AppImage support?
Tofloor
poster avatar
orao
deepin
2017-05-19 04:52
Author
Hello. I've been using Deepin OS on virtual machine for some time. Your UI looks great, however I have some issues and the most irritating one is  the lack of support for AppImages. I tried to install an app (Gravit Designer) but it doesn't work. I can use it as a web app, but it's not the same experience. I hope you can fix this, because it already works on systems like Ubuntu.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dimador
deepin
2017-05-19 05:09
Edited by dimador at 2017-5-18 21:13

You actually can use AppImages in deepin.  You need to make it executable and then run:
  1. chmod a+x appName.AppImage
  2. ./appName.AppImage
Copy the Code
It works for me...
Reply View the author
orao
deepin
2017-05-19 08:45
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/139656
You actually can use AppImages in deepin.  You need to make it executable and then run:
It works for ...

I know that. But if you look at the terminal while using the AppImage file that way you can see some error reports. Anyway, is it possible to integrate the app with the system, so that I can start by clicking its icon in the dock panel? Thanks.
Reply View the author
nipos
deepin
2017-05-20 04:26
Create a file with the extension .sh and the following content:
/path/to/your.AppImage
Make sure that the AppImage and the .sh file have execution rights.
Then you can open it by clicking the .sh file.
Reply View the author
xolotl
deepin
2017-05-20 16:07
Well that's fine for us but not for the non-technical people who use Deepin
Reply View the author
orao
deepin
2017-05-21 13:46
Thanks for the advices. However, I found a better solution. The problem was in Deepin file manager, it seems that it has a bad support for AppImages. I am new to Linux and maybe my observations don't make sense, but when I installed Nautilus  I could finally start the AppImage files without any problem.
This post can also be an appeal for the Deepin os developer team to enhance this part of their otherwise great Linux distro.
Anyway, I have another question regarding the AppImage files. I still can't make a shortcut icon on desktop except copying the 50 MB large file on it. Is there a way to send only the icon on the desktop?
Reply View the author
alh54
deepin
2017-05-24 14:18
You can create a symbolic link:
  1. ln -s /path/to/your.AppImage /home//Desktop/
Copy the Code
Reply View the author