New to Linux ... how much potential does Deepin have?
Tofloor
poster avatar
seb
deepin
2016-11-06 08:22
Author
I decided to switch from Windows 10 to Linux because Windows 10 is shit. I like Apple products but dislike how constrained using the OS makes me feel. So I wanted to find something that I could have total control over. I'm a big nerd too so learning Linux sounded like fun.

I've used Tails and Kali in the past for certain tasks... but there's no way I'd use either as my main OS.

I've also used Chrome OS (which is garbage unless you live your life online.)

So I downloaded Ubuntu... Linux Mint... Arch Linux... and Deepin...

I tried using Ubuntu first because it's touted as the best distro for noobs like me. It's also based on Debian which was a big plus considering I've used Tails and Kali. But I guess I don't see the appeal. I mean sure there's a ton of support online - which is helpful - and it's been around for a while. But it seems so bloated and the design is terrible. I mean I'd rather just use Xubuntu or something because at least it looks decent (side note: I'd never heard of elementary OS at the time but might give it a shot.) Ubuntu looks like it was made for people who don't care what they use as long as it's not Windows.

I don't want to sound oo harsh because after all it is free software... but if someone could please explain to me what makes Ubuntu so popular I'd love to know.

Next I tried Deepin.

I had a few problems at first (such as it freezing for no reason whatsoever) but managed to work around them. So far it's not bad at all. I love the design... it makes Linux Mint look so outdated... and the pre-installed apps are good. I was thinking about using it full-time... but like I said: I'm a total noob. If someone wants to talk me out of it I'm open-minded. I guess the biggest issue is lack of support. But what other things should I consider?

I haven't tested Arch or Mint. I was excited about Mint at first but after looking at some screenshots it reminds me of something that crawled out of the 90's.

So what OS do you use, and would you recommend Deepin for someone who's a noob but also wants to learn more about Linux? Why or why not?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
1 / 2
To page
wangyong
deepin
2016-11-09 21:04
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/131715
What I really love about deepin, is that it's done a whole lot more in 4 years than ubuntu in more t ...

Thanks to support, we have a long way to go, we look forward to the future to bring you a more perfect operating system experience.
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-09 21:50
Hi. If you just wanna every thing in your control, I strongly recommend Arch. As you are an English speaker, it's quite easy for you to build your own system with the help of Arch wiki. Good luck
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-09 21:53
Well, deepin does receive some tiny donations but most of their money comes from Chinese government. My country is quite odd right?
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-09 22:01
seb 发表于 2016-11-6 08:18
Edited by seb at 2016-11-6 08:23

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "I love Deepin as a ...

actually Arch is the easiest distro to handle. With the help of pacman and yaourt, you just need a single command to install the software you want, as pacman has already solved all dependence problems. No matter what distribution you use, they all have the Linux kernel, so they are quite like. If you can handle one then you can handle most of them.
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-09 22:02
wangyong 发表于 2016-11-9 13:04
Thanks to support, we have a long way to go, we look forward to the future to bring you a more per ...

勇哥你这英文。。。
Reply View the author
wangyong
deepin
2016-11-09 22:15
勇哥你这英文。。。

google translation (谷歌翻译)
Reply View the author
summving
deepin
2016-11-09 22:58
"easy to use,beautiful,active”
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-10 04:30
wangyong 发表于 2016-11-9 14:15
google translation (谷歌翻译)

其实如果深度需要的话,我可以当个英文版的志愿者,我是xfce中文翻译组的
Reply View the author
kainxkitsune
deepin
2016-11-10 05:21
I just switched to manjaro deepin I really do love deepin, if they can get some.US mirrors going it would.have been great my only.issue running official deepin was I couldn't get my desktop background to Span both my monitors
Reply View the author
keepitss
deepin
2016-11-10 07:53
I just switched to manjaro deepin I really do love deepin, if they can get some.US mirrors going it  ...

deepin is awesome, thank u.
well, deepin is just developed by a small Chinese company and it takes to attract more users. if deepin has enough users, it will be massive mirrors
besides, deepin does have quite many annoying bugs but they do work hard to make deepin better and u can just visit github to see what those chinese engineers are doing
anyway, enjoy it!
Reply View the author
jotapesse
deepin
2016-11-10 14:24
Thanks to support, we have a long way to go, we look forward to the future to bring you a more per ...

