Why trust a Chinese Distribution?
Tofloor
poster avatar
tupnip
deepin
2016-10-16 16:06
Author
Linux Deepin seems to be an amazing open source distribution of Linux developed in China, yet China is infamous for censorship.

Because an Operating System is such a low-level element in our digital lives, users need to trust it 100%. Windows and Mac have backdoors and are not worthy of trust. However Deepin as an alternative comes from a country with the Great Firewall of China and appears to be funded by 'Wuhan Technology' company.

Also, open source software can still have malicious code in it, provided people checking the code don't find it. Vulnerabilities like Adobe Flash player can be left intentionally not up to date.

Despite this, I trust Deepin. I do, however, have a hard time explaining to other people why they should install Deepin on their computers. I hope you can provide objective answers to the following questions.

1) How can 'Wuhan Technology' afford to pay for the highly-skilled Deepin developers (and hosting) if the product makes no money, harvests no data and is only for the good of humanity?

2) What motivation (other than humanitarian) is there to make Deepin?

3) How would you convince a skeptic that there are no hidden catches?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
5 / 5
To page
johnson_pw
deepin
2016-11-02 07:04
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31637
You may be absolutely right but let me ask you a question before you heard about deepin you had Micr ...

Did you mean ethics rather than ethnic?  

I still use Windows and also use Qubes, TAILS, Raspbian, Deepin, and Parrot.  Whatever I feel is best for what I'm doing.

Governments can jail you, that is the difference between CPC/NSA/GCHQ and Microsoft/Apple.  Even if Deepin is entirely compromised by the Chinese government, that is not likely to personally affect me.
Reply View the author
diegodio
deepin
2016-11-02 16:00
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31637
Thank a lot everyone for all the replies. Especially Nhoya as I found your answer helpful.

I have n ...

I believe that it has been a very good discussion.
Reply View the author
seb
deepin
2016-11-06 08:50
Keep in mind that a solid Chinese OS was a long time coming. With Asia's growing influence in the world I suspect that more and more Chinese companies will ditch US software in favor of their own. In fact 40% of Dell computers in China use a homegrown Linux-based Windows XP knockoff but most computers are still running regular-old Windows XP. Deepin Linux could be a step in the right direction. Having an open source version available to the public is a lot better than not having an open source version at all.
Reply View the author
kainxkitsune
deepin
2016-11-08 10:03
I agree with some of the other posts made. Deepin isn't any more or less trustworthy off the bat then Microsoft, apple, and other distros such as Ubuntu ect. Plus if talking about China as a whole from the US perspective we already trust them to.manufacturer a huge majority of just about everything. The LG G5 in my hand was more tthen likely made and china and LG from japan could have me running a modified android that spying on everything I do. So who knows. But the nice thing about open source projects is you can pick apart the source yourself and see what it is doing. I dropped Ubuntu in favor of deepin. So far I really like it.
Reply View the author
idbc
deepin
2016-11-09 13:05
Microsoft and Apple are commercial companies and all that they can do with your data --- collect your personal information and then sell it to marketers.
If you afraid of Big Brother or something --- ask yourself just one question: how much it will costs? If you don't know the cost you can call detective agency and ask for what is cost for shadowing for my wife? Answer will be about $300 per hour. Then think who will spend such money for your data? Right, nobody. Sorry for poor English.
Reply View the author
5 / 5
To page