Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
Tofloor
poster avatar
tupnip
deepin
2016-10-16 16:06
Author
Linux Deepin seems to be an amazing open source distribution of Linux developed in China, yet China is infamous for censorship.

Because an Operating System is such a low-level element in our digital lives, users need to trust it 100%. Windows and Mac have backdoors and are not worthy of trust. However Deepin as an alternative comes from a country with the Great Firewall of China and appears to be funded by 'Wuhan Technology' company.

Also, open source software can still have malicious code in it, provided people checking the code don't find it. Vulnerabilities like Adobe Flash player can be left intentionally not up to date.

Despite this, I trust Deepin. I do, however, have a hard time explaining to other people why they should install Deepin on their computers. I hope you can provide objective answers to the following questions.

1) How can 'Wuhan Technology' afford to pay for the highly-skilled Deepin developers (and hosting) if the product makes no money, harvests no data and is only for the good of humanity?

2) What motivation (other than humanitarian) is there to make Deepin?

3) How would you convince a skeptic that there are no hidden catches?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
3 / 5
To page
Chdslv
deepin
2017-12-08 04:07
My computers are made in China. My mobiles are made in China. And, most of the appliances at home are made in China. Why shouldn't I trust a distro from China? I've been to China and it is a country of nice people.
Reply View the author
talon0011
deepin
2017-12-08 04:40
本帖最后由 tuxcraft 于 2017-12-7 20:41 编辑

HAHA……
are you kiding me ?   
you can trust the microsoft , google or NSA's PRISM project,or other closed source software.
Reply View the author
star_echo
deepin
2017-12-08 05:40
好吧,标题党。没啥干货
Reply View the author
Comments
tmacy
2017-12-08 06:13
可以练练英文阅读
star_echo
deepin
2017-12-08 06:44
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/131637
好吧,标题党。没啥干货

为一个政治正确的贴子,浪费了大家好多脑细胞,不值的。
Reply View the author
shamine
deepin
2017-12-08 16:33
This dude does't know the definition of open source
Reply View the author
josemarcos
deepin
2017-12-09 04:11
Edited by josemarcos at 2017-12-8 20:14

I am 100% confident in Deepin and the development team. They are excellent professionals who bring us, for free, particularly the best Linux distribution. I do not trust Google, Microsoft and Facebook.
Reply View the author
diegoskda
deepin
2018-03-20 09:42

I installed Deepin on my machine, and I confess that I really liked the answer. there are many things that can be improved like installing drivers, but the simplicity of this OS is fantastic for both ordinary and advanced users. About security, there is no 100% secure system anywhere in the world considering that 50% or more of that subject comes from the user, knowing or not what they want to look for and where to go with their OS.
Reply View the author
152******09
deepin
2018-03-20 12:07
Reply View the author
corbs
deepin
2018-03-21 09:04
WHY GET DEEPIN?! IT'S FREAKING BEAUITFUL!
Reply View the author
max-payload
deepin
2018-03-21 12:21
Question for you (and the whole world will fall over me but consider this):

Linux Ubuntu seems to be an amazing open source distribution of Linux developed in South Africa, yet South Africa is infamous for corruption.

Because an Operating System is such a low-level element in our digital lives, users need to trust it 100%. Windows and Mac have backdoors and are not worthy of trust. However Ubuntu as an alternative comes from a country with great corruption problems and appears to be funded by 'Canonical'

Also, open source software can still have malicious code in it, provided people checking the code don't find it. Vulnerabilities like Adobe Flash player can be left intentionally not up to date.

Despite this, I trust Ubuntu. I do, however, have a hard time explaining to other people why they should install Ubuntu on their computers. I hope you can provide objective answers to the following questions.

1) How can 'Canonical' afford to pay for the highly-skilled Ubuntu developers (and hosting) if the product makes no money, harvests no data and is only for the good of humanity?

2) What motivation (other than humanitarian) is there to make Ubuntu?

3) How would you convince a skeptic that there are no hidden catches?
Reply View the author
max-payload
deepin
2018-03-23 07:05
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/131637
Why does Deepin (and its users) have to waste their time to earn the trust of arrogant westerns who  ...