Thank you! :-) Very happy with the way Deepin is following.
Reply View the author
moonlimb
deepin
2016-11-10 17:11
本帖最后由 moonlimb 于 2016-11-10 09:17 编辑

First of all, you should know why you select unix/linux as your main os? Then, what kinds of work that are operated on this platform? Thirdly,  you'd better try to install different kinds of distros in your PC because they're free. Finally,  you'll get the most appropriate os for you after comparisons. Um, in my personal view, there is no the best distro but the most appropriate one (e.g. stability, active community ).  Good luck!
ps. I love Deepin for its active developer and community, characteristic apps although it is not very stable compare to, for example,  centos, ubuntu, mint.
Reply View the author
serenase
deepin
2016-11-06 10:17
I love Deepin as a desktop environment, but as a distro... not so. I use Manjaro Deepin. Manjaro is based on Arch, but very user friendly. If you wanna learn, I would recommend that. There's much larger reposities, never software and more desktop environments if you wanna try. Community is quite large and friendly as it is here too. It depends your user habits. Every first time Linux user I always install original Deepin, there's nothing even close to get people use Linux and feel right comfortable with that.
Reply View the author
seb
deepin
2016-11-06 16:18
Edited by seb at 2016-11-6 08:23

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "I love Deepin as a desktop environment, but as a distro... not so"? It is because it's hard to customize?

I was really excited about Arch at first, it seemed so perfect, but it isn't based on debian and I worry that it will be confusing switching between Arch, Tails, and Kali. Is that not the case?
edit- what I really want is to...  
a) learn Linux (so that I understand what's going on when I run commands in Tails and Kali)  
b) have a clean looking desktop
Reply View the author
miguex
deepin
2016-11-07 14:05
What I really love about deepin, is that it's done a whole lot more in 4 years than ubuntu in more than 20 years. You can see in the store how many apps are becoming compatible with deepin, how the design is simply beautiful, and how it's advancing. Sure it has some bugs but nothing to care about. In my opinion you should TOTALLY use deepin
Reply View the author
serenase
deepin
2016-11-08 07:50
Edited by serenase at 2016-11-7 23:58
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/31715
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "I love Deepin as a desktop environment, but as a distr ...

I mean I love Deepin as desktop, but not fan of Debian based distros so I use it on Manjaro. Mostly 'cos I need newer versions of photography software etc. and it's easier maintain with Arch based Distro.

https://manjaro.github.io/Manjaro-Deepin-16.03-released/
Reply View the author
kainxkitsune
deepin
2016-11-08 09:52
Is manjaro deepin still Arch based? I just installed it last night and was confused with it used apt instead of say pacman or something.
Reply View the author
kainxkitsune
deepin
2016-11-08 19:13
Edited by kainxkitsune at 2016-11-8 11:14
Is manjaro deepin still Arch based? I just installed it last night and was confused with it used apt ...
@ https://bbs.deepin.org/user/48248
I have manjaro deepin install and there is no pacman it has APT
Reply View the author
serenase
deepin
2016-11-09 00:19
Edited by serenase at 2016-11-8 16:26
@ serenase
I have manjaro deepin install and there is no pacman it has APT

Manjaro Deepin hasn't got Deepin Software Center nor apt. Are you sure? What does your screenfetch saying?

Reply View the author
leonhardtwo
deepin
2016-11-09 02:51
I have been testing a lot of linux distributions for a long time, I agree that for Deepin users it is best to have Deepin-without any offending animosity. On the contrary, one of the things that hits linux is the lack of accessibility and adaptability of a Desktop to the end user and I think that to my modest opinion, deepin has achieved it, that it lacks some details to polish, very true, but it has achieved a lot with respect to other distributions, however as almost all have the same "base" You can venture to console mode with deepin, or you can create virtual machines with virtualbox and go testing another you want, for server I recommend -debian-, there are better but you can start with debian and another one that I recommend more for its stability is manjaro linux Is based on arch, but very very good also for more advanced users. Recommend you for the moment concentrate on one, and if you want with a virtualbox go testing others, so suffer less your pc and you of course.
regards
Reply View the author
1 / 2
To page