Tofloor
poster avatar
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-10-10 21:06
Author
Edited by kelbodelta at 2016-11-8 22:01

Hi.

I have been able to use deepin for most part. Except when it comes to installing my Brother printer, which works fine in other debian related distros (ubuntu, linux mint, etc)

here is what I know:
Printer is connected via wifi
Brother DOES have drivers available for linux. These drivers download the 32 bits version of the drivers for printers, 64 bits version for the drivers for scanner.
My system is 64 bits (I have 12 G of ram, so I need it 64 bits)
Other distros, most of them (if not all) the printer works fine with the drivers downloaded from brother website.

Once I attempt to install the drivers (I read about pre-requisites, and followed them, it still does not help), not only the printer does not install correctly, it corrupts my package manager, leaving me with an installation unable to install or update packages anymore.

I need help. This is the distro I am really looking forward to use the most, but not being able to properly use the printer is what is basically stopping me from using it in the main machine. I do have a guinea pig machine where I am trying to fix this issue (I can't be left with an broken system in my everyday use machine).

Thanks very much.  

Here is the link where I download the drivers from brother.
http://support.brother.com/g/b/d ... 2540dw_us_as&os=128
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
krzysztof_w
deepin
2016-11-14 01:33
And here is how to install scaner Brother on Linux (in my case DCP-J152W, which is also printer

Download and install those packages : brscan4, brscan-skey and brother-udev-rule.
Check if your Brother model is available to configure - run command in terminal:
- brsaneconfig4 -q
If your Brother model is on the list after perform previous step, then you can configure it:
- brsaneconfig4 -a name=DCPJ152W model=DCP-J152W ip=192.168.1.102
Test if your Brother printer is available through the network:
- brsaneconfig4 -p.
If your device is responding, you can go to the next step.
Finally use tools like XSane or VueScan or whatever to scan your docs using Brother scanner.

The IP adress above is mine, you can use any other.
Good luck.
Reply View the author
doorsoft
deepin
2016-10-11 11:56
Hi,

I have a Brother MFC-7420 printer and work fine with deepin and brother drivers... but i have it connected to usb port, so i dont know about it..

1. Try to reinstall drivers, sometimes is the solution, i dont know why.. ;)
2. The setup from brother download some .deb files.. if the reinstallation dont work, use dpkg -i to install the files
3. after use dpkg -i try to execute sudo apt-get install -f (because some dependency is needed)

In the installation process ask you about the port you will be use.. type the printer IP.. with all this it have to work fine..
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-10-11 17:00
Tried that.
I got around to fixing the repositories, because the installation breaks them.
Working on it today I found that cupswrapper[printermodel] was not available or installed, and it is not a package I can download from the official store.

I have compiled as many files (which I understand are prerequisites) to install before actually installing the printer drivers. The only thing I accomplished is not to break the repository.
It still shows error with ia32-libs (which is no longer supported, and it has been replaced by newer libraries, which I installed).
After this, the printer shows in the printer box, but it does not have a dnssd:// address.

So I am left with a printer that shows in the printer settings, but it won't print, saying that drivers missing.

I feel like I am getting close, but not quite there yet.

BTW, I am documenting what packages I am installing to make it work, so I could share here once I get it fixed, so others could benefit.
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-10-11 23:40
Have you trieb to download Linux divers Directory from Brotes Support  sirte?
Reply View the author
horvan
deepin
2016-10-11 23:43
If the 64 Bit Version  dieser Do it try the 32  Bit one
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-10-13 15:27
yes, I did download and installed the correct version of the drivers from the brothers website. That is what I am actually trying to install without breaking the system.

No I managed to get to the end, with the fewest errors possible (ia32-libs still gives me an error, but I have its replacements packages installed), and I did not break my system anymore, only that the printer is still not working.

it shows in the printers settings, and print dialogs.... document even shows going into the printer (in the print queue) and dissappearing as if it printed, but it does not.

I have two other computers I dare not to install deepin until I solve this problem, because we would be unable to print at home then.

Anyone can give me a hand please?
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-10-16 11:26
Hi guys.

I did a fresh install in the laptop. I thought maybe connecting it through usb would detect it, but it does not. Same thing happens when using a usb cable.

I have installed this printer in: Ubuntu, Elementary, Linux Mint, and other distros, and every time it works.... this is actually the first time this printer is not being installed successfully.

Any Ideas?
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-10-19 07:45
well, I managed to make it print, but it's a dirty fix.

I installed all the prerequisites (which I have to or else repositories break), then I upgraded the system the the latest kernel 4.8.2 from kernel.org (I grabbed a .deb for ubuntu).
The kernel installed, no errors. After that I added the printer manually from the printers settings, and it did print fine.

BUT... I get the feeling this is not the ideal solution... I really don't know if anything else broke when upgrading the kernel, since it's a delicate thing to upgrade.

Anyone knows if it is safe to upgrade to an ubuntu .deb kernel file?
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-11-08 13:48
I finally solved it... it took some previous prerequisites installations, and manual installation of the files the script downloads.

I am preparing a document on it, but I don't see many people with printer problems around here...

Thx to everyone who commented trying to help me.
Reply View the author
kelbodelta
deepin
2016-11-09 06:24
The following are taken from a script I made to install printer prerequisites. I made it from various sources around the web. My linux deepin install was 64 bits. If you are going to follow this through, please update your system before you begin. This update step is very important. Do not skip.

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
sudo aa-complain cupsd
sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
#previous command AS IT IS

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/init.d/lpd
sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd

#required apps to be installed. ia32-libs is not found, and it has been replaced with the following two
sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 avahi-utils
sudo apt-get install csh
sudo apt-get install sane-utils
sudo apt-get install psutils
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon avahi-discover libnss-mdns
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install -y libc6-i386 lib32stdc++6 lib32gcc1 lib32ncurses5 lib32z1

Then I made the following:
In another machine (or virtualbox, I tried both, both ways work just fine), I ran the brother script driver installation, which downloaded several deb files in the directory of the script, I ran the following:

chmod a+rw *.deb

because the files were owned by root only, otherwise I wouldn't be able to reuse them.
now comes the tricky part. we need those files, but the script messes up with the distro configuration somehow, so I copied those deb files into a USB and manually installed the files, and it worked just fine. problem solved! The files I installed were:

dcpl2540dwlpr-3.2.0-1a.i386.deb
dcpl2540dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1a.i386.deb
brscan4-0.4.4-1.amd64.deb
brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.0-1.all.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

I tried this on a clean install of linux deepin, and went to printing in no time.

Please note:
I did not run the install script in the machine I wanted to use. The script tries to configure the system, and it runs with admin privileges.... it breaks the system, but we need the files it downloads, that is why a virtual machine is a good idea to run it.

Also when printing.... the first message I receive is an error in printing, while the printer receives the data, warms up and prints, then it says completed. so even when it says there is an error, it actually prints. But this behavior is common to all linux distributions I have tried, and not exclusive of deepin.

I did not follow through steps to make the scanner 1-click work, because I barely scan, and it involves forwarding a port in the router to my pc.

I hope this helps another person looking to install this printer (or another similar)

Reply View the author