Anyone try Deepin on a Tablet with a docking Keyboard?
Tofloor
poster avatar
elizabeth
deepin
2017-01-17 21:31
Author
I was wandering because the Desktop would look better than Ubuntu's Unity, I have this on my Laptops and Debian on my desktop.

But I got am RCA Cambio Tablet, a convertable so has the docking keyboard thats removable.

I'm not sure Deepin kernel would support the hardware etc.  The best I've found so far is Ubuntu Zesty Alpha its still a lot of worki to get touch screen working, ACPI, battery monitor, auto rotate, dock/undock functions.

May be possible to inject a Zesty kernel into Deepin or the Deepin desktop in to Zesty.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
HualetWang
deepin
2017-01-18 03:04
Deepin's supporting the latest LTS kernel 4.9, so it's likely that Deepin supports your tablet. But, Deepin's lacking hiDPI support and touch screen support, so it's up to yourself to give it a try or not.
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2017-01-18 09:22
It seems to be using the I915 driver, display seems to work fine, maybe can be tweak some.  As far as touch screen, best I can tell they do have basic support (limited to single touch) if you can get your drivers and firmware loaded.  Which is as far as I have got, I'm stuck at the calibration and configuration.  Touch support I think is limited to a very few devices out of the box even on Debian or Ubuntu.

I think I'll look at installing the Deepin desktop into Ubuntu first may take some work with package version conflicts.

If it installed and was working minus some hardware, I could install the Zesty 4.9.0-11-linuxium Kernel  

Deepin should work on its touch screen support, it would make a nice GUI for a tablet or touch laptop.  Seems to come down to the need of a user friendly calibration and configuration program.  Having all the drivers available and firmware could be another issue.
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2017-01-18 10:22
Looks like I can just add these Zesty Repos  Should work with out package conflicts.

http://packages.linuxdeepin.com/ubuntu/dists/zesty/

Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2017-01-18 17:48
I was able to easily inject the linuxium kernel on to my Deepin 64 bit laptop.

I however did crash the Deepin 15.3 64bit installer   I already planned that.  Grub fails to install on every 64bit distro but it didn't give me the errors, just exited so I'm not sure if everything was setup?  So far still working to command line boot into it.  Also downloading the 32bit but I don't know if it includes 32bit efi boot!

Most 64bit have EFI but not 32bit, so you inject the grubia32.efi and it boots but won't install grub.  You command line in and install grub 32bit efi.

Its a work around for x86 devices that have 64bit cpu but a 32bit efi.
Reply View the author
elizabeth
deepin
2017-01-19 09:53
Update Deepin 15.3 64 successfully Installed on a tablet, still needs hardware tweaking and the boot loader configured for menu boot.

Install as normal but select Grub Boot Loader instead of EFI, select the Partition your using for the root for Grub Install.  This allows it to install Grub and complete the installation.

We will then rebuild Grub or use another Boot loader such as Grub2forWin which what works best on this tablet.  I'll then chainload the Grub2-efi once installed so that my kernel options update.
Reply View the author