Deepin 15.3 ——Elegant and Effective
Tofloor
poster avatar
melodyzou
deepin
2016-09-13 22:57
Author

deepin is a Linux distribution committed to providing an elegant, user-friendly, safe and stable operating system for users all over the world.

deepin 15.3 brings a highly customizable dock, and wallpaper setting is more visual and convenient. Meanwhile, this edition carried Deepin File Manager, Deepin Image Viewer, new Deepin Terminal and other Deepin applications by default to enrich the whole ecosystem. Furthermore, this edition is fully adaptive for mi notebook with high configuration.

What are the detailed changes of the new edition? Follow me to have a look!

Cool Desktop & Freely Change

New dock and its interface background is more simple and generous. System tray is optimized and its size can be fit with the application contents automatically.

New dock only kept fashion mode and efficient mode; supports the adjustment on top, bottom, left and right locations; and can adjust the icon to large, medium and small size. You can freely change location and size.

Beautiful Wallpapers & Change Freely

The access of wallpaper setting is changed to desktop context menu. Real-time preview of wallpapers is newly added and you can quickly set wallpaper for desktop and lock screen. It’s so easy to be more beautiful.

Detailed Updates & Clear At A Glance

System update log is added in system information in this edition to make update more efficient. Furthermore, offline update can also be done and update status can be known by the animation.

Optimized Details & Improved Experience

New edition carried the new Deepin Terminal 2.0, Deepin Image Viewer and Deepin Calendar. Each application is fully optimized to bring everyone the best experience. More details are optimized as follows:

Dock

• Combined power plugin and shutdown button
  • Optimized network, sound, mounting and other plugins
  • Optimized system tray management

Control Center

• Fixed the issue in display module that double-screen switching is invalid occasionally
  • Fixed the issue in display module that contents on desktop misplaced after switching double screens several times
  • Fixed the issue in network module that new users are required to identify when logging in to use network
  • Fixed the issue in sound module that sound play can not be switched to HDMI external device manually
  • Fixed the issue in date and time module that unable to add time zone occasionally
  • Fixed the issue in keyboard and language module that the setting of repeat delay is invalid after rebooted
  • Fixed the issue in boot menu that the resolution of boot menu is very low after installed the system and rebooted
  • Fixed the issue that Keyring unlock dialog always popped up

Desktop

• Fixed the issue that desktop files can not be selected and dragged occasionally
  • Fixed the issue that new templates can not be used when entering the system in the first time
  • Fixed the issue that desktop file location is reset after rebooting
  • Fixed the issue that unable to identify the icon sending to desktop from launcher

Launcher

• Added application icon theme
  • Added navigation shortcuts for Emacs style
  • Optimized animation of category text
  • Fixed the issue that incomplete display in low resolution
  • Fixed the issue that mouse can not scroll in blank area

Lock Screen and Logger

• Added background settings
  • Optimized the operation of switching user
  • Fixed the issue that unable to switch keyboard layout
  • Fixed the issue that multiple users can not be displayed fully
  • Fixed the issue that session often can not be displayed fully

Application and System Update

• Fixed the issue that download/update progress is always zero
  • Fixed the issue that auto check update function is invalid
  • Fixed the issue that the prompt of updates still exist occasionally after the system updated

Easy to Get, Simple to Install

You can experience the incredible charm of deepin with the time for just a cup of coffee!

Please download deepin mirror and watch video tutorial. With Deepin Boot Maker, you can easily install the system in your computer.

Official Downloads:

Other downloads(Synchronizing):
Sourceforge, Baidu Yun, MEGA, Community ISO Repository, Google Drive

Reminder:

deepin Alpha 2 or later editions can be upgraded to the latest edition through “Control Center→System Information”.

Advocate Freedom, Share Happiness

deepin is an open source desktop system developed for common users. You are free to download, distribute, modify and use it.

Detailed address is GitHub: https://github.com/linuxdeepin

Welcome to follow us on Twitterand Facebook to acquire latest update in the first time. Also welcome to join our https://bbs.deepin.org/module to communicate and share your joy with us.

At last, we solemnly thank those community teams and companies who have provided https://bbs.deepin.org/module/20,documentation, translation and mirroring support. You have made open source better with the selfless contribution!

