Upgrade kills GRUB on UEFI/gpt system triple boot
Tofloor
poster avatar
Platypus
deepin
2017-01-11 23:54
Author
Hi there,

I'm writing to give notice to a problem that is not new (possibly a bug but I think not) but I feel needs bringing to developers attention.This has happened to me at least 3 times now.

My partition is set up on UEFI/gpt so I can run DI alongside another LINUX os and a Windows 10 partition. It's triple boot. Each time there is a kernel upgrade or a significant upgrade of Deepin  that requires a GRUB refresh, I lose my GRUB menu and cannot boot into DI at all.

The problem seems to be that a GRUB update only defaults to legacy mode. It doesn't seem to recognise the UEFI/gpt partitioning at all.

The first time I found this I simply reinstalled DI, but it is a lot of work to get things back to where they were. Over past months I have blocked kernel updates to avoid the problem.

After a lot of reading and failed attempts to reinstall the GRUB-efi-amd64, I simply went to my BIOS and reset it to read legacy parittions. BUT I now don't have Windows 10.

(I can still get into Windows via the BIOS boot menu - but I miss the convenience of having it listed in GRUB).

Just thought I should mention this. I have noticed a thread where someone had a similar problem some time ago.
Cheers
Platypus

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
stevex
deepin
2017-01-12 05:47
Hi. This worked for me to get W10 back in grub menu: you can install synaptic package manager to Deepin "sudo apt-get install synaptic"  and then find grub packages using synaptic and mark them for "reinstallation". Then reboot and see if W10 is in boot menu. Hope it works for you.
Reply View the author
Platypus
deepin
2017-01-22 19:59
First thing I always install after new Deepin is Synaptic. Can't live without it. I'll give it a go - although I think I've tried before. I'll give it another try.

Cheers
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2017-01-23 08:46
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/134051
First thing I always install after new Deepin is Synaptic. Can't live without it. I'll give it a go  ...

If reinstalling grub packages doesn't work, you can try installing "grub customizer" and "supergrubdisk":  http://www.supergrubdisk.org/  is always a handy tool to have at hand. Good luck.
Reply View the author