Caps Lock in German Keyboard Layout
Tofloor
poster avatar
jakube
deepin
2016-09-20 12:54
Author
I'm using a german keyboard layout called Neo2. It's a little bit odd, but part of Linux distros since ~10 years. The keyboard layout uses different modes. Beside the normal small letter and big letter mode, it also has a symbols mode (programming symbols, bracets, math symbols, ...), a numbers and arrows mode, and two more with greek letters. Like when you want to write a big letter, you press a special key for using a certain mode: left or right shift for big letters, caps lock or # for symbol mode, <> or AltGr for number-arrow mode.

Every key and key combination works, except the combinations with caps lock. It's the first time, that it didn't work in a linux distro. When I press caps lock-j, nothing happens (it should print an opening bracet). So I'm missing quite a few important symbols, like ()-%"';<>=&.

Does anybody know, why the caps lock mode doesn't work under deepin? Is there a fix for it?

I've noticed, that the borders of the terminal starts to glow a little bit, when I press caps lock. I loose the focus from the line, until I release the caps lock key. It seems like caps lock has some special meaning to the operating system, and doesn't is just a regular key.

Any help?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
qinyang
deepin
2016-09-20 18:06
Hi there, please try

1. sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Copy the Code
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-09-21 03:56
Edited by horvan at 2016-9-20 13:17

Well, I repeat this that much here  because deepin has a lack of keyboard support by now.
There ishttps://bbs.deepin.org/post/31465 that shows a lot of things and it shows kexboard configuration, too. perahaps ypu like to take a look befir you triy this. If you take a look at this video be aware that it was not made for deepin on its own.  so you should start at 21:55 to see how keyboard configuration shoul be done.
Neon 2 is not shown here but in general you need to choose a compose key to be able to access the 3rd layer of your keyboard as it is often be used on laptops as well as notebooks and stuff like that. You can use caps lok as a compose key if you prefare so.

Open a terminal and use the commands as following:

1. sudo apt-get -y install console-setup console-data keyboard-configuration locales
  2. sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
  3. sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-data
  4. sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
  5. sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Copy the Code
it is nessesary because the console-setup package is missing by default.

configure your keyboard as needed whyle you execute each reconfigure command
in locals you can deselect en_uss to get conosle texts in german by default
in keyboard configuration you can choos standard
and your compose key (caps lock) when you execute teh reconfiguratin part.
This will take effect ater you restart the keyboard setup service

you could either use sudo service
  1. keyboard-setup restart
Copy the Code

or simple do
  1. sudo reboot now
Copy the Code

when you are done

By the way you could use the https://bbs.deepin.org/module/38 here, too. We would love to see it to be more active!
Reply View the author
jakube
deepin
2016-09-22 05:30
Thanks for the replies.

I tried the recommended keyboard configurations. Sadly nothing completely worked. I can still not access the third mode with the caps lock key. It still looks like, that I exit the text area temporarily whenever I press the caps lock key.

But...
After a reboot the key suddenly worked. I was able to write all the special mode characters using caps lock, but in exchange the normal shift key didn't work. (Also in the normal german keyboard layout). After one more reboot, the shift started working again, and the caps lock stopped.

I'll give it a few more tries. Maybe I can find any solution that fixes the problem.
Deepin is only install on a partition, so I can work normally on another Linux distro in the meantime.
Reply View the author