Tofloor
poster avatar
calgues
deepin
2016-10-09 08:00
Author
Edited by calgues at 2016-11-26 01:06

Hello there.

I am trying to install the catalyst legacy drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 2600. The fglrx-driver does not support old  cards anymore and now you have to install fglrx-legacy-driver, which is not in the deepin repos.
I followed the debian wiki and added the wheezy backports repo. But when I try to install the drivers launching SUDO APT INSTALL FGLRX-LEGACY-DRIVER, I get a bunch of errors saying the package requires some dependencies that cannot be installed. My output is in Italian, but you can easily understand which dependencies cannot be installed:

I seguenti pacchetti hanno dipendenze non soddisfatte:
fglrx-legacy-driver : Dipende: xorg-video-abi-12 ma non è installabile oppure
                                xorg-video-abi-11 ma non è installabile oppure
                                xorg-video-abi-10 ma non è installabile oppure
                                xorg-video-abi-8 ma non è installabile oppure
                                xorg-video-abi-6.0 ma non è installabile
                       Dipende: glx-alternative-fglrx (>= 0.3)
                       Raccomanda: fglrx-legacy-modules-dkms (= 8.97.100.7-3~bpo70+1) ma non sta per essere installato oppure
                                   fglrx-kernel-8.97.100.7
                       Raccomanda: libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx (= 8.97.100.7-3~bpo70+1) ma non sta per essere installato
                       Raccomanda: libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx-i386 ma non è installabile
                       Raccomanda: fglrx-legacy-atieventsd ma non sta per essere installato
E: Impossibile correggere i problemi, ci sono pacchetti danneggiati bloccati.

So, how can you install the catalyst legacy drivers on deepin? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
calgues
deepin
2016-11-26 09:06
Great! Thanks for the advice, though I cannot try it now cause I replaced my old pc with a new one with an Nvidia card and all works great. Anyway I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks a lot for the effort.
Reply View the author
calgues
deepin
2016-10-09 08:23
I cannot install with official AMD .run binary either. It tells me some tools for installation are missing. What method can I follow to install Legacy drivers?
Reply View the author
doorsoft
deepin
2016-10-09 11:01
i have Nvidia, but try to install build-essential before, maby it need it for make the kernel integration... ¿?

sudo apt-get install build-essential
Reply View the author
nhoya
deepin
2016-10-10 05:49
Start fixing the dependencies:

1. sudo apt-get install gcc g++ make dkms fakeroot
Copy the Code

Download the last deb for your Graphic Card  from AMD website http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Unzip it and make it executable
  1. chmod +x amd-driver-installer-*.run
Copy the Code

Execute the installer
  1. sudo ./amd-driver-installer-*.run --install
Copy the Code

Create the X config file with
  1. sudo aticonfig --initial
Copy the Code

Now reboot and enjoy

This is how to run the catalyst drivers on debian but no idea what o expect on deepin with DDE)

Reply View the author
calgues
deepin
2016-10-10 14:57
Thanks guys but already done.

I have everything you asked already installed and this is what the ATI installer returns in the log:

Check if system has the tools required for installation.
fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers.  /lib/modules/4.4.0-2-deepin-amd64/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.

Anything to suggest?
Reply View the author
doorsoft
deepin
2016-10-10 22:43
Edited by doorsoft at 2016-10-10 14:44

Yes, but deepin install it by default i think.. anyway try this:

sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

if you also have it force the installation:

• sudo ./amd-driver-installer-*.run --install --force

Reply View the author
calgues
deepin
2016-10-11 06:24
Edited by calgues at 2016-10-10 22:26

Don't I incur the risk of breaking the X server if I force it? Do I have a command to restore the xorg-xserver-video-radeon package from the command line without using the internet if need to?
Reply View the author
nhoya
deepin
2016-10-11 06:50
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31613
Thanks guys but already done.

I have everything you asked already installed and this is what the AT ...

You just need the kernel headers

1. sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Copy the Code
Reply View the author
nhoya
deepin
2016-10-11 06:52
Edited by nhoya at 2016-10-11 00:01
Don't I incur the risk of breaking the X server if I force it? Do I have a command to restore the xo ...

You need internet connection just to download the packages so if you want to restore the Xorg you need to download the free drivers, so yes, you need it. Don't force the operation, just install the headers
Reply View the author
calgues
deepin
2016-10-13 02:47
You need internet connection just to download the packages so if you want to restore the Xorg you n ...

As I already said, I already have the headers installed. I also posted the error which the installer gives back. No luck.
Reply View the author
calgues
deepin
2016-10-13 03:01
Another strange thing: I noticed that xserver-xorg-video-radeon depends on xorg-video-abi-19 package, which actually does not exist in the repos. How is that possible that I am using this driver without a dependency? Also, this is the same packages which the fglrx deb package wanted to install: whose absence caused the failed installation of the .deb proprietary driver. Any clues about this?
Reply View the author
nhoya
deepin
2016-10-17 08:33
Ok, found your problem, actually version.h has been relocated in the newest kernel versions so just create a symlink and you are done

1. sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /lib/modules/$(uname -r)-generic/build/include/linux/version.h
Copy the Code

Reply View the author