Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
Tofloor
poster avatar
tupnip
deepin
2016-10-16 16:06
Author
Linux Deepin seems to be an amazing open source distribution of Linux developed in China, yet China is infamous for censorship.

Because an Operating System is such a low-level element in our digital lives, users need to trust it 100%. Windows and Mac have backdoors and are not worthy of trust. However Deepin as an alternative comes from a country with the Great Firewall of China and appears to be funded by 'Wuhan Technology' company.

Also, open source software can still have malicious code in it, provided people checking the code don't find it. Vulnerabilities like Adobe Flash player can be left intentionally not up to date.

Despite this, I trust Deepin. I do, however, have a hard time explaining to other people why they should install Deepin on their computers. I hope you can provide objective answers to the following questions.

1) How can 'Wuhan Technology' afford to pay for the highly-skilled Deepin developers (and hosting) if the product makes no money, harvests no data and is only for the good of humanity?

2) What motivation (other than humanitarian) is there to make Deepin?

3) How would you convince a skeptic that there are no hidden catches?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
2 / 5
To page
amitchouksey
deepin
2017-01-24 22:39
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/131637
maybe you could get some answer from this? { https://www.deepin.org/dduc2016

This link is dead.
Reply View the author
amitchouksey
deepin
2017-01-24 22:55
I also came across this link in quora.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Deepin-compare-with-Elementary-OS/answers/9834001?srid=uBnq0

Anyone would like to comment?
Reply View the author
moonlimb
deepin
2017-01-24 22:57
I trust Chinese people, censorship, and tech, so I trust deepin OS.
Reply View the author
jmat
deepin
2017-05-08 11:00
Edited by jmat at 2017-5-13 06:02

The Chinese have adopted Linux as their preferred computing platform and as such are showing their expertise in putting their knowledge and contribution into the technology of computing. While this political discussion is very valid, you should assume that any contact that you have with the outside world through  technology should always be suspect, but then it is up to you to be informed as  to how to use the technology.  This distribution  has been panned and checked and tested and investigated by software engineers all over the world. If there were alarms to be raised, you would have heard them by now. It's not easy living and functioning in the new paranoid world of technology where the illusion of free will blinds us, but you do have to maintain a certain perspective. Let's not be as naive as those folks who put their whole lives on facebook.com and then hypnotize themselves into thinking that it is an experience that belongs to them exclusively. If you interact with the technology you are either the product or the customer. Caveat Emptor.
Reply View the author
lulinux
deepin
2017-05-08 18:14
Funny prejudice!
Reply View the author
cargo
deepin
2017-05-08 19:12
johnson_pw: "I found a great looking Linux distro the other day, I'm considering using it as my main ...

are there any good enough linux distributions from your country?cos I'm in China, and the gov maybe knock my house door
Reply View the author
Comments
quxiand
2018-05-10 20:13
Funny prejudice!
黑色
deepin
2017-05-08 21:19
Like other Linux desktop distros,they sell entrtprise versions,the code is completely open source,everything you want has been listed by following,so try using it for sometime,you're gonna get the answer of whether to trust or recommand this distro.
Reply View the author
markson
deepin
2017-05-09 01:41
The opem-source is the ture meaning
Reply View the author
kingskill
deepin
2017-05-09 06:03
are there any good enough linux distributions from your country?cos I'm in China, and the gov mayb ...

Are U serious for the  door knocking?Are U kidding us?
Reply View the author
gunnydeepin
deepin
2017-05-11 09:18
The fact is the ascendency of the west (especially the US) is over and with the current gaggle of morons running our country now, its not likely to return in the foreseeable future. China is poised to become the next great economic and political power and are already starting to lead the world in technology, economics, and renewable energy. Plus, there seems to be a keen understanding of the sorry state our world is in regarding depleted resources and climate change. I am not afraid of their technological prowess and it seems to me the US is more likely to be watching me than China.
Reply View the author
cargo
deepin
2017-05-28 07:16
Are U serious for the  door knocking?Are U kidding us?

Just a joke
Reply View the author
atony
deepin
2017-05-28 09:21
these days,microsoft released his win10 china government edition.do you think that this a way for the USA to monitor chinese government secretly?
Reply View the author
atony
deepin
2017-05-28 09:25
本帖最后由 atony 于 2017-5-28 01:28 编辑

I don't think our government dare to use it as official os.And actually,our government is developing their os like neokylin and ubuntukylin to take place of win one day.
Reply View the author
atony
deepin
2017-05-28 09:33
However, the Chinese government has always been friendly to Microsoft, so the above mentioned words will not be achieved in a short period of time
Reply View the author
leonardo520
deepin
2017-05-28 15:41
Do you  trust American distribution? You are just idiot with prejudice.
Reply View the author
atony
deepin
2017-05-28 16:33
本帖最后由 atony 于 2017-5-28 08:42 编辑
leonardo520 发表于 2017-5-28 07:41
Do you  trust American distribution? You are just idiot with prejudice.

i trust american distribution. but i dont trust windows.windows is not open source.and there is still more loophole which can be used by NSA and microsofr even dont know that.so i use linux.actually the below is a picture of internet arms,which are most effective in windows.
The arms are secretly made by a group of NSA,,but recently they are leaked.

