Can no longer boot into Deepin after changing active partition
Tofloor
poster avatar
anthrodoc
deepin
2016-09-19 07:50
Author
Hello!

I recently installed Deepin 15.2 64 bit to dual-boot with my Windows 7 64 bit.

My Win7 installation has a boot partition and an OS and files partition.

My Deepin has root, boot, home, and swap partitions.

Last night, using Win7's built-in Disk Management, I set the OS partition active, when it used to be the boot partition. I wanted to convert the Win7 boot partition into a reserved partition so I can hibernate my laptop. But when I restarted, I could no longer access the GRUB, I booted directly into Win7.

How do I fix the grub? I tried booting into the Deepin installation disc, but from what I can see, there is no repair option. How do I fix this? Please help!
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
infuscomus
deepin
2016-09-19 09:50
just mark the partition that deepin is installed on as active again
Reply View the author
anthrodoc
deepin
2016-09-19 19:35
Edited by anthrodoc at 2016-9-19 11:38
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31526
just mark the partition that deepin is installed on as active again

What I meant to say was, I changed the active partition of Win7 from boot partition to the OS partition. The last thing I did before installing Deepin was to create a separate boot partition for Win7.

Also, when I tried to make the Deepin Partition boot active, I found that it's grayed out. I tried making the Win7 boot partition active again as well, but I still couldn't boot into Grub.

http://pasteboard.co/4ODmhHvvU.png
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-09-19 22:05
Is grub in the mbr or do you usevWindows Boot Manager to Boot your System?
Reply View the author
anthrodoc
deepin
2016-09-19 23:45
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31526
Is grub in the mbr or do you usevWindows Boot Manager to Boot your System?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know how to answer your question. I'm not very familiar with how mbr works.

But when I was last able to boot into deepin, I was in the grub screen. When I changed the active partitions, I was booted directly into Win7.

Is the MBR a partition? Because my current Win7 is from an image I backed-up from another hard drive. I did notice that the previous hard drive had multiple partitions, but when I loaded the image, those extra partitions became empty, only the partition with Win7 was filled.

What I did before installing Deepin was to create a separate boot partition for Win7. When I did install deepin, I created a boot partition for it as well. Should I not have done that? Should I have just set the bootloader to the partition with Win7's boot? I'm willing to start over since Deepin 15.3 was just released, but it would be great if I could clear this up!

Thanks!
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-09-20 01:24
So you are using grub
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-09-20 01:25
Google for supergrubdisk and use it from cd or an USB Stick to fix your System
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-09-20 01:28
You also could try to use ykur Win 7 cd Boot to cmd and use fdisk
Reply View the author
anthrodoc
deepin
2016-09-21 04:36
Wow, the supergrubdisk worked great! Thank you!
Reply View the author
tristar
deepin
2016-09-22 03:03
Please mark this topic as [SOLVED].
Reply View the author