Oh boy, do i agree with syqiven (cudos!!) and nipos. Americans tend distrust everything that is not "US made". Its not there fault. They dont learn about the patriot act, FACTA and all kinds of other laws and the implications these laws have on things like encryption, software and so on. My reason to choose Deepin is, besides that its beautifull, is that it has no relation what soever to the US (nor UK)

But again, why do we discuss this? Case closed?
Reply View the author
cattial
deepin
2018-03-23 17:10
lol,hahahah,interesting。
Reply View the author
cattial
deepin
2018-03-23 17:11
这是来搞事情的
Reply View the author
deepin
2018-03-23 19:00
The trust issue was never a problem for me. But I think that can be a criteria to think about.
I have no trust issue for Windows and macOS either.
All I care about this high reliable and stable system.
Reply View the author
mohistman
deepin
2018-03-23 20:42
本帖最后由 mohistman 于 2018-3-23 14:47 编辑

Dislike the company work for Operating System like Apple or Microsoft, the Linux companies work more for their own interests. They focus more on which they good at or interested in, rather than high salary. To tell you the truth, although in China, this company still cannot be trusted by Chinese government because of the item they work for at the first time. Linux is a party which make people who love open source and sharing things get together. Frankly, it is hardly to explain the specific reasons for you, but towards me, I think maybe common interests, sharing spirit and free will should be three main points motivate them. They love their work, that's all reasons they work there. They have their own beliefs, and want contribute to the human being and the world. As the the open source movements are conducting in full swing, I wish all people working for open source have a good future and excellent career. Future belongs to open source and Linux.
Reply View the author
mach50
deepin
2018-05-07 00:56
what a stupid post from the beginner , it makes me laughing such dummys out there ...
first of all if you dont love deepin and you dont run it why the hell you start such a post
if you ask your self this ? why i must trust ubuntu ??? or is it you are from the usa !!!
1/ microsoft is spyware , and abit more than that .
2/the deepin (the so call video that is making by some idiot that deepin use a tracker or sevver whatever in the software store is not any proof they are spying.
and so what (what is spying ? your ip , your host , your computer name , or provider ,) in that software of deepin , (let me tell you some thing very clear i work with computers from 1980 bbs and amiga development. all connections is it ubuntu , mint , debian or whatever DO JUST THE SAME JUST THE SAME...
IF YOU CONNECT FTP SERVERS (THE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU ) IF YOU CONNECT A REPO THEY KNOW ..
OR YOU MUST BE A VERY SMART ASS TO TERMITE YOUR IP THAT YOUR HOST IS ANONYMOUS ...
BUT EVERY DISTRO WHAT YOU ARE CALLING SPYING - UBUNTU COLLECTED ALOT MORE THAN YOU THINK , SO MINT USE UBUNTU BASE SO YOU ARE FUCKT
Reply View the author
sbhawani72
deepin
2018-05-24 14:49
Edited by sbhawani72 at 2018-5-24 06:50

it is really very beautiful OS based on Linux. I am going to make it my Main OS in the laptop. and if we talking about to trust on the Os. it's a very simple answer, How many things are made in China? those things which are not made in China, still many of there components are made in China. You can believe in it like other operating systems. I really appreciate the work of Deepin OS and it's developers for developing their own applications for Linux os. in other Linux distros they all use common and limited open source apps. but Deeping bringing something new in the world of open source OSs. It looks really awesome. if Linux developers or any company who is developing Linux based OS charge for the support then that is not wrong still people are saving a lot of money than using Windows and Mac.
Reply View the author
lulinux
deepin
2018-05-24 16:15
这是个喷子,关起来严刑拷打,共产主义万岁。
Reply View the author
star_echo
deepin
2018-05-24 23:09
本帖最后由 star_echo 于 2018-5-24 15:11 编辑

爱信信,不信滚。
中国的软件又不吃你家粮。

Reply View the author
simchgab
deepin
2018-06-06 13:39
Edited by simchgab at 2018-6-6 05:41

hahaha guys in this moment google are reading all your mails , mails in gmail send in text plain message , but you have a problem with deepin or other distro? yahoo send your emails to FBI and others.
Is best dont thinking. Other way you don't use any S.O or program, service in internet. Much less Windows or internet of thinks
hahaha.
Reply View the author
3 / 5
To page