Login loop!
Tofloor
poster avatar
zwitter1
deepin
2016-10-07 07:20
Author
So it appears I have run into a lovely cascade of problems....

1. My system crashed this morning after a successful login. The system acted as though it was frozen, aside from it letting me move my mouse. Then on reboot it brought me to the login page where it proceeded to send me through a login loop... In the past I have found this to be a problem with a video driver which every fix you read about online requires opening up a tty console (ctl alt f(1-6)) and that leads to my next problem:

2. I can not enter a tty console. Any time I hit ctl alt f3 (or any function key for that matter) it brings me to a blank page and turns off my monitors. This is where things get fun... to fix this everything online says to simply login and edit grub from the terminal because again its a problem with the video card.... See problem 1....... SOOO that leads me to recovery mode and problem 3!

3. Booting into recovery mode from grub leads me to a lovely screen that ends on a process: "fb: switching to nouveaufb from simple" where it once again hangs... Yay.

I'm out of things to try. I have been using this rig with this Nvidia driver and this OS for the past several work days without flaw, and now it seems to have bricked itself. at the stage of problem #3 I could get to a login screen by mashing any number of buttons including ctl c, and escape and that seems to bring me back to a login menu where I once again have looping login. At this stage I can then hit ctl alt f3 and im presented with a single line "EHCI PCI platform driver"... yay.

Any help would be appreciated. My Rig is all as new as it gets with a i7-6800k, and a gtx 1080 (which means i don't have an alternate video port to use as some have suggested).

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
stevex
deepin
2016-10-07 08:27
Hi. You can install supergrubdisk to a usb drive,which should allow you to boot into Deepin and edit grub from there. Supergrubdisk is only 10 or so Mgb to download and you can find it here:   http://www.supergrubdisk.org/      Good luck.
Reply View the author