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
makkon
deepin
2016-09-13 23:08
Edited by makkon at 2016-9-13 10:57

Thank you all for your hard work! MEGA, Google Drive

Reply View the author
jingle
deepin
2016-09-13 23:19
Reply View the author
Favaro
deepin
2016-09-13 23:25
Hello,

WOW Amazing Work , Thanks very much..

But.
1: Make please on Deepin Calendar, Tags, Termin , Notes
2: When comes the new Music Player ?
, Because the current is not so good , It also does not match the new design , It also has a problem on the desktop it freezes from time to time..
Reply View the author
kayoo
deepin
2016-09-14 04:53
Furthermore, this edition is fully adaptive for mi notebook with high configuration.

Thanks !!!!!
Reply View the author
jhalgova
deepin
2016-09-14 07:37
how to change wallpaper of logon screen?
Reply View the author
Favaro
deepin
2016-09-14 08:12
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31481

Right Click on Desktop  -- Set Wallpaper
Reply View the author
com_bvv
deepin
2016-09-14 08:13

Select wallpaper and select "only log screen"...
Reply View the author
lv1z
deepin
2016-09-14 11:47
Excellent !! Thank you to the developers. Keep up with the good work.
Reply View the author
ispanec
deepin
2016-09-14 13:13
Thanks to the developers. Your creativity and pace of development is very encouraging.
Reply View the author
sathish6893
deepin
2016-09-14 21:28
deepin is beautiful distro i ever seen..
i love it ,but i cant use it as my daily drive.
Reason not to use:
1.almost all mirror are slow,
2.softwares are very old in deepin software center .no latest softwares(may be its because based on debian unstable,but we need latest softwares).
3.very very bad battery backup(even after installing TLP).(my battery stats: windows=5hrs,ubuntu=3:20hrs,manjaro:4hrs,deepin:2hrs)
4.lack of power management options (eg: hibernate option,no battery percentage,statics,no screen brightness percentage,etc. )
5.lack of graphics support (even given nvidia graphics is very old version).

Reply View the author
jingle
deepin
2016-09-14 22:01
Reply View the author
opensourcefeeder
deepin
2016-09-14 22:28
Edited by opensourcefeeder at 2016-9-14 14:29

A small release feed is published here.

{
Regards.
Reply View the author
jul
deepin
2016-09-15 06:55
Reason not  ...

Despite Deepin being a nice looking distribution, alas you're right, you show issues that  I also have {
Reply View the author
interfacenode
deepin
2016-09-15 09:46
Edited by interfacenode at 2016-9-15 01:49

15.2 Review

1 ) Beautiful but clumsy UI, focus on Window selected only changed when clicking the task-bar of a window; leading to a lot of awkward moments and ruined projects as text was sent to the wrong place often; this alone destroyed the OSs usability.

2 ) Task-bar 'Classic' Mode was like elegant except granted the possibility to read the active window, this was the only usable setting for the Navbar..

3 ) Rendering error as a result of incomplete Skylake support in Kernel, CPU performance profiles are missing here. (VLC is fucked w/ new iGPU, if you need a fast way to check)

When minimizing a open VLC video, not only will the video resolution NOT scale it will remain even though VLC has been minimized.

4 ) Based on Debian-Testing, not the best idea because a lot of legacy libraries are unusable in Testing and must be back-ported into it.

5 ) WINE is a mess, Wine must be invoked as Deepin-Wine which seems to be Wine-development fork; oddly Wine-development also appears to be available too so it seems cloned.

6 ) Prior versions of Deepin had massive path-errors that resulted in source-build being impossible, we'll see if this is true in 15.3 too as in 15.2 I didn't test.

Since we're talking about WINE the prefix are a mess, Winetricks can only be used with WINE 1.8 which not many of us want to use as Crossover is based on an even older version.

A frank review of 15.3 as a power-user:

- VLC is still broken
Not much to see here. It's easy to understand no 530 issues were fixed in 15.3; but you guys get a pass because 530 is broken in every other distro too.

- Resolved the issue relating to which window was in focus
Now I can send text to the Window I have selected, and not the prior window; this is a huge upgrade and makes 15.3 actually usable (maybe)

- Destroyed the Nav-bar by removing classic fully
Elegant and Fashion are not usable for work please resolve your OS.

