How to install GCC 5.3.1 for vmWare Workstation?
Tofloor
poster avatar
savanweylyn
deepin
2016-10-31 01:29
Author
I have gcc-5 (Debian 5.4.1-1) installed on Deepin 15.3, but vmWare  Workstation requires gcc 5.3.1. Running sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all returns Failed to get gcc information.
So how do i insatll gcc 5.3.1? Or is there a workaround to use vmWare  Workstation with current gcc version?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
tacster
deepin
2016-10-31 02:17
I got the same issue,also tried to manually update/reinstall but no luck. {
Reply View the author
willrainbow
deepin
2016-11-01 05:51
Hi savanweylyn, I have the same issue.

My version of VMware Player was 12.1.0. I uninstalled it and installed the new one 12.5 but I had the same issue.

I also tried to change the version of the booting kernel thinking that new updates I installed made a new kernel which could explain this VMware Player issue. Unfortunately, I don't succes changing the booting kernel ! I still boot with 4.4.0-3 amd64.

I don't know what else can I do.

For your information, I lauched the same command as you (vmware-modconfig.... all) and I get the same error message.

If someone knows how to solve this issue, we would be very thankful !
Reply View the author
willrainbow
deepin
2016-11-01 07:03
SUCCESS !!!

Well, I tried many things and encountered many errors and still have the same error message from VMware but I finally succeed to launch the VMware Player 12.5.

I followed instructions on this page : Page on Kali's forum

It works (for me) while before solving the issus I indicated the path to gcc-5 in the VMware windows and get an error message.

Hope it will be as fine for you as it has been for me !
Reply View the author
savanweylyn
deepin
2016-11-02 02:24
Edited by savanweylyn at 2016-11-1 11:33
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31686
SUCCESS !!!

Well, I tried many things and encountered many errors and still have the same error mes ...

It didn't work for me.
  1. $ sudo apt-get remove gcc-6
  2. Az alábbi csomagoknak teljesítetlen függőségei vannak:
  3. build-essential : Függ ettől: gcc (>= 4:5.3) de az nincs telepítésre megjelölve
  4.                    Függ ettől: g++ (>= 4:5.3) de az nincs telepítésre megjelölve
  5. E: Hiba, a pkgProblemResolver::Resolve töréseket generált, ezt visszafogott csomagok okozhatják.
Copy the Code
same to sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove gcc-6 and sudo apt-get purge gcc-6
  1. $ apt list --installed | grep build-essential
  2. build-essential/unknown,now 12.2 amd64 [installed]
Copy the Code
  1. vmware -v
  2. Mware Workstation 12.5.1 build-4542065
Copy the Code
Reply View the author
rhp
deepin
2016-11-02 22:37
Hi,

After the updates it didn't work for me either (probably default gcc version was set to 6), but actually you don't have to install / remove gcc at all.
VMWare asks for the path to gcc 5.3.1 multiple times, and it looks like as it would be in a loop and doesn't accept the gcc-5 path definition, BUT actually it does accept it.

So, you just have to set the path to gcc-5 multiple times and it should go forward eventually, maybe after 3-4 times.
Reply View the author
savanweylyn
deepin
2016-11-03 03:10
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31686
Hi,

After the updates it didn't work for me either (probably default gcc version was set to 6), but ...

It worked! Thanks!
Reply View the author