of these users have done a lot of distro hopping prior to installing Deepin . If Elementary OS is the only Os installed on your pc, dual booting should be easy. But if you also have W10 also installed, then dual booting will be more difficult.Good luck.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-08 19:44
Hey everyone,

Looks like the conversation went on a little detour   Just wondering if anyone has any additional recommendations I can try for solving the issue.  I'd really like to get into using Deepin, but can't do much with it without wifi.  If I need to get a USB device I can, but would really like to see it working with the system as it is.

Thanks,

Jason
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-08 21:32
Edited by stevex at 2016-8-8 13:48
Hey everyone,

Looks like the conversation went on a little detour   Just wondering if anyone has  ...

Yes-back on track. Hopefully a technically savvy forum member will come along to give you a hand. The only thing I can suggest for now ( and it's a longshot ) is to install synaptic package manager " sudo apt-get install synaptic" ,which should show up in your apps, open it, go to installed packages, scroll to packages "firmware-brcm80211" and "firmware-atheros" and perhaps some others , and reinstall the packages by right clicking on the package and marking for reinstallation and then clicking apply, and then reboot. In the past, I have lost my wifi after an update and reinstalling certain wifi packages and rebooting has restored my wifi. In any event, I  think it is harmless and worth a try, but you might want to ask the forum if reinstalling firmware packages is safe before doing so. Good luck.
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-09 14:53
Hey Stevex,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went out and bought an Ethernet cable so I'm at least connected to the internet and don't need to download everything on another computer and transfer via flash drive anymore.  Also tried purchasing a wifi dongle, no luck there either.  It came with a cd for drivers, and it wasn't until I went to install that I realized this new pc doesn't have a cd drive.  Not sure if I knew that when I bought it or not, but I haven't had one in 4 years so I doubt I even thought about that.  

I'll give your solution a try and see what I end up with.

Thanks Again!
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2016-08-09 16:10
Hey Stevex,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went out and bought an Ethernet cable so I'm at least ...

Hi. I guess you have already tried the wifi dongle without success, but most wifi dongles usually work right out of the box with many Linux distros. In other words, you do not need to run the cd to install drivers for it to work properly, just plug and play. If it does not work that way, you can go the makers website and usually download the drivers from there,bypassing the cd. Good luck.
Reply View the author
jingle
deepin
2016-08-09 18:49
Execute lspci -v  command to feedback
Reply View the author
jason_c
deepin
2016-08-10 10:02
@Stevex, yes I tried it and nothing new.

@jingle:

03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042 (rev 30)
        Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device 0806
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 51
        Memory at c1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
        Capabilities:
        Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
        Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
Reply View the author
1 / 2
To page