Wayland support
Tofloor
poster avatar
bmentink
deepin
2017-01-18 12:34
Author
Hi,

What is the current status of Wayland support in Deepin.?

I did a search for wayland in this forum, but only get posts in Chinese, and I can't seem to translate to English, so useless search to me, please fix this.

Regards,

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
jingle
deepin
2017-01-18 16:57
I don't have such a plan yet.
Reply View the author
stevex
deepin
2017-01-18 17:24
Hello. I just searched for "wayland" in this forum and was able to translate the Chinese posts into English just fine using Google Translate App. Hope this helps.
Reply View the author
bmentink
deepin
2017-01-19 09:41
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/134276
I don't have such a plan yet.

May I ask why not?

Most major Desktops have moved to Wayland, or are in the process of ... e.g. Gnome3 is using Wayland by default. Wayland gives a much better/Faster/Slicker responding Desktop than Xorg, and is lighter on resources ..

SInce deepin-mutter does already support Wayland, what would be the roadblocks to adding Wayland support?
Reply View the author
Comments
marvvvv
2017-06-13 08:26
unlimited
deepin
2017-01-19 16:00
there is no sign for supporting wayland in deepinos in the future.
Reply View the author
markus
deepin
2017-07-10 05:47
I've browsed some code, and it looks like there is quite some progress.

A simple example:

1. 'deepin-wm --help' shows
Copy the Code

1.   --wayland                 Run as a wayland compositor
Copy the Code

as one of the options.
And on the Deepin Mutter component

As for older applications xwayland will provide support. It seems like all the pieces are there.
Reply View the author
xolotl
deepin
2017-07-12 17:01
Deepin would be foolish to not move to Wayland and should look in to the possibilities of expanding the development team if there are currently not enough resources for such endeavours.
Reply View the author
qiansen1386
deepin
2018-12-15 01:07
As what I can see. There are some major issues with Wayland.
1. Wayland is not stable yet, nobody want to experience how all the windows crash at the same time. Switching to it is irresponsible for Deepin's users.
2. It do not support proprietary drivers very well. At this stage, it is nothing more than a Geek's toy.
3. Last but not the least, Deepin Desktop Environment(DDE) use many internal APIs of X11. To support Wayland, DDE need to undergo a major refactoring. That's a huge amount of resources. A small company like Deepin cannot blindly invest in something without a significant benefit.

At this stage, they are still keen on squeezing more performance out of existing stacks instead of switching to a new stack. New Technology has new issues to fix. You just cannot consider the new technology can be a magic pill that automatically solves all the problems.
Reply View the author