It's time to return Classic and to make it so all the windows in nav-bar do not stack into one icon; ok?

I know it's annoying because in prior builds there was cut-off when there were too many items on it; it did not scale.

Was hoping you folks would FIX THIS PROBLEM and not remove the component to escape this problem; but it seems to not be happening and now the Nav-bar is a big mess in 15.3 everyone hates it.

Beautiful to look at, but not functional that's why developers don't enjoy using OSx because it takes fucking forevs to navigate through things.

- Wifi dongle drivers are problematic  
It shares the driver set Ubuntu uses; so there is debuffed power-management and will severely inhibit your ability to connect to shit that is more than 20 feet from you.

This is the most apparent with Realtek dongles.

- Artifact when right-clicking to open menu on desktop
Again a result of the issues with HD530.........

- UEFI does not work on GPT partition table

Basically UEFI mode doesn't work and we're stuck using legacy.

Final thoughts

Deepin looks beautiful but more attention needs to be given to the function and core-components of it.

I recognize "Testing" branch is always bleeding edge (so I've heard) but it is always highly unstable; I understand in theory you will be able to be more "up to date" from a HW point of view by always using testing.

But in reality this isn't true, if you're going to use testing-branch you need internal testers to resolve the problems that cause developers to suggest the end-user only avoid the testing branches.

After I repo sync around 60-100GB of data and find I can't build; I imagine I'll go back to using another distro until I get punished for hoping 15.4 is the version I'll be able to use.

Since Deepin 14 I've been playing this game; to install the OS under the hope of using it full-time only to be punished.
I guess I'll stick with 15.3 until I lose my patience with the inefficient navigation bar; it's a shame because the OS is so beautiful but so flawed in the most important ways...

I have a lot of hate for the nav-bar especially, I cannot believe you guys would destroy it so throroughly; Fashion exists for screenshots and Elegant is just a less retarded version of Fashion.

Return Classic ASAP, the only usable setting.
Reply View the author
interfacenode
deepin
2016-09-15 10:02
Edited by interfacenode at 2016-9-15 12:26

Not even being brutal!

It is just disturbing to see some of the things that happened in 15.3, like marrying a beautiful woman and coming home to find some man slashed her face to pieces
Edit: You guys have literally made the most beautiful Linux distro ever, a thing that causes me to EVERY TIME format my entire HDD to install it.
Reply View the author
serenase
deepin
2016-09-17 07:36
Edited by serenase at 2016-9-16 23:38
Reason not  ...

I use Deepin my main DE daily on Manjaro. That solved most of the problems you listed above.

Here's my two cents...

File manager: I will change from Nautilus if there will be RAW support, preview like Sushi, tabs or split view and adjust for thumbnail size. For now I can't work nicely with image files witch I have lot.

Calendar: Old hud bubble was much more handy if calendars only function is just check date. How about adding events, reminders and maybe online cal support?

Movie: I just love it. Nothing to complain here.

Terminal: It's great. I would like too option to open with hotkey/keys as quake mode. That would be awesome until then I use Tilda as my main terminal.

Please bring back old sound effect settings. No it's either on or off. As we don't have permanent notifications some other feedback of action would be welcome too, but not like my machine sound like a icecream van all the time. It remains me about notification badges for dock icons?

Settings for external displays work fawless. Once set them, they stayis and it's just blug in and go. That's great.

Hard coded themes on Deepin apps are huge turn off. After all Linux is all about freedom of choice and they don't match... anything.

Option to organize dash in category mode. It's kind of mess now.

Some features that I would steal from KDE woul be KDE-Connect and Media player controls with album art...

After all I love this DE and have been using it over a year now daily as my main. Good job guys and thanks for your hard work! It's my favorite beginner distro over Ubuntu or Mint nowdays.

{

Reply View the author
doctorfreeman
deepin
2016-09-18 00:50
Impressive ;)
Reply View the author
ve******33@gmail.com
deepin
2022-12-09 17:21
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.
lu******47@gmail.com
deepin
2023-01-10 01:01
k***3@gmail.com
deepin
2023-05-10 22:28