Reply View the author
huaifeng
deepin
2017-05-28 17:04
因为deepin是中国公司生产的你们就不相信?你可曾听过中国监控哪个国家?你可了解美国"棱镜门".你不相信我们的国家仅仅是因为西方媒体宣传的威胁论,他们只是给你洗脑而已.
if you could not unstand what i say,you can translate it with google.
Reply View the author
leeguam
deepin
2017-05-28 18:00
censorship is form of controls, in our society is a must for the ruling class, NO privacy in anyway,
US vs CHINA = censorship from ruling class, no different what so ever,
as for Deepin, MS Window, IOS, Andorid & Linux(s), is part of small pictures (controls),
safe (OS) haven is delusional.
if privacy is you goal, use 4 or 5 browsers for internet browsing,  reinstall OS every one or two months.
Reply View the author
pac
deepin
2017-07-10 00:02
Edited by pac at 2017-7-9 20:27

just like you cant make a big os in china without approval from the g0v, you also cant make a big os in the u.s or the west, with g0v aproval. if youre os gets big enough, and the g0v cant control it, you'll get shutdown. no matter where. thats why theres so few operating systems. from what we see, theres windows, android, linux, and mac. thats VERY little, considering how many countries are out there. all 4 of these are under the thumb of the u.s rejim. nothing gets made without their aproval. and i;ll give u another reason why u should go with a chinese os over a western os, because the chinese g0v doesnt have the power to cross borders to arest people, but the west does. the west also has the ability to do things like blacklist you from intl flights, and so forth, not to mention freeze your intl bank accounts. the chinese dont. so if ur doing, or saying something that the west doesnt like (including copyrights), then you;ll be met with alot of obstacles. one example i can think of is when kim.com got arrested in nz under the dictate of the u.s rejim. he was arested, and his asets were seized. theres also alot of unpublicized cases that youll never hear of because the corp0rate media doesnt want you to know.

china is also a developing country. theyre trying to build themselves up, and are not in a position to screw its users. the west, on the other hand, have a hegemony over the world, and has no challengers. they have absolute power, and can afford to do things like eaves drop, shut down your website, arest you,  humiliate you, embaras you, close your accounts without notice. a couple of examples are facebook, and paypal. notice that facebook can freeze your account, force you to show your id, show your face, identify your friends; or verify your phone number on a periodic basis. another site is paypal. they are the biggest payment site in the world, therefore they do whatever they want. some of you who have used the site know what i'm talking about. they can freeze your account without reason, and keep whatever money you have in it, and theres very little you can do to challenge them. they can do this because they are an established monopoly, so they can do that, but if youre a small site thats just starting out, and trying to get users, then you cant pull stunts like that. same thing applies to countries. if youre a strong country like america, or europe, then you do whatever you want, and step on whoever you want. if youre china, then you better watch your every move, because the west is just waiting for you to screw up, and blast you all over their media. on the other hand, china is usually afraid to criticize the west, even when the west is screwing users over like facebook, paypal, and google has done. you never hear xinhua criticize them. people are like kids. if no one disciplines a child, he will act a fool, and do whatever he wants. this is the position the west is in today. no one dares to criticize them. thats why if they close your accounts, and keep your money, no one will make a fuss about it. on the other hand, if china was robbing people wholesale on alibaba, then it will be all over cnn, and bbc.

not saying that chinese sites, and os wont screw its users, but logically speaking, theyre in less of a position to do so than western sites, and os.

response to author -

what does chinese sensorship have to do with anything? the chinese sensorship is done at the isp level, not the operating system. also, the browsers that are on deepin are all western, so if chrome doesnt sensor you, then you can go to any website your gwailo master allows you to view. as far as i know sogou, 360, and uc browser are not available on deepin, but i have opened google on uc browser, and never had any problems. in fact, uc browser is india's favorite browser, and indians are heavily reliant on western websites. you question deepin's validity because you think they have no way of making an os without harvesting data, but how does mint, and ubuntu afford to pay for their developers? and why dont we question ubuntu, and mint's motivation? i do, thats why i dont use them, but i think that ubuntu is just a bad os, and it isnt ubuntu's ties to western intel ajencies that deters me from using it. mint is better than ubuntu, but it doesnt come with alot of stuff like foxmail, qq. it's also harder to install programs on mint than deepin's store. how does unbuntu, and mint convince a skeptic that there are no hidden catches?
Reply View the author
palomarjack
deepin
2017-09-02 15:50
Need an easy to use Linux OS, so I don't have to worry about a virus some "looser polyp in the colon of society" wrote, for my wife to use. I've seen many comments on this thread concerned of it's origin. People, not to worry, think about it, if there's a security issue I doubt it would have 9.03/10 rating on DistroWatch. Someone, somewhere by now would have found something that would have gotten it pulled from such a reputable site as DistroWatch. So, I'm about to install now and find out " Just how good this bird can fly".

As for the politics, I'm not baggin' on someone if A) they're happy where they live for whatever reason, or B) can't do anything about it, as of yet.
Reply View the author
2 / 5
To page